Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to turn off sleep score

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Is there a way to turn off sleep score? Sleep score is absolutely useless. As a shift worker and poor sleeper I’d like to know how many hours I slept per day and on an average week so I can catch up sleep. A sleep score is absolutely useless and judgemental. My wife sleeps like a log and I’m wrestles and sleep walk yet our scores are identical.

I don’t want some random meaningless number to judge how I slept. Being judged for poor sleep actually causes more anxiety and issues for my already bad sleep.

Best Answer
294 REPLIES 294
Sat night was 7 3/4 hrs with 2 hrs rem and 1.5 hrs deep, all at or above
the max range for my age. Sleep score of 61. Tonight, I've slept so far a
bit less than 3 hrs with 19 min rem (below the min range for my age) and 42
mins deep (above the range). Sleep score 70. How can 3 hrs of sleep be
better than 7 3/4 hrs of sleep with almost any mix of rem/deep components,
and particularly these ones? I'm not as bothered as many by removal of
average sleep hours since I focus on my rem and deep components, but I'm no
longer going to pay any attention to sleep score unless Fitbit repairs or
explains this seemingly meaningless computation.
Best Answer

My main reason for using Fitbit was to control my sleep hours. With this update it is practically useless for me...  Dear Fitbit's team, you shot your foot

Best Answer

Instead of having us have to ask/beg/plead the developer to give us options on opting out of sleep score and back to hrs (also reset past sleep data), be proactive and give us options because you value our business as well as optimizing customer experience!

Best Answer

A few people are unable to see their hours slept since Sleep Score was added. It is there just not on the screen it was.

To see your average hours slept click on the Sleep line on the dashboard. Swipe to the second graph “Hours slept”.

3E9D7CC4-8EB0-4211-BAB4-0B93C573A222.jpeg

Click the two arrows at the top right to show the graph in full screen. The first screen shows you the hours slept for the current week. You can swipe back through your hours slept history or see a month, 3 month or a year summary.

0290142C-3BDC-4426-96EC-70973442697C.jpeg

Flex 2, Charge 2, Charge 3, iPhone X
Best Answer

Yes it's possible to see the average hours sleep with a bunch of clicks. Remember when your car had an update that required you to hit a specific series of buttons on the radio and AC before turning the key and having the car start? No, oh wait. That's right, it's stupid to add a layer of extra steps to see something useful instead of this pointless sleep score.

Oh thanks fitbit for making me look at how inaccurate your product is. After all this stupidity, I looked at my REM and Deep sleep as tracked by fitbit. Last night 37min REM and 13min deep. Looked at an actual dedicated hardware sleep tracker: 57min REM and 66min Deep.  Thanks fitbit for highlighting the inaccuracy of your overpriced products

Best Answer

Thank You!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Dear Fitbit, thanks for providing a great example of unethical algorithms I can share in a classroom on Ethics and AI.

This sleep score algorithm is not transparent to the average user. It may in fact cause harm, especially to certain folks like those with mental health issues, shift workers, new moms, etc.

Future studies will probably shed light on how this kind of scoring affects users' mental well being. I imagine putting more thought into feature design will help you to avoid backlash. Just a suggestion...

Best Answer
So, I figured out to bring up that page, but I still don't see average
hours slept. I want the averages for each week. Not seeing weekly averages
like before they screwed up the app
Best Answer

I don't get the 2 arrows you show in your screen shots.  Mine look more like for angle markers.  When I click them, in takes me out of the graph screen.  I really wish the idiots who approved these changes would be disciplined and they'd just bring back the app the exact way it was before they hosed it.

Best Answer

I agree, it’s my first time on any forum because I feel strongly about this feature being optional. I want to know my average sleep for the week not a score that I need to become a premium member to get any info on it.

Make it optional & bring back average sleep stats.

Please listen to your customers.

Moderator edit: all-caps

Best Answer

Sleep score is absolutely awful. Please can we revert back to the actual time asleep? I cannot recommend this product to people any more as sleep score makes no sense to anyone.

Best Answer

Another vote to go back to hours rather than score.  For all reasons others have detailed so well!

Best Answer

I have been using Fitbit products with mixed satisfaction and frustration for 4 years. I've rolled with hardware and software difficulties over time, mostly coming down in the side of staying with Fitbit because the alternatives aren't clearly superior.

Fitbit's algorithms for using motion and heart rate to track sleep are inaccurate enough that I regularly need to enter my sleep manually, which was almost never the case when Fitbit used motion alone. That's frustrating, but the introduction of a meaningless Sleep Score makes me consider stop using an activity tracker altogether. I am not a toddler or a competitive sleeper - I do not need to be scored on my sleep!

If there are users who want to opt in to gamified slumber based on an unscientific point system, you can let them. For the rest of us, just put simple sleep time tracking back as it was.

Best Answer
I was looking at getting a new sleep tracker because of the sleep score and also I want something that wakes me up during light sleep, so I did a little research. Sleep scores are not unique to Fitbit, in fact it looks like they added it to compete with some of their competitors. It looks like they came up with the idea for judgement of sleep, excellent, good, fair, and poor. A number alone isn't too harsh and is easy to ignore but the judgement is really a menace. The creators of this monster failed dreadfully to use proper scientific analysis and allow for a placebo effect in the testing phase I suspect. In this case the placebo effect can be so psychologically strong that seeing the word 'poor' against your sleep could easily have a negative impact on your day.

If you haven't used a fitness tracker and you'd like one for sleep tracking, a sleep score is probably a good marketing tool for dummies that need everything quantified simply like a single numbered sleep score, regardless of its failure for efficacy.

If you're reading this Fitbit, at the very least, please get rid of the judgement on the sleep scores and have respect for the intelligence for the users who understand the low probability of giving an accurate score for sleep on a daily basis from a thing on your wrist. Even if one day the technology exists to do this accurately, giving a rating of 'poor' is downright irresponsible.
Best Answer
Interesting, ethics, that's a good point! Does ethics include the failure to take the placebo affect into account when evaluating a product? If you told someone that had a good night's sleep that they sleep quality was poor, the effect on that persons day could easily be impacted in a negative way. The efficacy of the Sleep score is highly questionable. Also a single score could be appealing as a marketing tool even if it has low efficacy. I suspect that is ethically questionable as well, not that ethics means anything when it verses profit.
Best Answer

I don't get the arrows button.  I get a FullScreen button.

Let me be clear. The only reason I have a Fitbit is to track my sleep.  

As posted many times before...the "Sleep Score" is useless and stupid.  How do you score sleep without knowing my sleep goals? My goals are not your goals!  My "Score" is based on different criteria and those other criteria are not tracked by the Fitbit. The Fitbit either needs to allow additional criteria to be added to the "Sleep Score" algorithm or needs to keep their opinion of my sleep success to themselves.

I have had insomnia for most of my life.  I am making a number of life changes including job/career, food, scheduling and many others to bring my sleep under control.  Fitbit is only a TINY part of that process.  I need a device that provides information that is USED TO PROVIDE. There are move functional, better-supported devices on the market.  Please restore the functionality that caused me to purchase this device in the first place.

Best Answer

That's a good point, however I fear that the developers ego and profit will trump looking after us as customers, however I hope I'm wrong. Since buying a Fitbit I noticed that they seem to have an air of arrogance almost like it's a privilege for us to have a Fitbit attitude. I'm concerned that this affects their ability to make good decisions on behalf of customers. While many users  of Fitbit will be able to see the inadequacies of the sleep score, as a marketing tool it could have some success giving people the illusion that their sleep quality can be quantified with a single number. As I've mentioned in other posts, it's not just the sleep score, it's fairly easy to ignore a number, but the judgement placed on the number I find is highly problematic and ethically questionable. Fitbit aren't the only company to have a number in an attempt to quantify sleep, but they appear to be the only ones that have labelled it. I don't understand how anyone could think that labelling your sleep quality as poor could be helpful in anyway.

Best Answer

Oh, they will tell you how the sleep score is calculated. 

Just send them 13 bucks a month! 

It's a loot box like feature. 

Best Answer

Too bad Fitbit still doesn't get rid of the sleep score after my last response. Seriously... GTFO with the sleep score!!!! I will recommend no one to get a Charge 3 like this.

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you swipe to the hours of sleep chart and expand it you see average hours per week as a number at the top. I'm still on team 'Wtf fitbit' but at least you can see it somewhere.

I don't like that you can't see week over week trends at all anymore though other than manually scrolling through the chart.

Best Answer