Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips to sync Fitbit data with Apple Health

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I'm tired of seeing people requesting Fitbit to integrate / sync with Apple Health, and explaining to them why it won't happen. There're a lot of 3rd party apps that can do the job, but Fitbit just can't. Here're the reasons:
- Apple and Fitbit are competing for the #1 position in smart watch and wristbands, and rule #1: you don't cooperate with your #1 enemy

- Let's say Fitbit integrated with Apple Health, who would benefit more? A rising health startup with it's own data system, or the health platform owned by the top valued company in the world? Considering Fitbit's value is in the health data, while Apple's value is in the user experience, you can answer this.
- Since such an integration would benefit Apple much more than Fitbit, it's a natural choice for Fitbit to avoid it at any cost
- There're two potential events that can trigger the integration to happen in future: Fitbit being acquired by Apple, or, a much stronger competitor enters the market and Fitbit and Apple can start to make allies.

So what's the solution for the users? Go for Power Sync, a free app that does the syncing very well; or any other 3rd part apps that do the job. Remember, Fitbit can't do this for you, it's not the fault of any of its employees, it's just how competition works.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Just use Power Sync, manual sync is always free and very reliable.

Fitbit is still a great product, I'm OK with a tiny bit of extra sync work here.

Simulator Screen Shot - iPhone Xs Max - 2019-05-20 at 23.04.57.pngSimulator Screen Shot - iPhone Xs Max - 2019-05-20 at 23.05.12.png

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
26 REPLIES 26

Integration is not a threat to Fitbit. Fitbit has a better sensor, are we just going to stop buying the sensor because we see the data in apple health? No. Apple's heart rate sensor capture rate is garbage. As of yet, I have not personally seen Fitbit do anything spectacular with their precious heart rate data; the future is open data / open source - and should be for cutting edge health analysis / care / prevention / etc. Lets see statistics on Fitbit's App community vs. Apple's App community on health care apps.

Fitbit should focus on hardware, just look at their app. 😞

Best Answer

@jadering wrote:

Integration is not a threat to Fitbit. Fitbit has a better sensor, are we just going to stop buying the sensor because we see the data in apple health? No. Apple's heart rate sensor capture rate is garbage. As of yet, I have not personally seen Fitbit do anything spectacular with their precious heart rate data; the future is open data / open source - and should be for cutting edge health analysis / care / prevention / etc. Lets see statistics on Fitbit's App community vs. Apple's App community on health care apps.

Fitbit should focus on hardware, just look at their app. 😞

Think of user migration cost. Let's say one day another company makes a better sensor hardware than Fitbit

- If Fitbit kept all the user's fitness data within its own ecosystem, users would think again before moving on to a different brand of sensor. They will lose their fitness history which is solely owned by Fitbit

- If Fitbit allowed integration into Apple Health and user has migrated all their data to Apple Health, the user won't hesitate to buy a different brand of sensor

So keeping the data just to Fitbit can help them build a moat. It makes all the sense to Fitbit executives, although it's sad for consumers 😞

Best Answer

The one thing I cannot get over is that is MY data, I should be able to do with it what I wish. People and companies use our data, profit from it, track us with it, sell it, lose it. At the very least I should be able to download it at full resolution.

Some might feel like using another brand -- because "periodic" is better than nothing at all.

Best Answer

@jadering wrote:

The one thing I cannot get over is that is MY data, I should be able to do with it what I wish. People and companies use our data, profit from it, track us with it, sell it, lose it. At the very least I should be able to download it at full resolution.

Some might feel like using another brand -- because "periodic" is better than nothing at all.

Just like when a photographer takes pictures of you, they're legally his not yours, you should not say data taken using Fitbit product is yours, it's merely yours, too but mostly theirs.

Best Answer
0 Votes

If we put this in the context of photography, it would be like hiring a photographer to take pictures of you; giving them permission to use those photos however they like; and then being declined to get a copy of the photos.

I think usually when you hire a photographer you can obtain the copies one way or another; and further you usually aren't forced to allow the photographer permission to use the photos for their own gain.

I think its quite a challenge to find an analogy where the customer is this screwed

Best Answer

I don’t agree. If Fitbit was playing nice with others their products would be better. That would drive more customers to buy Fitbit products. Just think which product you would buy? If it was plug’n’play and just worked their products would get 5 stars in reviews and on Amazon.

This desicion is driven out of fear, and that is never a winning strategy in the long run. 

Best Answer

Actually, that Fitbit does not integrate with Apple Health is an argument to avoid Fitbit, and is often a CON I provide many people when they consider Fitbit for tracking their health. If you are going to argue about business practices, alienating those who consider getting, or those who have already purchased your product but still provide a source for others considering the product, is not good business practice. Apple Watch is not in direct competition with Fitbit as a software item. The Fitbit app is not a marketed (cost driven) product. I noticed the Aria 2 is also not integrating with Apple Health. Is there an Apple scale I don’t know about?

Best Answer

It’s bothersome that Fitbit won’t sync with apple health.  I really wish it would. I’ve had a Fitbit for years and really don’t want to change but I guess I will.

Best Answer

- Apple and Fitbit are competing for the #1 position in smart watch and wristbands, and rule #1: you don't cooperate with your #1 enemy.

BAD STRATEGY - Fitbit doesn’t make phones, everyone has a phone.  When you’re deciding between the two you’ll end up deciding on whether you want integration.  I had a fit bit and switched purely because of this.  

- Let's say Fitbit integrated with Apple Health, who would benefit more? A rising health startup with it's own data system, or the health platform owned by the top valued company in the world? Considering Fitbit's value is in the health data, while Apple's value is in the user experience, you can answer this.

DISAGREE - if their data is so great then why does everyone want integration?  Fitbits app is OK but there’s so much more to measure and by segregating you’re pushing people away because let’s face it, the data is replaceable and accuracy is good enough for basic purposes.  

- Since such an integration would benefit Apple much more than Fitbit, it's a natural choice for Fitbit to avoid it at any cost

DISAGREE - how many people have changed to apples watch for integration?  Fitbits not doing well since it came out.  Now the offer is, buy our stand alone product or. It the Apple Watch that works with your phone.

ALSO, Fitbit makes watches.. why are they trying to compete in the data market!?  I’d still have a Fitbit if they had integrated.

Best Answer

Think of user migration cost. Let's say one day another company makes a better sensor hardware than Fitbit

- If Fitbit kept all the user's fitness data within its own ecosystem, users would think again before moving on to a different brand of sensor. They will lose their fitness history which is solely owned by Fitbit

THEREFORE - fitbits strategy isn’t to stay the best and innovative, it’s to trap users?  

- If Fitbit allowed integration into Apple Health and user has migrated all their data to Apple Health, the user won't hesitate to buy a different brand of sensor

WHY - don’t they focus on having the best sensor then?  That’s the market they are in...

ok companies do what you’re suggesting, the best companies have products you want and work seamlessly.  

to further this point, Apple, google and others are now opening up their home softwares so consumers can buy whatever products they want.  

I’m about to get rid of my aria scale for the same reason I got rid of my watch.  

if this is their strategy, it’s not working.  

Not sharing the data is ruining the experience, period.  

Best Answer

I see what you are going for, but unless Fitbit is about to bring out a 4 inch smart phone that I can use one handed for all my needs I’ll continue buying the smallest handset of smartphone with full functionality which is currently an iPhone.

I tried Fitbit, but given it won’t pass my steps onto Apple health and the £20 tracker I had for years after issues with my first few fitbits I know where my next smart watch purchase is going, and it’s not going to clash with my phone.

Best Answer

Just use Power Sync, manual sync is always free and very reliable.

Fitbit is still a great product, I'm OK with a tiny bit of extra sync work here.

Simulator Screen Shot - iPhone Xs Max - 2019-05-20 at 23.04.57.pngSimulator Screen Shot - iPhone Xs Max - 2019-05-20 at 23.05.12.png

Best Answer

4 years later, this is still the case, still here using Power Sync without a better solution.

Best Answer

I use Fitbit to apple health sync. It’s a pay app, but I think it’s working better. Auto sync and history sync. Now I also integrated withings body cardio weight to Fitbit. Everything is also integrated into apple health automatic. The same with expensive withings blod pressure device that also checking my hearth healt, even record hearth sound. 

one thing with Fitbit is the measurement of spo2 ratio shared around in the body at night. It’s much more important to measure than ordinary spo2. Apple Watch is ridiculous expensive when you basically can get the same on Fitbit. The Fitbit app seam better that apple health if you ask me. But we just are addicted to the integration. 

I hope there will be a law forbidding company to lock out integration. What would we be save the environment with that solution. This is not only a apple and Fitbit problem, it’s with every the h we have, Samsung, Panasonic, Sony etc etc 

Best Answer

I understand your analysis but don’t agree on conclusion. 
I’ll always prefer hardware with good software integration. If software is badly design, the best hardware is useless. 
This is why I’ve always choose other brands than Fitbit.
More globally, Fitbit has finally been catch by Google … so this “stand alone” strategy was not a success  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Not a well thought out or aware comment imo 😛

i’m not impressed with the Fitbit app and would use an Apple Watch but the reason I personally don’t is the battery life and small size of my

Fitbit.

Apple Watch has an 18h battery life which makes it unusable. I’ve bought one and returned it and bought a Fitbit.

people I know with Apple watches don’t wear them after a while because they’re sick of having to charge it all the time.

the thing that irritates me with Fitbit is that it won’t integrate with Apple health app. For me this means if Apple ever increase battery life to 3 or 4 days I will probably switch.

fitbit are restrictive and slow to respond to users needs. Look at posts about charge 5 clock faces and customisation as an example.

charge hr, Aria
Best Answer

Fitbit does allow the export of your data, so that Fitbit lock-in theory doesn’t fit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

really? How?

Best Answer
0 Votes
Can’t

Some will tell you that you can with 3rd party apps but what you’re doing
by that process is giving some 3rd party hacker access to your Fitbit
account to suck the data out for themselves. Sure they then may make it
available to Apple health in a limited manner but personally I don’t
recommend.

If your goal is Apple health data, then honestly buy an Apple Watch. Which
I agree isn’t very helpful because the idiots at Apple made the battery so
crap you can’t even get a day of use out of them.

Unfortunately atm the entire wearable industry atm needs someone with a
brain to develop their gear which seems to be controlled by either
marketers with bold claims and zero delivery or enthusiastic techies who
pack in features but don’t think about usability.
charge hr, Aria
Best Answer
0 Votes