Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alta keeps turning off although fully charged

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I keep fully charging my Alta and it keeps turning off within minutes or occasionally it will last about an hour.  Even though it's fully charged, when I tap it, nothing happens and I have to plug it back into the charger to get it to turn back on.  I have only had the device for about 4 months so I am disappointed to be having an issue like this.

Best Answer
60 REPLIES 60

Hello and welcome to the Fitbit Community @Amy071484 

I understand your Alta is turning itself off. Let’s try restarting your Alta and see if that gets you back up and running again. You will not lose any data doing this. 

Here’s how:

1. Plug your charging cable into a USB port on your computer or any UL-certified USB wall charger.
  2. Clip the other end of the charging cable to the port on the back of the tracker. The pins on the charging cable must lock securely with the port. You’ll know the connection is secure when the tracker vibrates and you see a battery icon on your tracker’s display. Your tracker will begin charging.
  3. Press the button on your charging cable 3 times within a few seconds, briefly pausing between presses. The button is on the end of the charging cable that is plugged into your computer. When you see the Fitbit logo and the tracker vibrates, this means the tracker has restarted.
  4. Unplug your tracker from the charging cable. Now try sync your Alta HR

4254FD6C-063A-4AF2-BEF8-8C843DF0EEE7.png

Please let me know if this did indeed resolve your issue. If it did please tap the “best answer” box under my post. This really helps other individuals who come to this Community looking for answers similar to your issue. I’d really appreciate it! Thanks 😃

Best Answer
I performed the reset as instructed but that did not work either. It keeps turning off.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Hello again @Amy071484 

Although it seems redundant but could you possibly perform this restart serval times. Also I’m wondering if your Alta contacts need to be cleaned. They can get debris on them. please look here to see how to clean the Alta contacts: https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/2005

😃 again keep me posted

Best Answer
Hi, I tried resetting it several times but I am still having the same issue. The Fitbit will turn on for a short period of time and then shut off and won’t come back on until I plug it into the charger again.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Hello again @Amy071484 

Im sorry to see your still experiencing charging issues. That’s very unfortunate. My only suggestion is to call Fitbit Customer Service since restarting your Alta several times did not resolve the problem. You can find ways of contacting them here: https://help.fitbit.com/?l=en_US&cu=1&fs=ContactUs&co=GB

Im sorry I couldn’t have been more help

Best Answer

Hello @Amy071484, thank you for your reply and confirming that you already tried all the steps that @SunsetRunner suggested.  

I've gone ahead and sent your information to the Customer Support team for further assistance, so you should be getting a reply soon. Keep an eye on your inbox. 

Let us know about te outcome. 

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer

Same issue!  It’s done it multiple times and I’ve only had it since April. 

Best Answer

Hello and welcome @Kaci3d  

Im sorry that restarting your Alta several times has failed to resolve your issues. If restarting has not helped I would suggest calling Fitbit Customer Service. Here are ways to contact them: https://help.fitbit.com/?l=en_US&cu=1&fs=ContactUs&co=GB

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi! I’m so glad I found this forum because I’m having the same problem. My Fitbit Alta dies very quickly after I charge it and many times it shows that it is still at 85%. I bought four fitbits for my family and mine seems to be the only one doing this. I tried all the steps you suggested above to the other users (multiple times) but it still shuts off. What’s frustrating is that I’m the one who wants to get in shape and do weekly competitions with my family but mine keeps dying. Can you please assist me? Thanks! 

Best Answer

Also. I’ve only had this Fitbit since June. This should not be happening. It seems defective 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello and welcome @Vallisa 

Im sorry to see that your Fitbit Alta continues to have trouble even after attempting to preform the restart procedure several times. I would suggest calling Fitbit Customer Service if your issue persist. You can find their contact information here: https://help.fitbit.com/?l=en_US&cu=1&fs=ContactUs&co=GB

😉 I do hope they’re able to get you back up and running again soon

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @Kaci3d, and welcome to the Community @Vallisa

Thank for your reply with all this information and confirming that you already tried the suggested steps.  

It seems you don't have a case with Customer Support yet, so I've gone ahead and sent your information for further assistance as well. You should be getting a reply soon, keep an eye on your inbox. 

Let me know about te outcome. 

Best Answer

If you ever figure out how to get this to stop shutting down....I need to know!  I have TWO Alta's that do the same thing.  Wish I wouldn't have bought the 2nd one.  Just thought the first one was just old.  Thanks!

Best Answer

Hello @Westies4Me, welcome to the Community forums. 

Thank you for sharing this information about what you've experienced with the Alta that keeps shutting down randomly. 

Before considering other options, could you please confirm if you already tried all the steps mentioned here earlier? 

Please keep me posted. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi. Yes I have tried all these on BOTH of my Altas. I purchased the 2nd
one because I thought the first was just got too old. Now I have two that
do the same thing. Very frustrating. The 2nd one was purchased thru
Groupon. I am over my 30 days return. Purchased 8/30. It seems to be
problem with these as I have read so many ppl have the same issue.

Sent from Diane's Samsung Tablet
Best Answer

Hello @Westies4Me, thank you for your reply and for confirming that you already tried the suggested steps.

I've gone ahead and sent your information to the Customer Support team for further assistance, so you should be getting a reply soon.

Please keep me posted.

Best Answer

Same problem.  I bought a new one thinking old one was just old.  Haven't had the new one very long and it has same problem.   Even worse.  Sadly I bought a lot of bands already for it.  

Best Answer

Hello and welcome @nataliejjac 

I see your having the same issue with your Alta. Have you tried restarting your Alta as I described in my previous post? Please do so. (You might have to try restarting a few times)  Also make sure your contacts on both the Alta and the charger are clean. Look here for proper ways to clean those contacts: https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/2005/?q=Clean&l=en_US&fs=Search&pn=1

😉 Keep me posted 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have done the restart several times. I also last night cleaned the
charge connection like instruction by FitBit. I am waiting to see if it
shuts down today or the next day or so. Not sure that is the fix because
It was working Saturday, took it off Saturday night, and when I put it on
Sunday, it wasn't working. And....I have TWO Alta's that are doing the
same thing. Thinking its a software issue within the Alta itself.

--
Have a great day!
Diane
Best Answer