Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sleep score feature available with Premium

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Why do I now need to pay for data from the fitness tracker I bought? 

The whole purpose of buying a fitness tracker is to get access to the data from it, now we're being asked to pay again to access the data? Seem like doubling dipping?

There was no indication when I bought the tracker that I would need to pay a subscription to access the data from it.

In particular why are the sleeping heart rate and restlessness stats no longer accessible?

I actually like the new dashboard, I think it looks good and is functional, it's just disappointing that a cash grab is being made to try to get us to pay for something we already paid for when we bought the trackers.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

This seems like a very dishonest moderation. The post has nothing to do with the sleep score, I made the post because we are now required to pay for some of the data from our tracker. In particular the sleeping heart rate and restlessness data. This is not synthetic data such as the sleep score, but raw tracking data from our Fitbit which is not locked behind a paywall.

If you want to edit the title for clarity, please change it to: 'Payment for sleeping heart rate and restlessness data'. It would seem that the post was edit to obfuscate my complaints rather than for clarity.

Both the editing of posts on this forum and the requirement for expensive annual payments to access fitness tracking data(not made up sleep score) is disappointing, and dishonest I feel. 

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
30 REPLIES 30

Hi @Neddy170, welcome back. I'm glad to see you here.

I see where are you coming from, and thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. Our team released the sleep scores feature, that included two new stats: sleeping heart rate and restlessness. While the sleep scores are available just for Premium Subscription, the Fitbit app will keep syncing and showing your heart rate, sleep, steps, distance, and the rest of your information for free. I'm sorry about this misunderstanding, our team will continue working to improve our services based on the Community Forums.

See you around.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Your sleep score is infuriating. No more average hours slept per week. I use the Fitbit to track my sleep patterns as a shift worker. This sleep score number is totally useless to a lot of us. 

Best Answer

This seems like a very dishonest moderation. The post has nothing to do with the sleep score, I made the post because we are now required to pay for some of the data from our tracker. In particular the sleeping heart rate and restlessness data. This is not synthetic data such as the sleep score, but raw tracking data from our Fitbit which is not locked behind a paywall.

If you want to edit the title for clarity, please change it to: 'Payment for sleeping heart rate and restlessness data'. It would seem that the post was edit to obfuscate my complaints rather than for clarity.

Both the editing of posts on this forum and the requirement for expensive annual payments to access fitness tracking data(not made up sleep score) is disappointing, and dishonest I feel. 

Best Answer

And to try and get everyone to pay for a new feature (which requires heart rate data that isn’t part of the data my Fitbit flex2) you put it as the default screen for everyone. So now I have to swipe left to get to my sleep info.

Thats just great 👎

Best Answer

Hi @dan801@Neddy170 and @SunsetRunner. I'm glad to see you here, and I'm sorry for my delayed response.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts about the sleep score details. Our team often reviews the Community to improve our services them based on your feedback. While the Fitbit Premium subscription will allow you to see more details about our sleep score, our team will continue working on this feature without taking your comments for granted.

Feel free to reply back if you have another question.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the new dashboard but have no option anywhere in my app to actually pay for premium. I’m probably one of the few people that wants to pay and get a sleep score. I’ve checked in the sleep data screen & there is no learn more option that would even give me the option. I use a charge 3. 

Best Answer

Honestly, at this point I think my fitbit is a lost cause... Cost of ownership has now doubled if I want all sleep tracking features. When I bought the device, I knew that fitbit were working on sleep tracking, there was no idication that this would require extra payment. This has drastically change the cost of ownership for those interested in sleep tracking.

Additioanlly, the device is plagued with so many bugs and random issues.

Issues I've experienced:

- Black screen where nothing shows until you change watch faces in app

- Alarms going off when they wern't set, support got me to permanently delete all alarms, as this was the only way to stop those that were not turned on in the first place from going off randomly.

- Couuld not change exercise shortsuts in app, they would just revert after sync. Support got me to change it via the web, and that worked. It should work via the app if the option is there.

- Heart rate monitor off by 20-40 bpm when elevated (even when i'm completely still). Support told me not to compare to other trackers, like a heart rate is a subjective thing that can be interpreted in multiple ways. This makes no sense, I can understand small differneces, but not 40 bpm when standing still.

- Step count accuracy is very questionable. Reading were significantly higher than my apple watch.

There are probably other issues, those are the ones that come to mind first.

I'm regretting purchasing my fitbit instead of another apple watch now that the cost is very similair when taking into account the subscription required to access all features.

Best Answer

I am extremely disappointed with Fitbit. I originally bought my Ionic because of the SPO2 sensor, I’ve been waiting nearly 2 years for the future and now I find out it’s going to cost a subscription fee.  I was actually contemplating getting a new Fitbit to replace this one but what’s the point if I can’t get the data from the SPO2 sensor without paying a minimum of $80 a year. I’ve been a huge Fitbit advocate for years  and have recommended them to numerous friends and family but I think with this change I may no longer be a Fitbit fan and I’m not likely to purchase another. 

I am sorely disappointed with this decision.  I hope you reconsider this  decision. 

Best Answer

Lizzy,  there's a lot of misinformation out there regarding the requirement of Premium to get sleep scores, even in the mainstream press.  For example, as recently as two days ago, The Verge reviewed Premium and said "Fitbit also says that the service will dive deeper into features like Sleep Score. That new feature in particular is available for all users, but only Premium subscribers will receive more in-depth data." (https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/28/20835674/fitbit-premium-subscription-service-personalized-data-ch...).  I've seen this in other reviews as well.  Either Fitbit's publicists are passing on incorrect information, or they are not actively reaching out to correct bad info (I have to presume that someone is monitoring reviews at Fitbit). Can you please pass on this feedback?  Thanks!

Best Answer

Why do I have to pay for a quasi already purchased improvement to data analytics? I already purchased an expensive tracker and have been allowing Fitbit to collect all my data. This should be enough for getting all data analytics improvements to its different data collection aspects until a new device has to be purchased.

It is outraging that Fitbit is trying to further raise the price of ownership now for users who are locked in with the Fitbit device they purchased. We expected - based on Fitbit communication - that we will get access to continuously improved data analytics features in return for our data and the price we paid for the device and would have paid for future devices (eg. a device in every 3 years).

I’ve been a real supporter of Fitbit in the last couple of years and I even came back to the brand after a short gap, but forcing us to pay even more and stopping improving sleep data analytics that should have been included in the price of the watch, is just outraging. 

I hope Fitbit will reconsider this decision of raising the real price of ownership because I am ok with paying for services and devices but not when such a basic feature is creating an extra cost.

Best Answer

The same day I wrote this, Sleep Score started appearing on my dashboard, and I'm not registered for Premium...which leads me to believe that Premium isn't necessary to get the score.

Best Answer

I agree with you 100! Fitbit is feeling like North Korea lately. They own the narrative and also try silencing people like you and I who have been true Fitbit supporters. Sad. I’m very upset 

Best Answer

The issue is not so much the sleep score, it’s being able to see your oxygen level when you sleep. For people that have struggled with sleep apnea, this data can be very helpful. 

Yesterday a friend showed me the pulse ox information he was getting from his Garmin, it was really impressive and unfortunately I think this means I will be switching from Fitbit after being a customer for about six or seven years. I’m hoping in the next week or two Fitbit will reconsider the decision to charge for pulse ox information but if not, I’m afraid this will probably be the last Fitbit wearable I purchase 

Best Answer

Disappointed Disgusted & P😤😡😡🤬🤯off

I’ve compared (other FitBit models and the competition), purchased, utilized and upgraded FitBit for years.

Got hooked on weight training my senior year in high school going so far as training to compete in body building prior to having 2 children & continued working out while I raised them. As I “matured”, it wasn’t so much my body & fitness I developed a concern for but rather, my sleep; both quantity and quality and how it seemed to deteriorate as I aged.  Enter Smart Alarm apps on my (then Android) phone. As I learned that not only the time at which I woke but also the sleep stage during which my wake-time occurred had a considerable impact on how I felt that day, I made a commitment to real sleep improvement.

During the process of educating myself on sleep health, I stumbled into my doctors office one day with a whole host of “odd” complaints that made no sense to me.  Apparently they made sense to her because by the end of that week I was scheduled for three sleep studies which resulted in a severe sleep apnea diagnosis 😱! But how could this be?! I wasn’t overweight, I ate right and was in great shape, did not drink or experiment with drugs, and knew not a single relative with sleep apnea! Enter a shiny, new CPAP machine and, soon after, a (rather archaic in today’s comparison) FitBit.

I turned first to FitBits tutorials and articles (still limited at that time but included lots of references and hyperlinks to further info!) to educate myself. I was experiencing improvements in sleep, which created a positive impact on my health and daily life but the limited capabilities and features of FitBit at that time required additional mobile apps to augment FitBits data and capabilities. So what does a loyal customer do? I began making recommendations for FitBit Features that would allow my “loyalty” to FitBit and, the elimination of all those “other apps”.  Slowly but surely FitBit progress was made.

Though a project manager with a large construction company, I am a computer science graduate so, I am obsessed with “Tech”. Impressed by my FitBit over the years, I’ve remained keenly tuned-in to the future of FitBit through my “go-to” tech “informants”: CNET, Gizmodo, techRadar, Reddit, as well as the Wareable site and FitBits own announcements and webinars.

I upgraded devices a couple times and have witnessed FitBit come a very long way. I have been impressed. And loyal.  And I really mean loyal!  About 3 or 4 years ago I upgraded (in my personal opinion) from Android to Apple and fell in love with iPhone. Two months ago I went into my mobile carrier to upgrade my iPhone. It was around Father’s Day and since I am a caregiver to my elderly dad we were offered a BOGO on iPhone & the opportunity to purchase the Apple Watch at PENNIES on the dollar! For immediate advice and additional guidance towards a decision I called my son; an educated, avid Apple/Mac enthusiast, IT Security professional with the regional hospitals’ Health System here. He highly advised that I take full advantage of the Apple Watch offer.

After a short debate with both my son and the mobile agent, and even FURTHER negotiation in the Apple Watch price, I declined; loyal to FitBit, how far FitBit has come, and and the life-changing (seriously!) effect its use has had for me.

Today, I fully and completely with my whole heart regret that decision.

After all these years of loyalty, “standing by” and holding-out for the next big FitBit feature/device, making /participating in voting on feature recommendations, helping others in the Communities, device upgrades instead of “switching”, etc., etc., etc., ...................

I’m told I will need to

PAY

for a PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION

to receive FURTHER sleep features, data and insight I have MADE FEATURE RECOMMENDATIONS FOR,

HELD OUT for, waited ever-so-patiently for!?!?!?!?

The ONE, SINGLE element that made me a LOYAL Fitbit consumer is now the very reason that I would rather download and augment with additional apps than be told I have to PAY for what I’ve been begging for.

When I tell you I started crying when I read the paid “Premium Subscription” requirement for the additional sleep features - I mean - I literally started crying. Like a Doctoral student whose thesis idea was stolen and used by another.

I’m sick to my stomach.

Seriously FitBit?

Are you all really ducking serious?!

Best Answer

Hi Lizzyfitbit,

I’m writing a response to your last post clarifying the new update. You stated that we are still able to sync our steps however… None of us can. It doesn’t seem that  even the most up to date phones with the  recent update of our iOS  i’ve still not syncing. Please explain to me how I can get my steps to show on my phone? I think that would help a lot of people.  Also, please explain to me why my steps are not even showing up on my phone. I spent 45 minutes with a technician the other night. 

I look forward to your response since it’s been since August 11 that my device has not been  working.

Best Answer
0 Votes

How much does it cost? It does not even tell us! I clicked on it hoping it will tell us the cost, but it just says after the 7 day free trial the money will automatically be taken out using my iTunes account. I went to the last step hoping it would give an amount but no such luck (so we’re supposed to just wait and see what they take out of our bank account??) Yes double dipping for sure but do you know the actual cost??

Best Answer

Hi Scout123mh

Sorry I can’t help you with the cost of the new premium program. I actually removed my Fitbit app and bought a Garmin tracker. It was too upsetting for me and I can’t be involved with a company like Fitbit anymore. I do find it unscrupulous if they’re not posting what they’re going to charge you out of your account. That really sounds unethical  and I know that I would never allow a company my bank information if they’re not telling me how much they’re withdrawing. Good luck. 

Best Answer
Ok thank you. Yes I am thinking of changing to Apple Watch - not happy about some of the changes myself :((

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hmm...80.00 per year for a couple of new features.  That would pay for a new Apple Watch in  6 or 7 years.  No brainer!

Best Answer