Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to rename workout type on Fitbit app

Has the ability to rename a workout type been removed in 4.04?

Previously I've been starting and stopping workouts via the "Martial Arts" exercise shortcut on my Charge 5, and then going into the workout record via the exercise tab in the app and renaming the workout with a custom name to reflect specifically what I had been doing [e.g., "Class", "Form Practice", "Weapon Training", etc.]

Now the only thing that seems to be editable is the start and stop time for the workout.

Is there something obvious I'm missing?

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
283 REPLIES 283

Can't edit the exercise type. No keyboard shows up to allow changes. For ex. - I want to change outdoor bike to mow lawn.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer

I'm having the same problem. It seems to be the app update. Any known solutions?

Best Answer

Hi there, @hpschd @Fyibsr51. Thanks for stopping by in the Fitbit Community Forums and sharing the inconveniences you're experiencing to edit your activities in the Fitbit app. 

To find how to do so, please see How do I edit or delete an exercise or activity in the Fitbit app?

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
The method you described does not work because there is no way to change
the name of activity, not a pull down or a keyboard to type a new type.
This had just been a problem since the app updated. It used to work the way
you described.
Best Answer

I'm having the same issue and chat support was no help. Instructions provided don't work. I thought things would get better since Google bought them. Wonder if/how they test these updates before rolling them out.

Best Answer

Same here.  There is no option,  drop down or keyboard to allow exercise to be edited.  This is quite disconcerting as it doesn't allow accurate account of calores.  Huge difference between walking and horseback riding.

Best Answer

I’m running into the same issue— also the activity info page is a serious downgrade from what it had been. I miss the time in each zone and the heart rate graph. 

Best Answer

Today, 11/22/2023, it seems FitBit removed the ability to Categorize an exercise. I use the generic “Workout” frequently and then edit the details to change category and distance if applicable . Now, that feature is gone and you can only change the time. Not happy with this change and the recent updates in general. 

Moderator edit:  updated subject for clarity

Best Answer

Totally agree.
- Can no longer see the full list of recorded activities in one screen. We now have to select week by week just to check back on our activities over past 1-2 weeks.
- Fitbit is able to auto-track an activity/exercise, but we now cannot change the name of it. If an activity is not accurately recognised, it is just going to be "Sport". This is stupid.
- Heart rate graph and heart rate zones over the period of the activity is now missing. 
- For auto-tracked "Sport", I only see Duration, Steps, and Energy burned. Any free/cheap fitness tracker can also provide this information.

Best Answer

new update and now i am unable to change exercise categories. previously, i would choose workout, do said workout and then change the type of workout from “workout” to “weights” or “pilates” or whatever. now we can only change the duration? 

Best Answer

Hello,

I have always been able to choose Workout on my watch and then after my workout, change the name of the workout to “Jazzercise” in the app. As of today I am no longer able to edit the name of the workout in the app. The app has been updated and I can’t edit the workout name any more. Suggestions? If I have to log on to a web browser and change the name of my workout that way that will be super annoying. 

Best Answer

I have the same issue. My Fitbit has always automatically used “Outdoor Bike” when I mow the lawn so I change the category to “Mowing Lawn”. How do I do that now?

Best Answer

Hello @BKnox and welcome to the Community.  Do you use an Android or iPhone?  Your post can get moved to a better fit forum where it will get the attention it deserves.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
Thanks for the email. I’m using iPhone.
Best Answer

I can't get it the new app to re-label the exercise either! Will you guys be fixing this?

Best Answer

Yes, I have noticed today that you can’t categorise your exercise!? In fact, the whole appearance of the exercise function has changed. Is this yet another example of the catastrophic update? Add it to the list of negatives since the October update, aka downgrade!

Best Answer

Yes, I can no longer edit the workout type at all, only the duration. However, I have never seen the option to give it a custom name. I do several different types of dance classes and can’t customize it—I just have to choose “dancing” for these. Now I can’t even do that; it’s just “workout.”

This is annoying that they took away a feature I used every day. 😡

Best Answer

I’m having the same issue. Can’t change my completed ’workout’ to Barre. Also, would appreciate an alert that an update is about to happen 

Best Answer

Is it possible to downgrade the software for the app? Really not liking the new visual for workouts. And if I can’t categorize my workouts in the app according to the customized workouts I set up on my account 10 years ago, then that’s a real problem for me. 

Best Answer