Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"App needed to use this device" message

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I cannot get my Versa paired to my phone.  From the bluetooth screen, I get a popup that says "app needed to use this device" and it won't pair.  I have the app and all push notifications enabled.  

My texts and calls won't through on my Versa.  It was working fine until about a couple of weeks ago

Moderator edit: subject for clarity 

Best Answer
19 REPLIES 19

@kai1270 I don't know if this will be a miracle cure for you or not.  But this is my go-to troubleshooting routine when things like this happen:

• Log out of the Fitbit app then force quit the app
  • Turn off your phone
  • Restart your Versa
  • Restart your phone
  • Open the app and log back in

If that doesn't work, my next routine is to:

• Delete the app
  • Turn off the phone
  • Restart the Versa
  • Restart the phone
  • Re-download the app
Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

To setup the Versa, everything must be done through the Fitbit app. 

Yes it is possible that the versa may not be seen through the phones Bluetooth. It it was seen, there is nothing the user can do in Bluetooth but remove the versa. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had the same issue with Fitbit Sense, was only able to see "Sense" under Bluetooth but "Sense Controls" option was not visible. On clicking "Sense", was getting app needed to use this device. I have followed the below steps to resolve it.

1. Logged out of Fitbit app on Mobile.

2. Went to Bluetooth, rescan for the available devices, this time both Sense and Sense Controls options were visible.

3. Paired the Sense Controls, i.e. click on Sense Controls under Bluetooth on your Mobile device and on your watch, Settings --> Vibration & audio, scroll down to Sense Controls and click on it to enable the pair. A pair number will display on both devices and click to confirm the pair.

4. Log in back in Fitbit app, you will get notification on your mobile to pair the Sense device again. Confirm and pair it again.

5. Click on "On-Wrist Calls" (Fitbit app, select your device,  under General). This time you will get a notification all done.

6. Double check the Sense Controls on Mobile, under Bluetooth, click on the Sense controls, see whether "Use for Calls" is enabled or not. If not, do enable it. Also on your watch, ensure "Sense Controls" option is enabled.

That's it, you can start receiving the calls on your watch.

I hope the above steps will apply to Versa as well, instead of Sense Controls, it will be Versa Controls. 

Best Answer

Thank you! This solved the problem with my new versa 3

Best Answer

Same problem with Inspire HR. Just stopped receiving notifications. Chat with tech not successful.  Anyone have fix? 

Best Answer

Hi. I was having a similar problem and seemed to find a solution. If you go to Bluetooth, you should see two devices - Versa and Versa Controls. If you see only Versa, you won't be able to synch. So on your watch, under Settings there is an option under Vibration and Audio to pair for Bluetooth. It looks that this is for phone calls, but it seems to anchor the whole Bluetooth connection. If you go to the app and try and connect to Bluetooth, and select the option on your watch, you will see Versa Controls and Versa on your phone Bluetooth settings. The app will pair up and you will keep the settings on Bluetooth..I have been fine since I sorted this. Hope this helps

Best Answer

I just wanted to say thanks, I've been having this issue for MONTHS! but I decided to sit down and find an answer, thank goodness for your suggestions. Luckily everything in step one worked. I did have to sort of play around with turning the Bluetooth on and off on both my phone and watch, but eventually, a new name came up, instead of "versa" like usual, it said "versa classic" so I was very confused and thought maybe I was connecting with one of the few I actually have for sale but nope! It must have been trying to connect to the wrong frequency on the Bluetooth, or however that works! Logging out and shutting down helped a ton though, thanks!!😊😊

Best Answer

I'm delighted you got sorted. I have an Android phone and had this problem for weeks. My wife has the same fitbit watch, and an IPhone, and never had this issue! I wonder if that is relevant. Since I got the Versa and Versa Controls connections into Bluetooth, I have only had a failure to connect once. Fingers crossed, it stays like that 

Best Answer

Ive tried all the info to get my fitbit charge 2 to get my notifications but still no luck itvwont let me connect on the charge through Bluetooth (but does sync thou)

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Fitbit Community, @Kk1988.

Thank you for joining the thread and sharing that you're experiencing the same issue. I appreciate your troubleshooting efforts. I was able to see that you have already contacted our Support team regarding this and that they were able to assist you. Thank you for your time and efforts. You can confirm our complete troubleshooting instructions in How do I get notifications from my phone on my Fitbit device?

See you around.

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have this issue with my Charge 4

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm having the same problem it happened on my fitbit 2 so got a new one verse 3 and same thing.

Have you found any solutions? 

Thsnks

Best Answer
0 Votes

There is an answer above in this comment thread that has steps listed and they helped me. It's something like log out of the app and basically re do everything. If you keep at it, you'll get it! Fitbit customer service will help you too if you just can't get it. 

Best Answer

This did not work on my Sense2 Bluetooth finds my sense2 but not sense control

I am very frustrated and ready to return it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am getting so frustrated. I have a Versa 2 which I have had for a while. I have the premium service and it has been working fine. For some reason, my Versa stopped syncing today. I tried to pair it to the Bluetooth and the error message An App is needed to use this device. I have removed the app from my phone and reinstalled it. No luck. I have done a soft reset to the Versa, no luck. The Do Not Disturb is off as well as the sleep mode. I am sure it is something simple, but I can’t figure it out. I cannot unpaid the versa and repair it either. I have an Android.

Best Answer
0 Votes

And here in 2023 you've helped me as my Fitbit wasn't pairing any more. So clever, thank you. 👍

Best Answer
0 Votes

THANK YOU! Even Fitbit tech support couldn't solve my sync/Bluetooth issues! 👌 

Best Answer

Will that delete all the data you had?

Best Answer

Hi,

Nothing lost. Very simple and it works. Good luck.

Best Answer
0 Votes