Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Background syncing not working w/2.79

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update: 10/3/18

Hey Everybody!

Today we fully released the Fitbit for Android app version 2.80. With this release, we've implemented a fix which brings back the persistent notification (the Fitbit icon will show in the status bar of your phone and there will be a persistent notification in the Notification center.) We're working with Google to find a long-term solution for this. 

Please go ahead and update the Fitbit app on your phone. Afterward, you can disable the persistent notification with instructions in this help article: Why is the Fitbit app sending a notification to my Android phone?

Thanks so much as always for cooperating with us. Let me know if I can help with anything else. 

Fitbit Update: 9/25/18 

Hi, Android users!

We're aware of a background syncing issue with the Fitbit app that began around 9/20/18. This is affecting those currently on Android OS 8.0 and 9.0.

If you're having trouble syncing your Fitbit watch/tracker, please try the following:

• First, make sure the "keep alive widget" in the watch/tracker details screen is turned on.
  • Manually initiate a sync inside the Fitbit app. 
  • Go to your App Device Settings, find Fitbit > Advanced > Battery > Battery Optimization > All Apps at the top > Find Fitbit > Select "Don’t optimize." This should not have a large impact on your phone's battery life.  

We are working with Google on a solution. We're sorry for any inconvenience. Please follow this thread for updates!

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
75 REPLIES 75

After the Oct Security update to my Pixel 2 XL Pie, I've had no syncing or background data transfer issues whatsoever.  So far, things are looking very good on my end.  

Best Answer

My device still won't sync correctly and I'm getting frustrated. It says it's last sync was September 23. On occasion my steps will appear but nothing for sleep or heartrate. 

Best Answer
When is this expected to be fixed?
Best Answer

Fitbit Update: 10/3/18

Hey Everybody!

Today we fully released the Fitbit for Android app version 2.80. With this release, we've implemented a fix which brings back the persistent notification (the Fitbit icon will show in the status bar of your phone and there will be a persistent notification in the Notification center.) We're working with Google to find a long-term solution for this. 

Please go ahead and update the Fitbit app on your phone. Afterward, you can disable the persistent notification with instructions in this help article: Why is the Fitbit app sending a notification to my Android phone?

Thanks so much as always for cooperating with us. Let me know if I can help with anything else. 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

How is this issue "solved"? My Fitbit Blaze hasn't synced to my dashboard since 9-30-18. It seems to sync with my phone but then nothing shows up online.

Best Answer

I've updated the app, but still no joy. No sync since 14 September and an incorrect time on my fitbit renders it useless. Any other ideas anyone?

Best Answer

The update fixed nothing. Alta HR still not syncing with Android 8.0.

Any suggestions?

When will this truly be fixed? For real...

We're going on 2 weeks now. I'm stunned it is still an issue.

Best Answer

Still inconsistent and messes up the Bluetooth on my phone. All you guys do is provide excuses instead of solutions and of course you love to blame it on incompatibility of devices when in fact it is due to your development team's inability to code things properly with newer versions of Android.

Don't sell your product as a smart watch when it can't really do anything properly...

Best Answer

After upgrading to 2.80 not change. I have oneplus 6 with Android Pie upgraded to it. After doing update fitbit 2.80 - issue still persists. 

Need help.

Best Answer

Hi I did this but it's telling me it can't communicate with my fitbit?? 

Best Answer

I had the sync issue with my Charge2 and Pixel phone after upgrading to Android Pie, and for me what fixed it was turning OFF the "Always Connected" option and the "Keep Alive Widget". I never used the Keep Alice widget, but previously had the Always Connected option enabled. When I turned it off, my app started syncing normally with the Fitbit. Seems counterintuitive, but it's what worked for.me.

Best Answer

Hello everyone! 

Thanks for sharing your experience.

After you update be sure to try going through these troubleshooting steps once again to see if the situation improves.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes
I am still having same issues with Nexus 6p after doing update.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Fitbit Team,

I did the app update and the sync worked for about 5 minutes. I now can't get it to sync anymore. Please help!

Best Answer
I have done everything that has been suggested and still my flex 2 will not sync.
Best Answer

Fitbit Update: 10/4/18

Hey everyone! Since we have provided a fix in the latest app version, please make sure you are updating to 2.80. In addition, you can make sure the "keep alive widget" in the watch/tracker details screen is turned on.

If you're running Android Pie (9.0) and still experiencing syncing difficulties, please follow this other thread for updates. I am tracking that issue separately. 

For our standard troubleshoots, you can take a look here in this article for all of our suggestions: Why won't my Fitbit device sync?

I'm now going to close this thread from further comments. Please open a new topic if you have anything new to report. 

Best Answer