Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android Oreo on Pixel: App crashing when logging Food

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update: 9/12/17

Hey, everyone! This issue has now been resolved with the release of the Fitbit for Android app version 2.57. Please update your apps to the latest version! Now that this issue has been resolved, I'm going to close this thread from further discussion. As always, please open a new thread if you come across any new issues. Thanks for your help! 

Hi, Pixel phone users! 

Thanks for reporting this app crash on Pixel phones with the new Oreo (8.0) Android update. The app is crashing when manually logging new foods in the app. This has been escalated to our team for investigation. Please stay tuned for any updates! 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
74 REPLIES 74

Having the same issue! Pixel XL and Blaze. I'm going through Chemo right now awaiting surgery have to track everything. This is making things harder. Hopefully fixed soon.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, it says the Google pixel is a supported device. As far as I can tell, all issues have been related to the latest Android update, Android 8.0 Oreo. Before the update, the Fitbit app functioned perfectly on my phone. I believe that Google phones like the Pixel and Nexus get that update first, which is why this issue is popping up with those phones first.

Best Answer
0 Votes

You're right @Jyapapaya. The Fitbit app does not support beta versions of the Android OS. This is why you're experiencing crashes.

I recommend using Android 7.0 or below or syncing via a computer for the time-being until Android 8.0 is no longer in beta.

Thanks for your understanding with this matter! 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes
Android 8.0 is not beta. It was released by Google over a month ago. My
phone received the Android 8.0 update from Google via OTA update. I don't
have any beta software on my pixel.
Best Answer

Ditto @tannmann. Android 8.0 is no longer in beta. And to be honest I'm getting pretty frustrated that multiple representatives from Fitbit support have blamed the beta version, and not acknowledged that this is an issue that need to be remedied ASAP. 

Best Answer

I'm having the exact same problem ...  I have a Google Pixel, Oreo update, and a Charge HR.  Can't search food to add calories because the app crashes EVERY TIME, but I can scan barcodes.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Is there anything else to do? I tried and it still won't work

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm having the same problem, and only since the Oreo update. Is Fitbit planning to fix this? I imagine more Android users will have the same problems once they release the update to more than just Pixel users.

Best Answer

@MarreFitbit Android Oreo was officially released August 21st. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_Oreo

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, Pixel phone users! 

Thanks for reporting this app crash on Pixel phones with the new Oreo (8.0) Android update. The app is crashing when manually logging new foods in the app. This has been escalated to our team for investigation. Please stay tuned for any updates! 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

And that this problem was reported several months ago during the beta period and Fitbit employees seem to be un-aware still.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Woo hoo!!  I got a Fitbit update last night and it doesn't crash when I log a new food!!!  😀

Best Answer

@AlessFitbit thank you, and also want to note that when the app crashes it also seems to disable notifications until they are manually enabled again.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Everytime I search and try and log food the app closes. It just started doing this, it's kind of difficult to track calories when it closes Everytime you try and log food. How can I fix this?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Kitanaor That's great news! Thanks for confirming the latest version of the Fitbit app has resolved the app crash when logging food. Smiley Happy

Hey, everyone! This issue has now been resolved with the release of the Fitbit for Android app version 2.57. Please update your apps to the latest version! Now that this issue has been resolved, I'm going to close this thread from further discussion. As always, please open a new thread if you come across any new issues. Thanks for your help! 

Best Answer