Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Background syncing not working w/2.79

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update: 10/3/18

Hey Everybody!

Today we fully released the Fitbit for Android app version 2.80. With this release, we've implemented a fix which brings back the persistent notification (the Fitbit icon will show in the status bar of your phone and there will be a persistent notification in the Notification center.) We're working with Google to find a long-term solution for this. 

Please go ahead and update the Fitbit app on your phone. Afterward, you can disable the persistent notification with instructions in this help article: Why is the Fitbit app sending a notification to my Android phone?

Thanks so much as always for cooperating with us. Let me know if I can help with anything else. 

Fitbit Update: 9/25/18 

Hi, Android users!

We're aware of a background syncing issue with the Fitbit app that began around 9/20/18. This is affecting those currently on Android OS 8.0 and 9.0.

If you're having trouble syncing your Fitbit watch/tracker, please try the following:

• First, make sure the "keep alive widget" in the watch/tracker details screen is turned on.
  • Manually initiate a sync inside the Fitbit app. 
  • Go to your App Device Settings, find Fitbit > Advanced > Battery > Battery Optimization > All Apps at the top > Find Fitbit > Select "Don’t optimize." This should not have a large impact on your phone's battery life.  

We are working with Google on a solution. We're sorry for any inconvenience. Please follow this thread for updates!

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
75 REPLIES 75

Fitbit Update: 9/26

Hey everyone! 

Thanks so much for your patience and cooperation. We are aware of the issue and working with Google on a solution.

I will continue to provide updates here, so keep an eye on this thread. 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

I'm unable to open the app at all this evening just getting a white page with the fitbit logo on. This is crazy my app hasn't worked properly for months 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Flex2 won't sync since Mon Sept 24 @ 6:05pm have tried turning phone off, battery is full charged .

Huewai pro plus had the phone for 2+ months so it's not because it's new.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I cannot find the app device settings.  Where am I looking for this? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Restart your phone then charge2 will sync.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Restart your phone or reboot phone

Best Answer
0 Votes

From a Reddit post...it worked for me. 

"

There's definitely an issue, but there's a workaround that someone figured out and works for me also:

1. Turn bluetooth on.
  2. Open the Fitbit app and start a sync.
  3. Quickly open bluetooth settings, navigate to the "Pair a device" menu, and when your Fitbit shows up, tap it as if you want to try to pair with it.
  4. Immediately switch back to the Fitbit app. It should sync successfully after a short wait.

Not ideal, but works ok for me until the Fitbit team can roll out a real fix."

Best Answer

I believe this problem has to do with the os update as I too am experiencing it since updating to Android 9 on my oneplus 6. I was able to connect and sync with no issues prior to the update.

Best Answer
0 Votes

"Go to your App Device Settings, find Fitbit > Advanced > Battery > Battery Optimization > All Apps at the top > Find Fitbit > Select "Don’t optimize." This should not have a large impact on your phone's battery life."

My favorite suggestion because I can actually just find the Fitbit app RANDOMLY will be set to this without my involvement.  Pixel 2, Android Pie user.

Pixel 2, Fitbit Versa
Best Answer
0 Votes

Since there isn't an update available to fix the issue with sync, why don't they make and older version available that we can download that works? Tried to go back to 2.78 and it wouldn't let me down load it 

Best Answer

I have a Galaxy S5 running Android 6.0.1 and my Blaze has not synced since Monday, Sept. 24. I cannot find "watch tracker details" in order to select "keep watch/tracker alive" that you suggest.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi!

I´m using the fitbit flex 2 with the oneplus6; everything was fine till Sept. 28th. On this day I updated my phone (now it´s OxygenOS 9.0)- after that my fitbit won't sync anymore. It says "bluetooth problem" and after I tried disconnect the fitbit and connect it again my phone doesn't find the fitbit 😞 

I also tried to start the fitbit again... nothing worked. Today I downloaded the fitbit app on my tablet (windows 10)- everything works fine- but honestly I don't won't to use it with my tablet. 

So if there won't be a solution soon I will return my fitbit!

Best Answer

Also unable to sync for the last 2 days. Before I found this thread, I found another that said delete the app, restart phone and reinstall app. No problem with the first 2 steps, but now I can't reinstall the app. Download keeps failing.

So now, not only can I not sync, but I don't have the app on my device. Frustrating waste of time.

Samsung S5 with Charge2.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Havent been able to sync for weeks. Hurry up and fix this. 

Best Answer

Any word on how long the fix will take? Haven been able to sync my Fitbit for nearly 10 days now. I've tried to restart my phone and Fitbit, uninstall and reinstall the app. All it keeps saying is there's a Bluetooth issue, but my other Bluetooth devices are working fine. I unpaired my fitbit and am now unable to pair the device with my app. This happened after the new android update. Please find a solution quickly. It's very frustrating.

Best Answer

Hello everyone!

Thanks for coming in and sharing your thoughts and feedback on the matter. We truly appreciate your patience and understanding.

At this moment we do not have any further details to share but we will be posting about it as soon as there are any news.

Feel free to reach out with any other questions.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Do you have an eta on when tjit will be fixed? Alta HR still not syncing with Android 8.0. There was a Fitbit app update this morning and I was hopeful...

Also my text messages notifications no longer appear on my Fitbit, although I set them up for that . 

Really surprised this is all still a problem, 10 days and counting. 

Best Answer

I've been having syncing and clockface data update issues for the past couple weeks on my Pixel 2xl Android Pie + Versa + Fitbit App 2.79 setup... as it seems many other folks have as well.

Yesterday I updated my phone with the October Android security patch and I haven't had a single sync/data connection issue.  The security patch bulletin that Android provides didn't show any Bluetooth related fixes so I'm not sure what, if anything is actually fixed.  I'm still waiting for the dreaded no-sync issue where the only fix seems to be force closing the Fitbit app and then things sync again for a while...

I'll update this post if anything changes or I manage to go a few days with solid, consistent syncing and data (companion) connections.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I can't get my fitbit to sync. Last sync was 9/20. I've tried everything from restarting phone, uninstalling app, logging out, turning Bluetooth off, etc. Help! This is unacceptable.

Miraculously, minutes after posting this, it synced. However, there is no data from 9/20 up until today. This is ridiculous. Every time Android has an update, the fitbit has issues, and stops syncing. If you are going to have a device that isn't supported by Android, we should know that upfront. At this point, I want to return it.

Best Answer
Hi!
I tried it like Somebody described before: when you try to sync yor Fitbit,
go immediately to Bluetooth Options, Press "searching for Hardware" and Go
Back to the Fitbit App immediately again.

It worked for me fine!!

Good luck!
Best Answer
0 Votes