Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alta not properly recording steps

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I've been noticing recently that the step count will say, for example, 1871. I'll get up to be sure to get my 250 steps in and I'll see once the app recognizes I'm moving, the number will sometimes go backwards by several steps and then count forward. I figured, it wasn't a real count and it was resetting.

Also sometimes it won't buzz when I've reached the 250 after the notification.

And then today I got in my first hour, the second hour I could swear I had completed it (I'm often in the middle of something at work and will forget to get up after the notification or alarm I've set so I can be ready for the notification) but when I got to my third hour, I was surprised that the second hour hadn't lit up on the activity tracker. well maybe I forgot to get up after all, I don't know. I made a point of the third hour - it said 250 steps bite the dust! or whatever, the app tracker lit up that piece, and then I put it on the charger and I got in the shower. However, after that, it the piece was not there! I KNOW I got the steps in and I was frustrated the second hour wasn't lit, but now the third hour disappeared too. So far, the rest have been lighting up today, but what happened? Do I need to reset something?

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

You're welcome @Raynebow68, your reply is appreciated.

Thanks for the update, it's unfortunate that you don't have the original charging cable to complete the restart process. To move forward with the inconvenience your Alta device is experiencing, it's necessary to complete a restart process, therefore, maybe you can borrow from a friend an original charging cable? Otherwise, I suggest you to visit our store to take in consideration an original charging cable. An original charging cable is $3.95 USD at this moment.

Keep in mind that we do not recommend to use non-original Fitbit products because they can harm your device.

Looking forward to your reply. 

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

Hello @Raynebow68, it's nice to see you again participating here in the Community Forums, welcome back!

Thanks for bringing this to my attention and for all the details that were shared in your post, I totally understand how frustrating this matter can be for you and it's really odd that your Alta it's not recording your steps as the way it was designed. If you haven't already done so, I recommend you to restart your Fitbit following the below steps, such process will refresh your device's performance:

1. Plug your charging cable into a USB port on your computer or any UL-certified USB wall charger.
  2. Clip the other end of the charging cable to the port on the back of the tracker. The pins on the charging cable must lock securely with the port. You’ll know the connection is secure when the tracker vibrates and you see a battery icon on your tracker’s display. Your tracker will begin charging.
  3. Press the button on your charging cable 3 times within a few seconds, briefly pausing between presses. The button is on the end of the charging cable that is plugged into your computer. When you see the Fitbit logo and the tracker vibrates, this means the tracker has restarted.
  4. Unplug your tracker from the charging cable.

Let me know if the issue persists, I'll be here if further assistance is required. 

Best Answer

double post!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks! Unfortunately, I don't have the original cable anymore; I have an Amazon replacement. It does not have the button. The Fitbit was a gift and I had to replace the cable the most cost-efficient way. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

You're welcome @Raynebow68, your reply is appreciated.

Thanks for the update, it's unfortunate that you don't have the original charging cable to complete the restart process. To move forward with the inconvenience your Alta device is experiencing, it's necessary to complete a restart process, therefore, maybe you can borrow from a friend an original charging cable? Otherwise, I suggest you to visit our store to take in consideration an original charging cable. An original charging cable is $3.95 USD at this moment.

Keep in mind that we do not recommend to use non-original Fitbit products because they can harm your device.

Looking forward to your reply. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you! I was unaware I could get one, I think! I will look into that.

It does seem to be working better now. I'm not sure if was an app update,
or it wanted to be charged more than 60% at the time, or what. But things
are much better now. Thank you again!

--
**~*~**

*Wealthy the spirit that knows its own flightStealthy the hunter who slays
his own frightBlessed the traveler who journeys the length of the light*
*~Dan Fogelberg, "Nexus"*
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for your reply @Raynebow68, it's a pleasure to continue assisting you. Sorry for the delayed response.

I'm happy to know that the information from my previous post was helpful and to know that your concern is resolved. Please do not hesitate to contact me back if you require further assistance or if you have any additional questions for me to answer, I'll be around.

I want to suggest you to visit our discussion forums and participate. There are several users who are interested in fitness, healthy eating, better sleep, among others. I'm sure that they will be happy to meet you there.

It was a pleasure to assist you!

Best Answer
0 Votes