Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device too large for small wrists

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I’m wondering if anyone has suggestions for someone with a small wrist. Got the Alta HR because it was the smallest device, but it doesn’t sit well on my wrist, and isn’t accurate unless I tighten the band to the second smallest hole - which still isn’t comfortable, but better than flopping around too loose. Now I’m developing a rash where the device sits just behind my wrist bone. Does the device work if worn on the inside of the wrist? It seems to fit better there. I’ve switched wrists while the rash heals, but looking for other solutions. Has anyone had experience with this?

Best Answer
12 REPLIES 12

The Alta hr is made for the outside of the wrist, but for some it works best worn on the inside. The only way to find out if it works for you is to try it. Let us know if that works for you.

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

I see a lot of people posting about the challenges of wearing a fitness tracker with small wrists. So I'm wondering if anyone has put a Fitbit Ace band on the Alta to get adult functionality with a band which fits wrists that are very slender. It seems like this would work but I've not seen anyone talk about this. I see comments the other way (parents buying the Ace for their child but the band was too small). Has anyone thought to try this, and how did it work?

Also, I would love to see a picture posted of an Ace or Alta on a known wrist size that's 4" - 5" so I can see how much the 3.5cm long face extends on the width of the wrist. When I tried an Alta on at an Apple store, I thought it still looked huge since the length of the face was as wide as my wrist. I bought a Charge2 since it's .25cm shorter, but attachment part of the band still extends past my wrist before it starts to bend, so the result is a D-shape rather than an oval.

Best Answer

Yes you can put the ace band on and Alta HR, so it will fit smaller wrists. But you still have the long face to contend with. Here is a picture of it on my wrist (about 5 1/2").

Alta HRAlta HR

Community Council Member

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

Thank you so much, Nelly. That's what I thought so I think they use creative photography to show these on kids wrists in the marketing material. I appreciate the photo and confirmation that the Ace band can be used to in essence shorten the Alta band.

Best Answer

The problem with the Alta HR (from my point of view) is the fact that the connection of the band to the tracker is rigid and the band near the tracker is rigid so there is no flex in the band until it is past my wrist width. The Ace band attachment is the same, so although the smaller band fits a smaller wrist, you still have the same arm width problems.

Yes, either creative photography or kids with big wrists!

Community Council Member

Best Answer

Yes, I agree 100%! I understand that the devices have size constraints and that the bands need a strong section at the attachment point for strain relief, but it would do wonders to offer a smaller band which has the rigid section already bending down to accommodate smaller wrists. I'm amazed this hasn't happened yet given the large market and amount of consumer input. I just continue to watch for new models of trackers (including children's models) as well as bands since there's such a big need that can be met as technology gets smaller or someone just designs the band which is specifically suited to tiny wrists!

Best Answer

NellyG - I'm having a similar issue.  The fitbit is fine, but the metal band I ordered has a very wide rigid connection between the band and the fitbit.  Because of that, the whole thing is a little wider than my wrist.  I compared my band to someone else's Charge3 band, and their connection pieces are narrower.  I'm now going to try to find another band whose connection pieces are narrower.  Its not easy to determine this online.  I want to use a metal band.

Best Answer

RGB2, I have both styles, a metal mesh band and a standard color band with a buckle. The buckle band does fit better for the reasons you point out. The metal band has a more elegant appearance, but I do think it looks a little silly on me because it extends past the width of my wrist. I wear it anyway, except if I wear anything knit or prone to snagging as I've learned that the edge of the mesh catches my clothes. 

Best Answer

I got the Fitbit Inspire HR since I read it works well for small wrists. I've been wearing it a month and love it. It has all the functionality I need in a smaller, lighter profile. I'm using the standard band which comes with the device (the small one, of course), and it hugs my wrist enough that it doesn't look so odd. I recommend this to others with small wrists. Just be sure to verify that it has all the functions you need. 

Best Answer
TammyLynnG,

I had swapped the band for a metal one I'd bought online. I realized it had
longer solid pieces, on either side, where the band attaches to the fitbit.
The solid pieces were longer than the original band. I just lived with it
for about half a year. Recently, the metal band was catching a lot on long
sleeved sweaters, so I switched back to the oroginal plastic band. It fits
a lot better. But, doesn't look as nice as the metal.

Thanks for weighing in.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I've not found a fit bit product that wasn't painful over time,  because of how big the face is. The bands just cause it to press deeply into the flesh causing a divot where the sensor is. If the angle was adjusted the sensors wouldn't put so much pressure on the wrist. I hate this about this company, it'd be great if they ever actually made an interface that was just, like, actually made to for different people with different needs size-wise it's be pretty great. It's ridiculous that the face of my inspire and charge 4 both have faces more broad than my entire wrist. Why?!

Best Answer
0 Votes
I haven’t had a problem with it being painful. Gotta say, though, that I do have an indentation where the band is. I recently had to replace my old one, due to compatability issues with a new cell phone. I got the Inspire, which seems to fit a bit better. I avoided the larger ones, such as the Charge 4, as I felt it would be too overwhelming on my wrist.

Since I wear mine day and night, I was thinking the indentation can’t be avoided. Guessing other brands would also indent…

Sent from Mail for Windows 10
Best Answer
0 Votes