Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 9.0 (Pie) not able to sync

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update: 3/6/19

Hello everyone! 

We have some updated troubleshooting suggestions we'd like for all of you on Android Pie (9.0) to try. 

First, turn off Background Restrictions/Limitations: Phone settings > Apps & Notifications > Fitbit app > Background restrictions or Background limits.

Then, disable battery limitations:

1. Go to Settings > Apps > Fitbit app > Advanced > Battery > Battery optimization
  2. Change view to All apps
  3. Search for Fitbit app
  4. Choose Not optimized

Please give the steps above a try to improve syncing with your Fitbit device and Android 9.0 OS. We're still researching and testing out long-term solutions to this ongoing syncing issue. We thank you for all your patience while we continue to work on this effort.

Fitbit Update: 2/14/19

Hi everyone!

Thanks for all your reports and patience with these Android 9.0 syncing difficulties. We’re aware of this ongoing issue and have been working to identify a resolution as quickly as possible. 

We're sorry for any trouble. We appreciate your patience and look forward to getting you back on track as soon as possible. 

I'll let you know if I receive any additional information on this matter. 

Fitbit Update: 10/3/18 

Hey Everyone!

Our team is still working on implementing a longterm fix for syncing with Android devices on Pie (9.0). 

For the background syncing issue, I have posted an update in the other floated thread which you can find here

We released Fitbit for Android version 2.80 today which contains improvements for that syncing issue. 

I'll make sure to keep you all updated with more information, as soon as I have it available. We're still working on this and I really appreciate everyone's patience. 

Fitbit Update: 9/26/18

Hey everyone! 

Thanks so much for your patience and cooperation. We are aware of the issue and working with Google on a solution.

I will continue to provide updates here, so keep an eye on this thread. 

Fitbit Update: 9/10/18 

Hi, everybody! 

Thanks for your patience while our team continues to work on improving syncing for those on Android Pie (9.0). They are actively working on this and for the time being, I recommend you keep the Fitbit app updated on the latest version for best syncing results. Right now that is version 2.78, so if you're not on this version please update! Also, another troubleshoot we recommend is performing a restart on your phone. 

When there are more improvements made in the future I'll announce them here. Stay tuned and subscribed to this thread. 

Fitbit Update: 8/19/18

We have escalated these syncing issues for those who are now using Android Pie (9.0) to our team for investigation. There aren't any updates at the moment, but rest assured we will keep you informed in this thread when more information is available.

Thanks for your patience! 

Fitbit Update: 8/11/18 

Hi, everyone! Thanks for stopping by the Community Forums. Smiley Happy

Seems like many of you who updated to Android Pie (9.0) are now having trouble syncing your Fitbit trackers. I'm going to escalate this to our team so they can look into it.

In the meantime, please update the Fitbit app to version 2.76.1 if you haven't yet. Let me know if that changes the syncing behavior. Please follow this thread for updates. I'll keep you all posted here! 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
2,479 REPLIES 2,479

Thanks @Molberg!

Previously my OnePlus 6 would not sync with my Charge 2 after the Pie update. I tried all manner of disconnecting/uninstalling/different versions and none could get the Charge 2 even connected again.

After using your procedure yesterday, my Charge 2 was able to be connected, and has been syncing and I've been getting notifications. Fingers crossed it keeps it up.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm on a OnePlus 6 with a Versa. This solution worked for me, and the Versa has now synced properly for about 24 hours.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@jwildstr wrote:

@LanuzaFitbit  Can you please elaborate on "no updates"? Have the developers recreated the problem at all? Have they TRIED? Is this simply that you (I'm assuming your job involves outreach and not development) aren't getting any updates from the developers?

If this is a situation where it's been established that the issue is on the Android side, and you have no updates from Google, please tell us that. If you know for a fact that the developers can't recreate this (I'd be shocked if they couldn't, though), please tell them to look through this discussion and post any questions.

If this is ANYTHING ELSE (Either the development team isn't trying or isn't telling you anything), this should be escalated to upper management. As can be seen here, you have a collection of vocal and upset users...but you also have a larger silent unhappy community who aren't posting here, but aren't thrilled with having a useless device.

Maybe @LanuzaFitbit is just a chat bot and not a real person?

Best Answer

@LanuzaFitbit  @AlessFitbit

Seriously, stop thanking us for our patience and telling us you have no updates.  You're only making FitBit look worse by saying this repeatedly.  I am, as someone suggested, beginning to believe you're both bots!

We want to know WHEN FitBit will have a solution.  It is that simple.  This has been *months* not a few weeks.  Are we even on a schedule for having this problem fixed?  If FitBit has chosen to ignore this user community then we deserve to know FitBit's position.

So I beg of you.  Post an update with something meaningful.

As I've said before, this is user community has had some very insightful posts regarding the problem and it doesn't even seem like FitBit is using that information.  We can help.  We can test.  We can try certain fixes.  Isn't that the purpose of these forums?

Best Answer

@Molberg thank you so much! This has been frustrating me for days.

Best Answer
0 Votes

2.8 hasn't fixed a thing for me. Got my pie update today which basically broke my charge 2

please fix

Best Answer

It's pretty clear that Fitbit is either unwilling or unable to fix this. I suspect Android support has fallen by the wayside in favor of Apple. Given the utter collapse of Fitbit stock, I have to wonder if they're just waiting to be acquired at this point.

I've had enough. I ordered the Nokia Go today as a replacement for my now useless Fitbit One, and am researching options for replacing my Surge. Leaning heavily towards the Huawei Band 2 Pro right now. So long Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's now October 22.  My Nokia 7 Plus just got Pie this morning and...no synching.  Been doing some searching and have followed all the recommendations (uninstall, clear, reboot, re-pair) and so far the issue still exists, no synching.  The app as it is now on my phone is release 2.81.  Seems like it's been a few weeks since the latest updates in the forums here.  Any new hints/clues or eta on a fix?

Best Answer

@Molberg wrote:

I den to have solved it....

Running Android Pie on OnePlus 6 and a Charge 2.

I uninstalled the Fitbit app. Then connected the phone and the tracker. Removed the tracker again. Installed the app. Connected and now it is running.

This solution worked with my Versa and OnePlus 6, took about 5 attempts.

Best Answer

Well done! This solution seems to have worked for my Ionic and One plus 6 running Android Pie. I would however mention one more thing - especially for those who upgraded to Android Pie on their phone having already had the Fitbit working. 

Before uninstalling the Fitbit app, I found I needed to remove the device from the list of devices as otherwise it remembered it upon reinstallation and consequently didn't connect. 

Fingers crossed the syncing remains stable.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This actually worked for my Nokia 7...

Good thing the Fitbit devs are on top of things and not letting it come to community responses for the fixes eh

Best Answer
0 Votes

@TimSimsalabim wrote:
This actually worked for my Nokia 7...

Good thing the Fitbit devs are on top of things and not letting it come to community responses for the fixes eh

LOLLL

It would be great if the next persons who tries it could do some screenshot so we could give a better feedback for the next users 😉

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello everyone.

Some users have mentioned that following these steps has helped them, maybe you could give it a shot:

1.  Uninstall the Fitbit app from your phones.
  2. Connect the phone with the tracker in the Bluetooth settings. if you see the tracker but can't connect to it, delete it from your phone and add it again.
  3. Remove the Fitbit again.
  4. Install the app once more.
  5. Try to sync your Fitbit to your phone.

Thanks to @fluo75 for sharing these steps in the last page. Please do keep in mind that these steps are not official troubleshooting and are steps that other users have tried to different levels of success.

Let me know if there are any other questions.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

How do we "make sure all files related" are deleted?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @Cookiemom4.

I edited my reply to remove that part, I apologize. They should all be removed upon uninstallating the app. I regularly recommend checking that all files are removed when I ask users to uninstall the software on a computer and I typed it by accident. 

Please do give those steps a try and let me know how they go.

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

@LanuzaFitbit wrote:

Hello everyone.

Some users have mentioned that following these steps has helped them, maybe you could give it a shot:

1.  Uninstall the Fitbit app from your phones.
  2. Connect the phone with the tracker in the Bluetooth settings. if you see the tracker but can't connect to it, delete it from your phone and add it again.
  3. Remove the Fitbit again.
  4. Install the app once more.
  5. Try to sync your Fitbit to your phone.

Thanks to @fluo75 for sharing these steps in the last page. Please do keep in mind that these steps are not official troubleshooting and are steps that other users have tried to different levels of success.

Let me know if there are any other questions.

Hey @LanuzaFitbit: A lot of users have mentioned that the following steps would help them: Fitbit developers FIXING THE APP. Maybe they could give that a shot. Crazy, I know. 

Stop deflecting responsibility to the consumers. 

Best Answer

OK, well, ignoring the fact that all you've done here is parrot a post someone else made, these instructions don't seem to work for the One. It won't pair with the phone at all. It says "pairing" for a short time, then stops, and never pairs.

Now, I'll repeat my question from before: WHAT IS THE STATUS OF YOUR DEVELOPERS WORK ON THIS? Have they recreated this with their own devices in a test lab? Has any problem determination been done?

I'm a software developer by trade. If I had this issue reported, I'd first recreate it in a clean environment (I.e., new Fitbit, factory reset phone). If that failed, in this case, I'd try a factory reset Android 8 device, pair it and get the fitbit working, and then upgrade to Android 9 and see if the problem happened. If it didn't, I'd reach out to the user. If it did, I'd AT LEAST report that a factory reset seemed to resolve the issue. Once the problem is recreated, I'd upgrade the app with extensive logging, so I could see where in the process the issue lies. If it's in the bluetooth stack, I'd engage Google. And AGAIN, I'd notify my upset users that the problem seemed to be in Google's hands.

The issue here is that, as far as any of us can tell, NONE OF THIS HAS BEEN DONE! We have yet to even hear that your developers have recreated the issue. There are only 3 possible reasons for this: 1) They haven't even tried; 2) they are unable to recreate and FitBit is afraid to tell us that (although it would be REALLY useful to know to all of us), or 3) your developers don't communicate with the people posting here, in which case this is an issue for management.

Whatever you do, please stop with the "Thank you for your patience" and "no updates yet" posts. All they do is build ill will.

Best Answer

This is a B.S. response. You cannot, and never have been able to, directly pair the Fitbit One to any phone using Bluetooth outside of the app. This "solution" doesn't work for us One users.

How about responding to the question asked yesterday - is development even aware of this issue? Are they working on it or just ignoring it? Give us something MEANINGFUL! WTF???

Best Answer

Tried those steps again, it still does not work with my pixel and flex. I have to reset my flex on the charger to force a sync. That connection will only last a couple of minutes. Please keep trying for a real resolution for 9 pie!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello.

Our team is certainly aware of the situation and it is being worked on. As I have said before, as soon as there are any updates on the matter they will be shared with everyone.

Feel free to reach out with any questions.

Best Answer
0 Votes