Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set up issues

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi everyone,

I just received my Alta after pre-ordering.  I am currently in the process of setting it up using the android app.  Right now it is not seeing it while my bluetooth is on.  The first screen says Power Up, and it is searching for it but does not find it.  After that, the Not Working? screen comes up, and you have the option to try again.  After selecting try again, It then says Bluetooh Issues.  This is where you can restart Bluetooth, which I've done multiple times already.  I know my bluetooth works on my phone because I have it setup to work with my headphones with no problems.  I have it securely connected to the USB pin connecter which is then connected to my PC.  It is charging so I know there is connectivity.  I've restarted my phone a few times, but to no avail.  I never had any problem connecting with my HR.  Has anyone else experienced this with the Alta, does anyone know of anything that I could do to fix this issue.

Thanks!

Moderator edit: edited title for clarity

Best Answer
237 REPLIES 237

This is the FIX! I had a completely charged Alta, but it would not connect to my Note 3. I kept getting the www.fitbit/setup display on my Alta and not the date/time. I went to the Fitbit website, downloaded the PC software, proceeded to connect my Alta to my online account with the dongle (and my Alta connected to my PC via the charger) and at that time an update to my Alta was initiated. After I got everything set up via my PC I then went back to my Note 3 and everything worked perfectly. 

Best Answer

Trouble setting up... Solved!

I had to go into my phone's settings and make sure I allowed a bluetooth device to find my phone... Then I turned off the bluetooth on my phone and then opened the fitbit app. The set up prompted me to turn on bluetooth then it set up with no problems.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks. We had to talk directly to a representative  at Fitbit to make the notifications work in addition to the setup.

Sent on my Boost Mobile Samsung Galaxy S® 5
Best Answer
0 Votes
I was just about to post about notification, how did you make it work?
--
Ali Asghar
Best Answer
0 Votes

@3D_Dream_S wrote:

I just got off with customer service. You need to go to fitbit.com/setup. if you have a PC (even if it is windows 10) you need to press the PC option and download.  Install it and it will go to an "updating dongle" screen at which time you need to reset your fitbit by plugging it into your computer and pressing the button 3x within 8 seconds. It will reset and show the fitbit diamond on your fitbit. After the software on your computer is finished updating the dongle it will allow you to sign in or create a new account. After this you can search for your fitbit and it will find it, connect, and ask for the four digit code on the front. You should be good to go from here.

This did the trick. I didn't do the reset or anything, but trying to go through the sync process on the PC forced the firmware on the Alta to update, and after that everything worked like it should have out of the box.

Best Answer
Thanks. That is what my guy did for me.

Best Answer
0 Votes
My friend called Fitbit around 10:30am and they walk him through step by step  which included the text notifications.  Now it works fine.  I set up my own Flex tracker, but this Alta tracker gave me a headache. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

any advice on how to make my computer run the PC setup? I can't get it to start. click on it and nothing. only the windows 10 option will run. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am trying to set up my new ALTA and it doesn't even show as an option as a new device on my PC! I called the service line and was told they had to send it higher up and that they would contact me via email to tell me how to set it up! I reinstalled the fitbit app, removed my fitbit flex and tried plugging the Alta in and the new dongle. Still nothing! *sigh* now I have to wait for some email for help 😞

Best Answer
Hi RebeccaCall the Fitbit helpline back and insist they help walk you through the process while you are on the phone like they did my boyfriend and they helped him get the  Alta set up as well as set the notifications on the Alta.   I have both the Flex and the Alta set up and I can wear either one as they have integrated them together with the Alta being the primary  tracker.I set up my own Flex but the Alta was difficult and confusing for me so I let my boyfriend handle it with the Fitbit folks.  Don't wait for an email that will only be confusing,  call them and make them explain their product.  We called around 10:30 am so there wouldn't be the after work crowd. I hope this helps.Twin

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there,

Im having the same issue. I got mine yesterday and now im beginning to get frustrated and not like fitbit. This is my first fitbit watch and it has totally ruined my excitement with ths is set up issue. 😞 

Best Answer
I received my alta this morning. Tried to add it to my tablet and phone. Both were unable to find the alta. I chatted with customer support. The person I talked to gave me many options to try. Each one they followed up on. None of them worked. Finally the person sent me a FedEx prepaid label and told me to send the fitbit back. Not very happy. I preordered the alta and waited over a month to get it. Can't say I'm impressed
Best Answer
0 Votes

Did you try the steps I laid out over the weekend?  Try pairing with your laptop using the USB dongle. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I was finally able to get mine set up by doing the PC download. It then updated dongle as you said and I was able to set my preferences. It started to have issues syncing because it said the Fitbit Connect was being used elsewhere, so I just searched it on my computer and deleted it. Then I was able to sync as well! Thanks for this help!!

Best Answer
Dear iffcI had my boyfriend call fitbit support and walk him through it step by step.  That is the quickest way to get connected and sync the devices.  Don't let them just give you info to try. Do it with them on the phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have tried to set this thing up on 4 differnet devices with no luck at all...I have even tried the toggle thing that you plug into the computer..still no luck...I think i just wasted $140 uuuggghhh

Best Answer

I jsut got my fitbit Alta.  I have a Samsung Galaxy 3 Mini.  It says that it is compatable but whenever it tries to find the alta..It keeps searching & saying ty again...Then it asks "Is you Alta powered on?"  When I tap the screen it comes up fitbit/com/setup.  What am I doing Wrong?

Best Answer
0 Votes
Have the Fitbit  support department wslked you through esch step while on the phone with them.  That's what my boyfriend didand that way he got the phone synced up with the tracker and he got the notifications turned on the tractor as well. Don't let them give you written instructions or emails as to how to get the devices sync with your computer it will only frustrate you. Try this before you send it back because once it works it works extremely well because I had the flex tracker before and this one is even better. They also  helped him set up both of them so that I can alternate and they have interfaced them together ,with the Alta tracker being the primary tracker. I hope that helps you. Good luck.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi AmyI felt like you and I got very frustrated trying to sink up the tractor with my computer until my boyfriend decided to call the Fitbit support folks and have them walk him through it step-by-step while he was on the computer and that way it got set up and he had it synced together and he also had the notifications working as well. The Alta is better than the flex tracker. Don't let them tell you they will email you instructions or just verbally give you instructions on the phone without having them walk you step-by-step while on the phone with them. They have to give the support that is necessary to support the products that they sell. I hope this helps you good luck

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks!! Yes I did as you said, and it's working!!! Now only issue is I can't get my Alta to pair with my phone so I could get texts, mail, and call notifications.....

Sandra Singer
Best Answer