Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Alta turning off when battery is full

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My Fitbit Alta switches off the moment its charging plug is removed. I have tried restarting it by pressing the micro switch three times within 8 seconds, however after rebooting also the problem persists. Moreover, the display works when it is plugged on and shows the battery as fully charged, However moments after removing the charging plug, it goes dead and no amount of taping is able to bring it to life. This problem started exactly a year after flawless performance. Please help 

Moderator edit: Updated title for clarity

Best Answer
85 REPLIES 85
Thanks. Maybe I should try to do the same. This is my 2nd Fitbit Alta and I’m a little frustrated that it is t working. If they don’t replace it, I give up. I will buy a different model.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
Hi Fioienza1028
Thanks for feedback. I will contact support directly and see what I can do
Need to check how long we have had the Alta
Cheers Westy31
Best Answer
0 Votes
I have t had it that long. Maybe 6 or 8 months?

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

The "v" is the version number. It appears every time your Alta restarts. Customer service will do nothing about this. All Alta's are useless now or soon will be. 

I have already given up. Fitbit will do nothing but replace your faulty device with a new faulty device or offer a lame discount on a much more expensive model.

Moderator edit: Merged replies

Best Answer

Version number - that makes sense (except for the fact that I see it every day because I have to keep attaching it to the charger!). 

I agree with you - this is my LAST Fitbit. 

Best Answer

I just found this forum and having the same problem.  Full charge on Alta but when I unplug it I get a blank screen.  

Moderator edit: Format

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine is the same. I’ll get half a day out of it and then it will stop and need to be plugged in to get it working. When I do that I can see the battery isn’t empty. Off up email support. 

Cant believe there are so many of us!

Best Answer
0 Votes
It’s so frustrating that Fitbit doesn’t respond. This is my 2nd Alta and I’m definitely disappointed on its short lifespan. Also disappointed no one from Fitbit offers a working solution or offers to replace it.
If I don’t hear from Fitbit soon, I won’t buy another product of their’s again.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Hi everyone! Good to see you in the Community Forums and a warm welcome to the new faces!

I'm sorry to hear that most of you are also having problems with your Alta trackers suddenly turning off or not working out of the charger. I'll be happy to help you out with this.

@Cloving @katieweber @Mefrilling @Tshearer @SunsetRunner @Fiorenza1028  , I've gone ahead and escalated your case to our Support Team for them to help you out. Please, keep an eye on your inbox for any update and anything else, I'm here to help!

@rnwfitness, I'm sorry about that. In that situation, I'll ask you to have your daughter contact our Support Team directly as I don't have access to her account. Click here for the different ways to get in touch with our team.

@Sparks2000, from what you mention, it soulds like the battery is not lasting as it should. I can recommend putting your tracker to charge and once it's fully charged, take it off the charger and put it on. Sync it and use it as you would normally do. Make sure to sync it frequently after this (every one or two hours at least) so that the battery levels are recorded on the app logs and once the battery dies, let me know so that I can take a closer look and then we can move forward with other options to get you back on track.

@Lizzieflowers59 I'd like to make sure... is your Alta not working at all out of the charger or it will work but the battery will drain shortly after? If it's the battery draining faster than it should, you can do what I recommended @Sparks2000 above.

@Winksie I'm sorry about that 😕 Now, I'd like to know... is your tracker charged when it dies or the battery is draining fast and now will not respond at all? Does it work when in the charger?

@Sully_18 @Bozzi @KCollins  I'm sorry to hear that. What exactly is going on? Are your trackers turning off all of a sudden and will only come back on when you put it to charge or the battery drains faster than it should?

@Westy31 I'm sorry to hear that your wife's Alta is doing this. Now, since I don't have access to her profile, I'll ask you to have her contact Support directly and they should be able to help her out. Click here for the different options to get in touch.

@SunsetRunner, I just checked with our Support Team and it seems they're already helping you out with this. Please, keep an eye on your inbox for more instructions and if you need anything else, I'm always around!

If any of you need further assistance, feel free to let me know!

Ferdin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Help others by giving votes and marking helpful solutions as Accepted

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello. Yes, my Fitbit is turning off all of a sudden and it only comes back when I put it to charge. It only works with the charger. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I contacted customer service and they said the battery is not holding the charge, and there is nothing they can do.... so I will have to purchase a new device and gave me 25% off if I purchase a new one from Fitbit.  Not happy at all 🙁

Best Answer

I gave up on fitbit after 4 years of use ... I had the one and it was awesome, never failed me ... then i decided to change to Alta ... what a mistake, the 1st one had to be replaced as it was not working, then the 2nd one worked for about almost 2 years and now turns off, even when it is fully charged ... I am dealing with this for almost 6 months now ... after looking into the blog and seeing some many people with the same issues for way more time than I have this problem, I decided to quit fitbit ... the company did nothing to solve the issue and it seems it is still a current issue ... offering 25% discount on a new one is not solving any problem ... fitbit you lost a customer and I am sorry to say I will not say anything good if someone asks me so ... my friends are all changing to apple watch or garmin and they are happy.

Best Answer

This is exactly what has been happening to me

Best Answer
0 Votes

I must say that support were very prompt to answer me and gave me some things to try - so that was good.  However it didn't work and the fully charged Fitbit died again yesterday afternoon. 

I have also been offered 25% off a new fitbit, as I am out of warranty.  I think I'll just resume wearing one of my older, non-sports watches instead.  An Alta is effectively a $200+ watch and it should last longer than 2 years.

Best Answer
Mine lasted under a year so that’s why I’m annoyed.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

But it should be under warranty then Fiorenza.  Although I agree that under a year is no good.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had my alta for two years with almost no problems. I received my new one today and it won't charge fully. I only bought the new one because the charger broke. I believe the device is faulty and if I can't get it to charge fully I will return it and ask for a refund. Not at all happy.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone! Good to see you all in the Fitbit Community Forums and a warm welcome ot the new faces! 🙂

@Sully_18  , I've gone ahead and escalated your case to our Support Team for more help. You should be receiving an email shortly with more instructions. If you need help with the process, let me know!

@WorkingItOut74 @AdrianeT @SunsetRunner I'm very sorry that you're not satisifed with the options provided 😕 There's not much else I can offer at this point. If you'd like to take advantage of the discount and need help with it, let me know!

@Heyits_haley I'm sorry about this. Can you please describe what exactly is happening so that I can provide the correct assistance?

@Fiorenza1028 I just checked with our Support Team and it seems that they've already handled your case about this. Let me know if you have any questions.

@Jardinfx If you just purchased your tracker and it's not charging or you don't see anything coming up on the display when putting it to charge, there might be something wrong with it, so taking it back is the best thing to do. If you need more assistance, let me know!

I'll be looking forward for your replies if you guys need any more help!

Ferdin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Help others by giving votes and marking helpful solutions as Accepted

Best Answer
0 Votes
My tracker shows that it is fully charged. When removed from the charger it works for a few seconds then goes blank and won’t respond until it is put back on the charger.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

This is the exact same problem that I have been having also.  I just recently bought a new one in September because my older one was doing that and now this one is giving me the same issues.  I’m feeling very frustrated with this since I am a loyal Fitbit customer.  

Please help me also since this is exactly what is going on with mine.

Moderator edit: Merged replies

Best Answer
0 Votes