Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with GPS Tracking on Fitbit iOS App

ANSWERED

I wanted to bring up an issue I've been experiencing with the Fitbit iOS app recently, and I'm hoping someone here might have some insight or solutions.

It seems that the app is not marking all GPS points accurately during my activities, and at times, it's even skipping waypoints altogether (drawing lines over none pathways etc). This has made it impossible for me to trace and record my data accurately, which is incredibly frustrating as I rely on this information to track my progress and performance. mi pretty stable in my routes so I know what the data output should be.

I'm not sure if this is a widespread issue or if it's just affecting a few users like myself, but if anyone else has encountered similar problems or has any suggestions on how to fix it, I would greatly appreciate your input.

I've tried restarting my phone and reinstalling the app, disable/enable the location permission but unfortunately, the issue persists. If there are any troubleshooting steps I haven't tried yet, please let me know.

Best Answer
117 REPLIES 117

All latest updates did not fix the gps to the point when it was in February. 
GPS is still wonky, distance is less than other trackers fro ten to twenty percent, you have to have the app open all time when walking or running. 
I contacted help desk and their advice uninstall, reinstall, unpair and pair again did not work. 
Why am I paying for premium? Google failed to provide service they charged for.

Best Answer

Why would anyone set their fitbit to “Always” and allow google to track and record your precise location 24x7?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for posting this so I didn’t have to. It is EXACTLY how I would have said it. The fact they haven’t fixed this in the LAST TWO updates is ridiculous. 

Best Answer

So, they've basically disabled the background app refresh - which worked fine before. Maybe the goal is to push everyone to Google Pixel watches with Google phones.

Having to keep the app active is impractical for any vigorous or long duration activity.  I lose at least 25% of distance is the app vs Sense tracking.  This is the same activity:

Sense 4.05 mi

mhouse_2-1715374682586.png

App 2.95 mi

mhouse_3-1715374738256.png

Best Answer

I’ll change mine from always to when using and see what happens tomorrow. Thanks 

Best Answer
0 Votes

My app is always open. Fit but won’t update at all if it isn’t open. This is not the problem. GPS is the problem. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

So I changed my location from always to while using and don’t you know the tracking worked perfectly!! Thanks for the heads up on this oddity. 

Best Answer

I believe it is their plan to take the technology from the Fitbit and put it into their garmin and dissolve the Fitbit name. MHO. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

It’s the time for me to drop Fitbit and buy something is not Google. 
if BigG want to drive my decision. This only drive me to push out G. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’ve tracked a path using the same Versa4 GPS and now I can see correctly the path. 
As soon the V4 stops working, I’ll replace it with something not G. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
So I reset my Versa 3 to factory default, essentially wiping it clean and starting again, and not it works well. distance is still sometimes short of other measurements such as a race course or other apps and that is bothersome, but not having the other issues anymore.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everybody ! Thank you for messages and screenshots. We appreciate your patience while this is being investigated

Please try the following : 

1. Force close the Fitbit app and delete it from your device.
2. Restart your iPhone. (off/on)
3. Reinstall the Fitbit app from the App Store and log in.
4. On the App tap on the plus icon (+) > Start exercise . Start a run , walk or hike, with the app and grant the necessary location permissions.
GPS tracking should now work as expected.

Would you please confirm if this worked or if you need further assistance 

JuanFitbit | Community Moderator, Fitbit. Hat dir mein Beitrag geholfen dann markier ihn als Lösung und gib mir Kudos !! Habt ihr Tipps um fitter zu werden? Lifestyle Discussion forum.

Best Answer

Is this still unresolved? I have very recently had this issue with my charge 6. Tied to a recent iPhone Fitbit update. One day it was tracking GPS walking routes perfectly fine. I walk 4-6 miles a day and use GPS in the app to track my route. After a recent app update it’s a mess. Completely undercalcating the distance. 

IMG_3829.png

IMG_3830.png

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same here.  Once I changed to While Using App it tracked perfectly with my Sense. Unfortunately that means the Weather app doesn't work anymore.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I followed the instructions from JuanFitbit's 5/13 post and got good tracking starting the walk from just the app. Before that I had to start from both my watch and the app to get good tracking. I had changed Location Services to "while using app", so I don't know if that's a factor, but I'll be testing various configurations in the coming days. 

Best Answer

I am having this problem too and have been having it for a few weeks. I have a Charge 4 and an iPhone 14. I tried using a Charge 6 but that was useless as no altimeter so I went back to the Charge 4 and I upgraded from an iPhone 8 SE to the 14 and still have the problem, perhaps even worse as it was partly working last week but now not at all.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Have a new Sense 2, still not working. 

IMG_4796.png

Best Answer
0 Votes

This did not fix the gps issue I’ve had since March and now the music control is randomly calling contacts while my phone is locked in my pocket and increasing and decreasing volume.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ok, so I followed the recommendation from @JuanFitbit.  It reinstalls with Location set to "While Using".  As previously noted - this allows the GPS work in the app.  Other features do not.  Weather requires location to be on "Always" to update - even if the app is open.  So now we have to choose which of the features we've paid for we want to use.  Fitbit should really clarify that some features are now (or may become after upgrades) mutually exclusive so they don't continue to deceive new users.

I updated to 4.17 yesterday so this is still an issue.

Best Answer

Hi everybody! Thank you for your messages! I will inform our team about your feedback. 
We are releasing a new app update in the next days (V4.17) please keep an eye open for it and let us know if with the update the issue still occurs. 

If you already have the new update, please let me know, so that I can pass the info to our team. 

We appreciate your collaboration

JuanFitbit | Community Moderator, Fitbit. Hat dir mein Beitrag geholfen dann markier ihn als Lösung und gib mir Kudos !! Habt ihr Tipps um fitter zu werden? Lifestyle Discussion forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes