Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device working only when plugged into charger

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I’ve had my Alta for years and I updated it last night so I can start using it again. It’s fully charged and works on the charger but it stops working when I take it off the charger. I’ve put it back on the charger and it says the battery is fully charged. I think the update made my Alta glitch. Can someone help? 

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity 

Best Answer
34 REPLIES 34

Hi @Janetchung - Please try re-starting your Alta. I know it sounds like a cliche, but sometimes that will work. Re-start it three times. 

Best Answer

Hi @Janetchung, welcome to the Community Forums! Sorry for the delayed reply.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention and the details that were shared in your post. Just as @SunsetRunner mentioned, even though the restart process is very simple, it resolved this issue for other users that were experiencing the same. To do so, please follow the next steps:

1. Plug your charging cable into a USB port on your computer or any UL-certified USB wall charger.
  2. Clip the other end of the charging cable to the port on the back of the tracker. The pins on the charging cable must lock securely with the port. You’ll know the connection is secure when the tracker vibrates and you see a battery icon on your tracker’s display. Your tracker will begin charging.

3. Press the button on your charging cable 3 times within a few seconds, briefly pausing between presses. The button is on the end of the charging cable that is plugged into your computer. When you see the Fitbit logo and the tracker vibrates, this means the tracker has restarted.
  4. Unplug your tracker from the charging cable.

Keep me posted and let me know if you need further assistance.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there @RicardoFitbit I have the same issue with my Fitbit Alta, where it only seems to work when it is on the charger. As soon as I put it on, it goes blank. I have already tried restarting it several times. I have also left it plugged in for a few hours to charge, so I know that the battery is indeed fully charged... Anything else I can do?

Best Answer

No, I did what @SunsetRunner suggested to process the restart of my ALTA but it didn’t work. My ALTA doesn’t work unless it’s plugged in. Any other suggestions besides purchasing a new one? 

Best Answer

I’m having this exact problem, too. Re-setting doesn’t do anything. It only stays charged when it’s plugged into the charger.

Best Answer

This is now happening to me as well. I'd restarted several times before coming here.  What is happening with our Alta devices?? FitBit, please give us another solution besides restarting, because that's not working for many of us. I'm sure I'm not the only very active and loyal customer here. 

Moderator edit: Format 

Best Answer

I am encountering the same issue over the last day. I tried restarting and not helping

Best Answer

Does this mean there’s nothing FitBit is going to do to help remedy the issue? This is my 3rd FitBit over the course of 5 years. Basically my options are to purchase a new FitBit or discontinue using FitBit and moving on to another fitness product. 

Best Answer

Janet, 3 trackers in 5 years seems beyond excessive to me. I was only given a 25% discount toward a new tracker, after essentially being told mine was old (over 3 years) and that they couldn't do anything for me atter one year with no extended warranty. For the price, I don't know that I would have bothered getting one that couldn't last at least 5 years -- especially when I take good care of it. So many of my Fitbit friends are leaving FB due to issues with their trackers or the app. I'm trying not to be one of them! Good luck to you! 

Best Answer

Same problem and restarting it did not assist.  Please let us know when the Alta glitch has been resolved. Thank you!

Best Answer

Dear Ricardo,

As you read below, several people (including myself) have the same problem and resetting the device doesn't help. In my opnion the battery is dead, although the app claims that the battery is full (mine stays at 75%). So it only runs on external power.

Can you confirm this, or could it be something else?

Best Answer

Too many people with the same issue in a short space of time. Which device do you all have? Mine is an Alta. Think everyone needs to click on I’ve got the same problem link too

Best Answer

Screenshot_20200403-075236_Fitbit.jpg

 Same issue. See screenshot. Fitbit Alta won't turn back on without connecting to charge again. Fitbit dashboard shows full charge and red exclamation symbol!

Best Answer

Unfortunately I have no solution yet. We need a Fitbit response! I need my watch now more than ever!!!

Best Answer

Same issue here.  Any new tricks to fix it?

Best Answer

im facing the same issue. the apps claim the battery is full but instead is only 75% and below on the device display.

is it because of the new update? 

Best Answer

I'm having exactly the same problem. Restarting it does not help.

Best Answer

Could it be planned obsolescence by Fitbit?

Best Answer

I have the same problem???what to do ???? FITBIT REPLY!!!!!!!!!!!

Best Answer