Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iOS 12.5 not supported

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I am a first time Fitbit user and am completely disappointed with the support offered over the phone. As it stands I will defiantly NOT recommend Fitbit to anyone I know. 

Today I got a gift of the new Fitbit Luxe. Unfortunately, the Fitbit app needs iOS 13 and I phone is 12.5. I phoned customer service to ask for help as I was so excited and couldn’t wait to join the Fitbit community. I left the phone call completely deflated and disillusioned. It was the worst customer care service I have ever experienced. The answer to my problem was that there is NOTHING Fitbit can do to help me. I just kept getting the same response that I needed ios13 or higher. Even when I suggested that I cannot be the only person with this problem so perhaps Fitbit should address the issue I was met with silence. When I asked if following our conversation I was correct in assuming that I either leave my new phone in the box until an update is available or I buy a new phone - the response was you need ios13 or higher. When in conversation I mentioned an Apple Watch the response was - if that’s the route you want you would like to take . It is NOT route I would like to take, I WANT TO VE ABLE TO USE THE FITBIT I GOT AS A GIFT AND I WANT SOMEONE TO HELP ME PLEASE.When I asked if there wasn’t anyone able to help me it was suggested I post it in the Fitbit community. PLEASE can somebody help a very upset and disappointed customer get their watch working!!!

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
0 Votes
8 REPLIES 8

I can certainly understand your frustration, but I don't think it is fair to blame customer support people for this issue.  If the IOS version is a firm requirement, there is nothing that a customer support person can do to change that.  It's not as if they have some special secret work-around that can give only to people who complain enough about it.  If you have a beef, it would be with wherever within Fitbit the decision was made about what ios version is needed, though I suppose it is required for some of the features.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer

I agree with you that I should be able to take up my beef with wherever the decision was made. My problem is that when I enquired about where to do that, apparently there isn’t anywhere except, as I was advised, to write on this community post where somebody might be able to help. I wouldn’t mind if I could even use the phone with limited features but as it stands the phone cannot be used at all as the only message displaying on it Is to download the Fitbit app which I can’t do. If there is a way to download the last (older)  version of the app I would love to know. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@13-Mer   Unfortunately, Apple doesn't let you download an older version of the app.  This is an Apple decision.  I am adding to this thread to give you some additional information.  Apple doesn't support you phone anymore.  This means you won't get any security updates.  You should upgrade your phone for security reasons.

Fitbit also changed the minimum operating system for Android users.  This is just a digital fact of life.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

My wife got the same problem. When she bought it at the end of June, no one told her it needs IOS 13. Fitbit's decision not to support came in May: 

VERSION 3.42

Released: May 18, 2021

• Head’s-up! We’re stepping up the Fitbit app. This is the last release for iOS 12. For new Fitbit app features and fixes, your phone must be running iOS 13+. To confirm your phone is compatible, visit fitbit.com/devices.
  • We fixed some bugs and made stability improvements.

That was FitBit decision and not Apple's decision. 

Microsoft is also changing Windows but keeps old version support for some years. Apple makes decisions and next month you are out. As I have s the second phone with IOS 12, I noticed I lost this year access to several apps. 

Why Apple is doing it! It is forcing consumers to buy their new models that are more expensive. Explanation on security concerns is an only partial truth. They can fix security bugs also for IOS 12. It costs something, but it would be doable. 

I would say this is a case of manipulating with market power and should be treated by according US lawyers. 

The other aspect is: it is very environmentally unfriendly. So, Apple should be listed as an environmentally unfriendly company, even they use renewable enery. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Had the exact same issue when  i realized this last night after purchasing the luxe for my husband. Customer chat was extremely frustrating to work with. I know not their fault but handled it very poorly. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @Cammy61 and welcome to the Help forum.  I need to make you aware of a different and very important issue if you can't upgrade your phone beyond its current iOS.  Your phone isn't supported by Apple anymore.  That means it no longer gets security updates.  Apple recently had a security breach and issued an iOS update.  You didn't get this update.  You really need to think about replacing your phone.

Models that recently stopped being supported include the 5s, 6, and 6 Plus.

@13-Merand @Rexonaut   This information applies to you, too.  Time to replace your phones.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Best Answer

"I am a first time Fitbit user and am completely disappointed with the support offered over the phone. As it stands I will defiantly NOT recommend Fitbit to anyone I know. 

Today I got a gift of the new Fitbit Luxe. Unfortunately, the Fitbit app needs iOS 13 and I phone is 12.5. I phoned customer service to ask for help as I was so excited and couldn’t wait to join the Fitbit community. I left the phone call completely deflated and disillusioned. It was the worst customer care service I have ever experienced. The answer to my problem was that there is NOTHING Fitbit can do to help me. I just kept getting the same response that I needed ios13 or higher"

I totally agree with 13-Mer. This is a perfect example of the tech guys doing what they want because they can. I really don't care if I can talk to Alexa or hear music with the puny 4 day battery provided. But I do want to hand my Iphone to my trainer each week so she can evaluate my perfoxrmance.

Of course I can't since my phone is an Iphone 6 IOS 12.5.4. Not advertised as such but the FITbit will only work with an Iphone IOS 13.5. So what do I do: Spend $800 for a new Iphone or sent the fitbit back. 

EBAY pulled the same stunt a few months ago and they were forced to provide the old app for the users with older iphones. SO SHOULD FITBIT.

Best Answer

@Joe411H   Please read my post immediately above yours.  Your phone isn’t supported by Apple and doesn’t get security updates.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Best Answer
0 Votes