Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alta not recording steps

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My wife has an Alta and I have a Charge 2 HR.  We noticed, when we walk together, her Alta doesn't record as many steps as my Charge; so we did a little experiment.  Last Saturday we walked 7 miles, I tracked it on the Runkeeper app.  My Charge showed 16,169 steps and a distance of 6.65 miles; my wife's Alta showed 11,150 steps and a distance of 4.5 miles,  We are assuming the Charge is more accurate because Runkeeper verified the distance.

My question is, is there some way to adjust the Alta so it records properly, or is it junk and in need of replacement?

Thanks, Rich

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

I have had my Alta for almost two years, it has recently greatly reduced its accuracy in recording steps. It also is not recording most of my active time when I exercise such as active minutes. Did 25 minutes on the treadmill and 25 minutes stepping aerobics yesterday and it recorded 0. I am frustrated and trying to find a reason why it would not record as much as it should? I went from it recording 10k steps a day to about 6.5-7k steps when i did the same things and exercised the same. Good luck and I will watch this thread to see if anyone has a solution. My apps are all up to date. Have considered resetting the alta but not sure if I will lose my history and milestones. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm having the same issue. Did 30 minutes of Fit Body Boot Camp three days this week. Zero activity recorded. Although it recorded activity on a day I didn't excercise. I was sitting in a rocking chair rocking and fitbit recorded that as activity. Really! LOL! My steps are really off too. Seems like something is going on with the app/software. Oh well, at least I have the good physical feelings of working out. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m having the same problem. I do the same workout every morning ( but at different times) sometimes - when it’s there, other times I have to synch 3/4 times and then other times I have to manually input and it doesnt record the same stats as the other workouts. Getting very frustrated 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the same problem a certain walk that  i have done many times and it had registered at 5 miles

now only registered 3.9 miles very annoying as i am going for my next badge of 2500 miles i am only

60 miles away so every mile counts.

Best Answer
0 Votes

That's funny, Rich!  I have the Alta and my wife has the Charge 2.  *Our* problem is that her Charge 2 doesn't register as many steps as my Alta! 

I think maybe some Fitbit devices vary from one another;  perhaps the age of the device is also a contributing factor.  We've tried resetting repeatedly, and changing the "handedness" in the app settings, but the discrepancy remains. 

I'll be interested if you find a solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Alta records excecise minutes when I haven't done anything. 

Best Answer
0 Votes