Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 9.0 (Pie) not able to sync

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update: 3/6/19

Hello everyone! 

We have some updated troubleshooting suggestions we'd like for all of you on Android Pie (9.0) to try. 

First, turn off Background Restrictions/Limitations: Phone settings > Apps & Notifications > Fitbit app > Background restrictions or Background limits.

Then, disable battery limitations:

1. Go to Settings > Apps > Fitbit app > Advanced > Battery > Battery optimization
  2. Change view to All apps
  3. Search for Fitbit app
  4. Choose Not optimized

Please give the steps above a try to improve syncing with your Fitbit device and Android 9.0 OS. We're still researching and testing out long-term solutions to this ongoing syncing issue. We thank you for all your patience while we continue to work on this effort.

Fitbit Update: 2/14/19

Hi everyone!

Thanks for all your reports and patience with these Android 9.0 syncing difficulties. We’re aware of this ongoing issue and have been working to identify a resolution as quickly as possible. 

We're sorry for any trouble. We appreciate your patience and look forward to getting you back on track as soon as possible. 

I'll let you know if I receive any additional information on this matter. 

Fitbit Update: 10/3/18 

Hey Everyone!

Our team is still working on implementing a longterm fix for syncing with Android devices on Pie (9.0). 

For the background syncing issue, I have posted an update in the other floated thread which you can find here

We released Fitbit for Android version 2.80 today which contains improvements for that syncing issue. 

I'll make sure to keep you all updated with more information, as soon as I have it available. We're still working on this and I really appreciate everyone's patience. 

Fitbit Update: 9/26/18

Hey everyone! 

Thanks so much for your patience and cooperation. We are aware of the issue and working with Google on a solution.

I will continue to provide updates here, so keep an eye on this thread. 

Fitbit Update: 9/10/18 

Hi, everybody! 

Thanks for your patience while our team continues to work on improving syncing for those on Android Pie (9.0). They are actively working on this and for the time being, I recommend you keep the Fitbit app updated on the latest version for best syncing results. Right now that is version 2.78, so if you're not on this version please update! Also, another troubleshoot we recommend is performing a restart on your phone. 

When there are more improvements made in the future I'll announce them here. Stay tuned and subscribed to this thread. 

Fitbit Update: 8/19/18

We have escalated these syncing issues for those who are now using Android Pie (9.0) to our team for investigation. There aren't any updates at the moment, but rest assured we will keep you informed in this thread when more information is available.

Thanks for your patience! 

Fitbit Update: 8/11/18 

Hi, everyone! Thanks for stopping by the Community Forums. Smiley Happy

Seems like many of you who updated to Android Pie (9.0) are now having trouble syncing your Fitbit trackers. I'm going to escalate this to our team so they can look into it.

In the meantime, please update the Fitbit app to version 2.76.1 if you haven't yet. Let me know if that changes the syncing behavior. Please follow this thread for updates. I'll keep you all posted here! 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
2,479 REPLIES 2,479

OnePlus 5T (Android P) - Charge 3 still not syncing (as of Dec 26)

At best, it will say tracker found ✓ but immediately show an error:

'Bluetooth Issues

If you see this message for the first time, press "Cancel" and try again. If you continue receiving this message press "Restart Bluetooth" to turn Bluetooth off and on. '

More often than not it just won't find anything. 

Best Answer

Just wanted to say thanks to MrPuma. I'm using a OnePlus5 with a Charge 3 and as soon as I updated to Android Pie it stopped syncing with Bluetooth. I unpaired it in an attempt to make things work but it just kept spamming a message saying that there are Bluetooth problems. I tried his steps to pair using the third party app and it worked first try, and now I have it syncing with the fitbit app again. Thanks! 

Best Answer

Thank You MrPuma

This worked for my Charge 3 OnePlus 5T . For those attempting, it took me around 10 tries. 

Best Answer

@nineeightnine wrote:

Just wanted to say thanks to MrPuma. I'm using a OnePlus5 with a Charge 3 and as soon as I updated to Android Pie it stopped syncing with Bluetooth. I unpaired it in an attempt to make things work but it just kept spamming a message saying that there are Bluetooth problems. I tried his steps to pair using the third party app and it worked first try, and now I have it syncing with the fitbit app again. Thanks! 

I am happy to hear that these steps worked for you guys as well.

I can update that since then, syncing is working like a charm

Best Answer
0 Votes

This still clearly needs fixing, and fast.

My Oneplus 5 updated to Pie on 25/12/18, and wouldn't then sync with my Charge 2.

The fiddly, manual workaround worked - for 1 day!

I'll not be having to do that repeatedly to make things work, I'll vote with my "feet" and buy a different fitness tracker that doesn't have Bluetooth problems with Pie.

What I'm struggling to understand is how Fitibit aren't all on top of this, because it appears to have been problematic for some time.

All I can say is that they really need to recognise that many appear to be almost apologists for the brand in tolerating this, personally, I won't for much longer.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks very much @MrPuma it worked well. I contact support and they did not help me. Tried your fix and got it working!

> Ionic and OnePlus 5T on Android P

Best Answer

I'm having this problem with a Fitbit zip ever since updating to Android pie on a Moto X4. Fitbit app version is 2.84. The only way to get it to sync is to remove the battery from the Fitbit momentarily. The last update on this thread was from October. Is a longterm fix for Android Pie still in the works? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Great stuff, worked for me! Tnx

@MrPuma wrote:

Okay, I got the Versa to pair and sync now perfectly with my OnePlus 5T on Pie after literally several hours.

Hard to describe me solution. 

1. Download the "Bluetooth Pair" app

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.waylonhuang.bluetoothpair

2. Put your device in the charging dock

3. Clear cache and manuelly close the FitBit app via your phones settings

4. Disable and enable bluetooth.

5. Open the Bluetooth Pair app and search for new BT devices. It found my Versa there. Dont pair it YET.

6. Go into the Fitbit app and add your device there. While it is searching for your devices SWITCH immidiatly to the Bluetooth pair app. Click on "pair" to the Versa and then switch back to the Fitbit app. 

Now it took a few seconds but then it found my tracker and I was able to enter the code to pair it.

I had to do that process several times. The timing seems to be important

It sounds complicated and long BUT thats how I got it to work

Best Answer

@MrPuma hero! I tried with my Op5 and charge 3 and it worked.  @AlessFitbit it seems that having that other app open was enough to make it work in my case... 

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner wrote:

@MrPuma hero! I tried with my Op5 and charge 3 and it worked.  @AlessFitbit it seems that having that other app open was enough to make it work in my case... 

Yeah my phones bluetooth settings couldnt find the Versa anymore and with my linked app it was no problem

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks MrPuma! Your solution worked with Android Pie and a Fitbit ionic to get my watch added to my account.

Sadly, syncing is totally broken and never works.

Using an Android One Xiaomi A1

Best Answer

I got it fixed! thank you!

Just a short info: before doing all that, delete the old device from the app. 

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner wrote:

I got it fixed! thank you!

Just a short info: before doing all that, delete the old device from the app. 

Thanks. True. I added that to my workaround. For those searching it, it is on page 68 in this thread.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi,

Unfortunately the suggested workaround did not work for my OnePlus 5T Android Pie Charge 3 combo. Hopefully there will be an update from FitBit soon to solve the issues.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks again MrPuma.

It's amazing that you solved the sync issue that Fitbit can't resolve in months. I nearly tried everything for about 24h hours until I just found your instructions - thanks again :thumbsup:

Best Answer

I Tried Mr Puma solution with my Pixel 1 and ZIP, does not work! Had trouble getting it to connect at all for a while. Still no solution for me since August! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Wow.  What a serious hot mess.  Updated my OP5 yesterday to Pie and had the same issues with sync.  No solution other than to factory reset it, forget it in my bluetooth settings, and download the 3rd party bluetooth utility.  After a couple of tries, that finally worked.

Come on, FitBit.  Get it together, please.  @MrPuma , thank you for doing what FitBit doesn't seem to be able to accomplish.

Best Answer

This is super effort @MrPuma. Great research. Thanks for enlightening the entire community. 

@AlessFitbit - Why don't your spread the word around, till the time you don't get a permanent fix in place. Tonnes of people are gonna lose their data. Worried about my dad, he is Andriod + Fitbit user, is his phone happens to move to 9, he will be clueless and he is kind of pretty motivated about his fitness regime.

Fitbit customer care has no clue, they are throwing up totally random answers like disqualifying your phone and things like that. That's complete misinformation. Will lead to more woes. @AlessFitbit - Must act fast.

Best Answer

BTW wanted to check @MrPuma - if you have uninstalled the pairing app or still retained it post the watch syncing to the app. Anyone else experimenting, pls suggest. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Turning Adaptive Battery off, then rebooting the phone and my watch and pairing the watch with the phone through the application worked for me.. I enabled Adaptive Battery after and all works. There are obvious issues now.. Is it Android, OnePlus or Fitbit? Part of a new bug with Android 9.0

Best Answer