Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set up issues

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi everyone,

I just received my Alta after pre-ordering.  I am currently in the process of setting it up using the android app.  Right now it is not seeing it while my bluetooth is on.  The first screen says Power Up, and it is searching for it but does not find it.  After that, the Not Working? screen comes up, and you have the option to try again.  After selecting try again, It then says Bluetooh Issues.  This is where you can restart Bluetooth, which I've done multiple times already.  I know my bluetooth works on my phone because I have it setup to work with my headphones with no problems.  I have it securely connected to the USB pin connecter which is then connected to my PC.  It is charging so I know there is connectivity.  I've restarted my phone a few times, but to no avail.  I never had any problem connecting with my HR.  Has anyone else experienced this with the Alta, does anyone know of anything that I could do to fix this issue.

Thanks!

Moderator edit: edited title for clarity

Best Answer
237 REPLIES 237

Charged for several hours. Did several restarts. Finally did sync and is working with phone at this time. Receiving texts and phone alerts. There is hope if you let it charge a very long time. Try reset several times. You will know when you have a good reset when you see the Fitbit logo not just the message to go to fitbit.com/setup. I see a lot of folks will not have the patience or thought to go to the forum for help. Many returns coming. 

Best Answer
  • this worked but i had to do it a couple of times. just when i was starting to call my fitbit names 😉 i saw the pin code show up. Thanks for providing this info!
Best Answer

This method works for my S5 as well. I reintalled the app, plugged in my fitbit to the laptop, reset the fitbit. On the screen that shows it's searching, tap the Alta and 4 digits appeared.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Got it!!!  I uninstalled and reinstalled the fitbit app and I was ALL SET!!!  LOVING this Alta!!!

Best Answer
I have had the same issues as everyone else
I have read all of the forums and I pushed the button on the cable and got 2 codes but both were stuck on connecting and then nothing. My phone is back to not recognizing the tracker. I'm so frustrated!
Best Answer
Just call them. You'll have a replacement overnight. 🙂 so much easier
Best Answer
0 Votes
I called them the first day and I have a case open but they haven't offered
to send a new one but I'm getting ready to call I think because my charger
has now stopped working!
Best Answer
0 Votes

I just recieved my fitbit alta today and am also not able to connect it to my android phone. My fitbit zip is connected so it is not my bluetooth it is the alta. so far I am very disappointed in the device, especially after reading many others are having the same problem. My other two devices have had no problem.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Best Answer
No Rich. But I got it connected by my friend calling Fitbit and going step by step.  However he didn't ask about activating text message notifications,  therefore once again. We will have t o call, again. 

Sent on my Boost Mobile Samsung Galaxy S® 5
Best Answer
0 Votes

In the top of the Alta forum there is a thread on text messages.

The first post has instructions. 

Best Answer

I also am switching from the flex to the alta. Got mine through the setup but can only get the time screen. Am a bit disappointed that there is no tutorial to go over moving between screens, etc. Cannot get the tracker to move from the initial screen. Anyone with any ideas?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Did you go to the Alta help site, read the Alta101 this can be accessed from the help on the phone app, or download the users manual?
http://help.fitbit.com/?p=alta

Best Answer
Thanks.  I will try this.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Trying to setup the Alta (received today) with my android phone, did not work (cannot find the device), after 5 tries including BT on/off (twice).  I swtiched to my desktop (Win 7) and tried with with the dongle, no luck.  Restarted the Alta per page 22 of the manual for the device, still no luck with the desktop.  Double tap on the device shows "fitbit.com/setup".  Initial plug in of the Alta with the clamp and the computer shows the battery at about full.  I am getting the feeling the device BT is bad.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm so frustrated.  I've been trying since last night to get this setup.  I've had 3 previous fitbits and they all worked fine.  And I am using my pc.  I also can't get the band on.  It's so hard to snap.  Ugh, help.

Best Answer

Hello @Cashel, i would like to ask about which step in the setup does it fail, and which OS is running on the PC?

As for the band, figure  out which holes,  then attach ir a few times while of the arm. 

Second way would be to dip the end of the strap into some warm water.

After the first few snappings it gets easier. 

Best Answer

I too just receive a new Fitbit Alta and had similar connectivity issues with my Nexus 6 phone (running Marshmallow, not rooted).  Here is how I resolved it using the Windows 10 Fitbit App.

Apparently out of the box, the fitbit requires a firmware update, but without pairing to a device (i.e. phone/tablet/PC) that firmware cannot be applied to the Alta.  

Steps:

1. Connect the USB adapter, that came with your Alta. Windows 10 should automatically download the correct drivers

2. Download the Windows 10 Fitbit app from the Store, and sign in

3. In the Fitbit app, select a device to pair. Run through the steps to pair the Alta with the Windows 10 Fitbit app

4. Once paired, the Fitbit app should push the latest firmware to the Alta. Should take 5-10 mins.

5. Verify the Alta is syncing with the Windows 10 App. Then move on to pairing the Alta with your phone.

6. Run through the same steps to pair the Alta on your phone. 

7. The Alta should now pair with your support phone or device

Summarize: 

Make sure your phone or device is supported. Then using Windows 10 Fitbit app and the included USB adapter, pair and sync your Alta. Allow the latestet firmware to install on the Alta. Once paired to Windows 10 Fitbit app, repeat the process on your phone/tablet. 

Hope that helps!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks. I think those are the steps my boyfriend followed but he had to call tech support and go through the steps.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you!

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes