Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alta HR not tracking sleep stages.

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I’ve read other posts. I too am not getting consistent readings of sleep stages. Yes the band is set properly on my wrist. Yes the HR is charged. Yes my heart rate tracks all night. Given everything I’ve read, could it be that Fitbit is having a software problem?  Any thoughts?  Any suggestions? 

Best Answer
233 REPLIES 233
Good idea. I will try that.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Fellow trackers

I wrote initially about sleep tracking problems on my Alta HR. I tried  many techniques mentioned including using Fitbit telephone support. For the most part, it was helpful but for many people their trackers are still not tracking their sleep properly and that is extremely frustrating. This past September, my husband bought me the Fitbit Inspire for my birthday and I must say that I have not had any issues.My experience is that the Inspire works much better for sleep tracking.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Sadly wearing on underside of wrist last night still didn’t work for me 👎
Best Answer
0 Votes
This is helpful. I have a replacement and it’s not working, either.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Me neither.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
I just phoned Amazon to say my replacement had same fault. They are giving me a full refund. The question now is what to choose as an alternative. Someone said they tried the Inspire HR and still had same problem!
Best Answer
0 Votes
I'm starting to think that the device itself is too long. It doesn't stay
fully flat against my wrist unless I make it really tight.

But the software is probably the issue. Mine worked at first for a few
weeks.
Best Answer
0 Votes
So far so good with the Inspire HR and sleep tracking

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Good to know. Am going to order Inspire via amazon in the hope that sleep tracking will work for me too. If it doesn’t I’ll ask for a refund again. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
That sounds like a good plan—I am going to try the Inspire HR as well.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Hi Westchesterwalk

I hope the Inspire works out for you Good luck!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m very happy with my Inspire. Hope it works for you too!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I got a new Fitbit Alta HR from Amazon yesterday and it did log my sleep stages and sleep score last night.  I will report back here in 30 days to give an update on whether it continues to work or not.  One thing I am wondering is, if whether they just stop tracking sleep correctly at some point.  My original Alta HR worked for 7 months and I have seen others that worked for 5-6 months.  Of course, there are also the ones that don't even work out of the box ... On another note, while I was researching an alternative to the Alta HR, I found a website that rated sleep trackers and his top pick was the Fitbit Versa 2.  https://www.nosleeplessnights.com/best-sleep-tracker/

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Alta HR hasn't tracked sleep stages out of the box. I read somewhere that you can manually start the monitoring your sleep in the app. I now click the "sleep now" button when I go to bed and the "I am awake" button in the morning and it has logged my sleep stages as long as I have slept over 3 hours. I know it should do it automatically, but I don"t want to get a new one that doesn't work anyway so I will just take the extra steps. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi. That’s interesting. If my new Inspire starts playing up then I’ll try the manual setting (should arrive this week)
Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi Kgabelsb. Mine worked ok for 18 months before the sleep tracking problem started. Let’s hope your new replacement Alta HR performs better. Look forward to update in 30 days!
Best Answer
0 Votes

I would be happy with 18 months!  I am not sure these devices have a long life.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I did not see this solution of manually starting and stopping the sleep monitoring.  Since my new Alta HR is working now, I don't want to do another setup for the old one to test this.  But, will definitely keep this in mind as well.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have just started having the same issue. I restarted the tracker and it work for a few days. Now it hasn’t tracked the sleep stages for two days even though I rebooted both the tracker and my iPhone.  I have a new iPhone 11. My Alta is over a year old. I don’t want a large tracker, my wrists are very small. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hello kbabelsb. At least Amazon guarantee them with no quibble for 2 years to make up for it!
Best Answer
0 Votes