Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clasping and switching your Alta wristband

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

One of the trickiest parts of getting started with a brand-new wristband tracker is simply learning how to get it clasped properly. The following post can help you with that!

How do I clasp my Alta wristband more easily?

• Before putting the wristband on your actual wrist, you can clasp and unclasp your wristband repeatedly using both hands. This will help to loosen the holes in the band a little bit, and should make it a bit easier to clasp when it's actually on your wrist.
  • As detailed in this help article, most people have success with "pinching" the clasp between two fingers when they go to put it on. This will usually be more effective than simply pushing hard against your wrist, which is both awkward and potentially uncomfortable.
  • An awesome tip that has been shared by @Gmadiane is to place a drop of olive oil on the holes and push the clasp through. This seems to have worked for quite a few other users. Thanks for sharing!
    clasp.PNG
  • Once your wristband is clasped, make sure that both the metal prongs are securely in their holes, as shown below on the left. If one of the prongs is still loose, as shown on the right, then the band is not yet secure and may come off your wrist unexpectedly.
    clasp2.PNG

We're confident that you'll be able to get your alta clasped with just a little practice. Don't be discouraged if it's difficult at first - it definitely gets easier over time!

How do I change my Alta wristband?

Fitbit Alta's wristband is detachable from the top and bottom of the tracker, so that you can replace it with accessory bands of different color or material. For help with detaching your Alta's wristband, check the steps in this help article, or watch the video below. 

Best Answer
812 REPLIES 812

@Tomatillos What is the issue that you're experiencing with the clasp?

@Catmusicat Thanks for the feedback. I've passed your sentiment to our product development team.

Everyone -- Let's remember to keep the discussion respectful to everyone involved. If you've never had a chance to check out our Community Guidelines, I recommend doing so before posting in the community. Also, please don't post any links to outside vendors such as Amazon sellers as I have no idea if the seller is yourself and you're trying to advertise your products. Thank you!

Erick | Community Moderator

It's all about the food! What's Cooking?

Best Answer
Thanks!! Love it.. Dad we have to get a replacement on our brand new device!! Lol
Best Answer
0 Votes

Wanted to let all of you know. I do not work for Amazon. I actually bought bands there for my Flex last year. Have been searching for more choices of bands for my Alta. Which I love! FYI

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just to be clear, I'm not an Amazon vendor. Sorry about that... but I did bought my Alta there... 😉

Best Answer
THANK YOU, Matthew. I did the olive oil drop in 4 & 5 holes and pushed hard, and it worked the third try! I heard the snap! Keep trying guys and gals and it will work. I have a small wrist.
Best Answer
0 Votes

The posting below by Ineedsun had what I believe to be the best method for putting on the Alta.  Take it off as usual by unsnapping the band, remove one side of the band from the tracker and snap the bands together.  When you put it on, just snap the band onto the tracker.  No need to try to press the metal prongs through the band when it's on your wrist.  My thumb is still very sore from using the old method.  This has made it possible for me to keep using it.  I thought I was going to need to return it.

Best Answer
Will give this a try. Thank you.
Best Answer
0 Votes

It has literally been a pain for me to get that band fastened (have a small bruise on my wrist now!)  Obviously been doing a bit wrong before.

What has worked for me now is using a bit of hand sanitizor on the metal prongs.  It helps slide in the holes much, much easier.  And it evaporates fairly quickly too.

And less germs on your band as a fringe benefit.  😉

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have already lost one Alta as it fell off of my wrist while I was out and about. I think they need a band with a buckle
Best Answer
0 Votes
The oil trick helped but at the airport of course not. So I took off one side band, clicked the ends together off my wrist, then hooked the band on (as if you are changing the band; slide it into the lock position and it went right on and this is how I will always do it. Saw this on another help post. Give it a try before you give up.
Best Answer
I do the same. Fitbit should put this idea as one of the help ideas for
Alta
Best Answer
0 Votes
Recovery runner thanks. Will buy today.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry to hear you lost your Alta.  I find it dissapointing that this forum keeps growing and growing without any news from Fitbit announcing at least a buckle closure option within their accessory menu. I am only one of thousand of customers asking for it. I am very happy with the tracker itself. It is wonderful, but don't get me started on my thoughts about the deficient closure system of the band. 

I suggest you look into a replacement from Fitbit. Review within this same forum the post entered by Got2Rock on 03-31-2016 at 11:29 and the happy conclusion (Got2Rock) posted on 04-06-2016 @ 18:45.

A product should stand on its own merits. If it needs hot oil, hot water, sliders, etc. etc. then it is deficient. Should it come with the warning that you'll be happy with it until you lose it? Through the supportive Fitbit Community I found out about the sliders. After almost losing my Alta for the second time, I ended up ordering the silicone fasteners (sliders). I view them as a "temporary security measure" until Fitbit comes up with a secure band. I would like to order the leather band 'if" it comes with buckle closure. It defeats the purpose to order an expensive leather band which will need silicone sliders to keep it secure. 

All the best!

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer
0 Votes
Where did you purchase sliders? Fit bit did send me a replacement Alta after I convinced them that these bands are faulty.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I purchased sliders from Amazon as well as colored bands. I wis Fitbit had more colors ( I bought all they had and love them.)You also could use a small black o-ring you buy from the hardware store. They work great , but only come in black.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

"Faulty band" is an understatement when referring to the Alta wristband.

I purchased sliders through Amazon. The ones I bought are Fitbit Alta Fastener Ring By Allrun (12pcs Silicon Fastener Ring for Fitbit Alta Wristband-Fix the Clasp Fall Off Problem). 

Best Answer

@Michfit

I feel the need to step in and put some perspective on this. How do you figure you are "one of thousands?"  Please, please understand that we do not see postings from all those who are happy with the product. They looked at the features of the various FitBit devices ... Bought the one that fit their particular needs ... Took it back for an exchange if they were unhappy ... Then concentrated on steps. 

Just because one of the devices is wrong for some does not mean it is a terrible product. We are all different. That is probably why Fitbit offers so many devices. 

To to change the subject ... How was your holiday weekend? Did you get your steps in? My 7 YO grandson borrowed my Charge HR for a Fun Run and worked his way to 23,000+ steps! He put me to shame. Oh, to have his energy!

Carol

Best Answer
Hi! Actually I am one of the people who has had no problems at all with my Alta! I have just been trying to offer suggestions to people who are having trouble putting theirs on or having them fall off.
I love my Alta! It is a great way to see how hard my 6 grandkids make me run around!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
I love mine too as well as the fitbit app.......but.....I needed advice from those who have had the same problems as customer support had none.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you Lenee and Mitch fit for your help.
Best Answer
0 Votes