Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Background syncing not working w/2.79

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update: 10/3/18

Hey Everybody!

Today we fully released the Fitbit for Android app version 2.80. With this release, we've implemented a fix which brings back the persistent notification (the Fitbit icon will show in the status bar of your phone and there will be a persistent notification in the Notification center.) We're working with Google to find a long-term solution for this. 

Please go ahead and update the Fitbit app on your phone. Afterward, you can disable the persistent notification with instructions in this help article: Why is the Fitbit app sending a notification to my Android phone?

Thanks so much as always for cooperating with us. Let me know if I can help with anything else. 

Fitbit Update: 9/25/18 

Hi, Android users!

We're aware of a background syncing issue with the Fitbit app that began around 9/20/18. This is affecting those currently on Android OS 8.0 and 9.0.

If you're having trouble syncing your Fitbit watch/tracker, please try the following:

• First, make sure the "keep alive widget" in the watch/tracker details screen is turned on.
  • Manually initiate a sync inside the Fitbit app. 
  • Go to your App Device Settings, find Fitbit > Advanced > Battery > Battery Optimization > All Apps at the top > Find Fitbit > Select "Don’t optimize." This should not have a large impact on your phone's battery life.  

We are working with Google on a solution. We're sorry for any inconvenience. Please follow this thread for updates!

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Fitbit Update: 10/3/18

Hey Everybody!

Today we fully released the Fitbit for Android app version 2.80. With this release, we've implemented a fix which brings back the persistent notification (the Fitbit icon will show in the status bar of your phone and there will be a persistent notification in the Notification center.) We're working with Google to find a long-term solution for this. 

Please go ahead and update the Fitbit app on your phone. Afterward, you can disable the persistent notification with instructions in this help article: Why is the Fitbit app sending a notification to my Android phone?

Thanks so much as always for cooperating with us. Let me know if I can help with anything else. 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
75 REPLIES 75

My phone just did a fitbit update, now it won't sync. Keep getting sync error.

Best Answer

Blaze won't sync have to do a reset up to get it to sync ten it won't continuously sync. Have tried turning it off, in sync, uninstall and reinstall 

Best Answer

@Sandym62 I have had this in the past with updates. I know this sounds lame but sometimes just turning the phone right off and let it sit for a couple of minutes before starting up again seems to settle it. Might be worth a try before anything more convoluted. 

Best Answer

Hello @9374146017.

Thanks for trying all of those steps before posting in here.

In this case I'd like to ask you to follow these steps to get your Fitbit to sync. Some of the steps you have already tried but please try to complete all of the steps in the order that they show up.

In the meantime I'd like to ask you a few questions: 

• What phone are you using to sync?
  • When did this start happening?

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

How do I manually sinc my charge 2. For some reason it doesn't want to sinc. Also I'm not getting my progress reports for the last few weeks and I have it checked,

Thank you for any help. 

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity 

Best Answer
0 Votes

From your mobile touch and pull down on the tile screen (touch at the bottom and pull up on windows phone) to force sync.

If the sync doesn't complete, try opening mobile bluetooth preferences and forget (delete) the Charge2 from the list and let your phone rediscover it. Connect then try pulling down on the tile screen again.

Let us know how it goes...

Community Council Member

WmChapman | TX

Ionic, Versa, Blaze, Surge, Charge 2, 3 SE, AltaHR, Flex2, Ace, Aria, iPhoneXR "Every fitbit counts"

Be sure to visit Fitbit help if more help is needed.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I'm trying to sinc it on my computer, windows 10. It has always sinced until today, now the last sinc was last night
Best Answer
0 Votes

I would drag the app to the trash, reboot the PC, and go to www.fitbit.com/setup to re-download the application. All the pairing will be refreshed. Most likely that your computer lost track of your Charge2 and needs to look (and find) it again. 

Community Council Member

WmChapman | TX

Ionic, Versa, Blaze, Surge, Charge 2, 3 SE, AltaHR, Flex2, Ace, Aria, iPhoneXR "Every fitbit counts"

Be sure to visit Fitbit help if more help is needed.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you

Get Outlook for Android
Best Answer

I can't get my watch to sync to my phone I have tried everything. It also is losing time minutes out of hours etc it's 2200 now but watch reads 2017 I work on a cruise ship internet is not the best and expensive so it's frustrating. Has been fine for over a year since I got it here any suggestions 

Best Answer
0 Votes

The usual things to try are:

• restart phone
  • restart fitbit by:
  1. Press and hold the back (left) and bottom buttons until you see the Fitbit logo on the screen. This should take less than 10 seconds.
  2. Let go of the buttons.
Best Answer

Hey @Foxy48, it is great to see you around! If you have inconveniences to sync your Charge 2, please review the troubleshooting stated in this help article: Why won't my Fitbit device sync? to try to fix them. 

Thanks for your help @wmchapman! It is always really appreciated. 😉 

Keep us posted! 

Heydy | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer

I am a little confused.

I have been using the Android application for about a week. I have been taking 2-mile walks and when I am done the walks are uploaded to my PC, automatically. Today I see a message saying the PC has not synchronized since the 19th, three days ago. Yet the walks I have done since then are in there. So I assume there is no problem but that little message is confusing. Is there something else that message is trying to tell me or is it simply (very) confused?

Something else that is confusing is that when I click on the link for help. it talks about Bluetooth a lot. Based on what the help says, the only option is for a Bluetooth connection. But I am nearly certain that my Android phone connects to my PC using WiFi. Could it be that the help information is incorrect?

Best Answer

Which "Android application" are you using?  Do you mean the Fitbit app from the Windows 10 store?  If so, and a fairly recent PC, your PC probably has built-in Bluetooth which it is using to sync with your Fitbit.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I said Android application. It was downloaded from the Google Play Store. It is not a Windows 10 application (officially called Universal Windows Platform (UWP) but see the details in Windows 10 - Apps | Microsoft Docs) or anything downloaded from the Windows Store. Fitbit might have a Windows version but if so then I am not using it.

The important question is what does it mean when it says it is not synchronizing when it is showing data for the period.

As for Bluetooth, you are speculating. First, can you explain how Bluetooth is relevant? I am saying that the Fitbit documentation should make it clear that the Android application should mention that synchronization can also occur over WiFi and explain how that is relevant to synchronization. Probably the network details are not relevant here and the documentation's emphasis on Bluetooth is just making this more complicated than it needs to be.

I have been working with computers since 1970. I am not confused about whether my PC is using Bluetooth or WiFi. The Bluetooth is turned off in my PC.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Samhobbs i am having the exact same condition. It apprears that a update initiated by fitbit on 9/19 after 9 pm ET has caused the bluetooth connection not to work. Trying to find how to correct.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Apologies @SamHobbs.  You did say you are using the Android app.  I mistakenly was thinking as if you had said "Fitbit app".  My mistake.

I will stay out of this as you seem to be more confident of what is going on than I am.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes

JohnnyRow, I apologize for being strong in my reaction. I don't know you but I have experienced other people for whom strong reactions are necessary.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Christacap, you might be encountering similar symptoms but the cause and solution might be different. I don't know what to suggest except that you perhaps should create a new question. One thing I can suggest is to look at both devices and ensure that both shows the other device in the Bluetooth connections. If you create a new question then be sure to state whether both devices list the other in the connections.

Best Answer
0 Votes