Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Ionic won't sync to iPhone

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

yesterday I notice my ionic was about 5 minutes out of sync with my phone.  It just wont sync at all now.  Tried all the fixes various forums recommend but the problems is constant.  Wont connect and seems to loose time.  Apple watch here I come.  This is ridiculous.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
85 REPLIES 85
I’m completely agree with you! Fitbit ionic the worst device I’ve had. Use it more then year but nothing improved to resolve sync problem. I used android 9 device for a half year with ionic and eight months with iPhone Xr. I still get messages once a day in good “luck” I can sync my device only when it’s detached from the arm and lays on a surface like table. My Bluetooth see the ionic sometimes for a few seconds. I did everything that I could find on forums and support solutions but nothing helps! Waiting for a new Apple Watch say goodbye Fitbit forever!!! Wasted time and money!
Best Answer
Just give it a chance! For calories, sleep tracking, let’s be honest... it is the best 🙂
The battery also.
Try to go to factory settings.
Erase the account from the watch and logout from the phone and login back.
If you use an iphone...let me tell you that i have bluetooth problems with the “airpods”.
In my opinion, the iohone has a bluetooth problems too.
Try to update to the last version of ios ...or...let’s wait until ios 13 is out!

Peace! 🙌🏻

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Essentially, turn it off, turn it on again, then chuck it in the bin...

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
Absolutely agree with you about tracking functionality but when you need to remove your device from an arm ... not accepted either wasting 5 minutes to get device synchronised. If some futures doesn’t work properly (messages, calls etc) better to remove it then let to use. It’s not a problem of iOS only. The same problem I had with android 8 & 9 exactly. As I told before I’d tried the whole solutions suggested from support team but still have this issue. Of course it could be a hardware issue of my specific bt module in my tracker but why I get so many results by searching “ionic doesn’t sync”? Just check it in google ...
Best Answer
Yeah. I understand. Do what you feel 🙂
Goodluck!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi. Since the last update on the 15.8.19 I've been unable to sync my fitbut ionic or **ahem** WiFi to the app. I removed my device and readded. I have followed all the instructions, restarted the watch, uninstalled the app, force stopped the app, turned the phone on and off and the Bluetooth. Nothing is working, the fitbut won't sync and I can't add WiFi again. I had a message saying the watch needed an update but would only be done over WiFi which I can't add. Can you please let me know how I can fix this? 

Best Answer

Hi,

Same here!

I can only sync it if I reset my whole fitbit device (ionic) but after I reset, I'm not able to sync again..

Best Answer
0 Votes
Here is the complete answer to utterly ridiculous, annoying, time-sucking sync issues with Ionic:

The Gxxxmin Vxxxactive 3!

Take your Ionic and toss it in the middle of the freeway so that nobody else will have to deal with that thing. Since Gxxxmin now has a vxxxactive 4, the 3's are available for just $150. Better yet, they WORK!

A cure at last.....You can thank me later.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Greetings Fitbit. I have had my Fitbit since about June 2018 and have never been able to get it to work properly it has been lying in my drawer for the past 8 to 10 months. It has the following issues. 

Would not connect to satellites for GPS

counted steps when I was not wearing it

could not synch with my anderoid phone

not monitoring heart rate 

battery lasts about half a day.

not tracking exercise route distance speed etc.

In a last attempt to try to get it working I have given it another try, fully char he'd the battery, reset to factory settings, try to re synch, updated the Fitbit app, today the watch sat on the table all day and recorded 102000 steps.

when I read the forums all I see is problems with these devises. I have tried everything thing suggested-and cannot get any use out of the watch it does not even tell me what time it is.

please contact me with suggestions as to what Fitbit suggests to resolve thes very unsatisfactory issue with my Fitbit Ionic.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Did not work 

Best Answer
0 Votes

The ionic is a Bluetooth connection failure of design. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Still won’t work

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have an iPhone 6S plus. it is up-to-date, the fitbit app is up-to-date. I have a message on my app that there is an ionic update available. App can not find my Ionic! It had d/c itself fron bluetooth, now my phone will not reconnect. I AM SO FRUSTRATED!!!! BEEN FIGHTING WITH THIS OFF AND ON FOR TWO DAYS!!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’ve fought with my Ionic since I’ve purchased. It is the worst product I’ve ever seen from a company with the resources and engineers they’ve invested in. Perhaps they invested in the wrong engineers.

Make It A Great Day!

Ed Wentz
Fitbit Ionic owner since 2018

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the world of Fitbit Misery..

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MarreFitbit I am having a simliar problem. My ionic has not been able to sync to my iPhone6 or the Windows10 apps for three weeks. I know both apps are the current version and my iPhone6 is running on their latest software (iOS 12.4.6). My Ionic is on 27.33.1.30 and I haven't been prompted for any updates. I have done all the shutting down, restarting, reinstalling attempts and have attempted to resetup the Ionic by "replacing" it, i.e. going through the setup again. However, with both of iPhone6 and Windows10 apps I am able to enter the four digit code but then am unable to connect to fitbit.com. My Ionic does not appear under the bluetooth list on my iPhone6 but it can bluetooth successfully to my laptop. Also, not sure if this is relevant but on the watch it says no wifi under the IP Address, I'm not sure if in the past wifi was connected but it works fine for my laptop and iPhone. Is there are way to sync directly to fitbit.com, via the dashboard maybe? Or any other way I can get my three weeks of data? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Fitbit team,

I have sync issues with Ionic as well and I’ve tried removing and adding Ionic device from my app, as well as resets (not factory) for iPhone and Ionic + reinstall Fitbit app to no avail. 

It can detect my tracker but took a few attempts to reconnect (one attempt mentioned “The operation couldn’t be completed. (Devicebit.PairValidationError error 1.)” after keying in the 4 digit validation code)

My iOS version is 13.4.1.

I can live without the sync for awhile (I use sync to check my sleep data on the app) but my clock has been lagging the time by about 45 mins to one hour, totally off sync. 

I don’t plan to try factory reset unless it’s the last resort (I’ll lose some days of data) 

This is my second Ionic (first Ionic died due to battery) and I don’t think I will buy another Ionic again (unless Ionic 2 is far superior) so I hope Fitbit can address this issue. Thanks. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I too have an Ionic that no longer syncs.

After reading through several different threads where many people have this issue leads me to the conclusion that doing the "standard" troubleshooting is a useless and time wasting endeavor.

1. Many people have done the usual of switching settings and devices on and off, deleting and reinstalling apps, resetting, updating, etc etc.

B. The same conditions occur over different platforms and operating systems as well as different models of phones/computers and different versions of operating systems as well as different versions of firmware of the watch.

3. Many updated their operating systems as well as some that were able to update the watch's firmware which either did not help or made it worse.

D. Only a small smattering of people saw any of these so called "fixes" help, and some later regained the issue later on. The vast majority did not see any relief to their woes.

5. The watch being connected to the phone AND syncing with the fitbit app for months without ANY updates to any software or firmware then developing this problem, sometimes developing the problem after one or more updates.

F. Several devices with bluetooth do not detect a signal coming from the watch.

The most common denominator to the problems that the people are seeing is the watch, and in many cases, the watch still operates, just won't sync. Which brings me to the conclusion that the bluetooth radios used in the watches are of an inferior quality than those seen in previous models like the Blaze, which I had one that worked flawlessly until the battery went bad, which seemed to be a thing for those watches. Bad bluetooth radios could also be what is causing the other issue of the watches suddenly no longer turning on.

Right now, after almost a year of using the watch, the only fix that I can see is replacement. With the inferior quality of parts being used in the watches as well as the lackluster support that tries to sell you a new watch instead of doing the right thing and sending a replacement, I will be replacing my Ionic with a different brand, mainly Garmin.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Best Answer

Had the same problem and more. Super frustrating. Went on phone support and chat live over 3 days and the conclusion was to buy a replacement as my device was out of warranty. Completely pissed. 

The factory reset made it worse and got a red X saying something like the reset was not complete. Also along the way I was getting the Fitbit logo just going through a cycle every few seconds. I thought it was bricked and deemed useless. 

Anyway, Pressing the left button (back) and bottom right button At the same time for 10 secs reboots the device.  Pressing all 3 buttons performs a factory reset. Couldn’t find this anywhere but pressing the left button and top right button at the same time seemed to allow wifi discovery to work when your iPhone is searching during setup. I’ve tried this twice and it worked for me. 

It’s worth a try. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Fitbit Ionic won’t connect to my new iPhone. I have tried everything in these forums and everything I found for forums on Google. I have been trying for two months. I am exhausted by my efforts. I need help ASAP.  

Best Answer
0 Votes