Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android Oreo on Pixel: App crashing when logging Food

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update: 9/12/17

Hey, everyone! This issue has now been resolved with the release of the Fitbit for Android app version 2.57. Please update your apps to the latest version! Now that this issue has been resolved, I'm going to close this thread from further discussion. As always, please open a new thread if you come across any new issues. Thanks for your help! 

Hi, Pixel phone users! 

Thanks for reporting this app crash on Pixel phones with the new Oreo (8.0) Android update. The app is crashing when manually logging new foods in the app. This has been escalated to our team for investigation. Please stay tuned for any updates! 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
74 REPLIES 74

Lots of Oreo users are having this problem, including me. I chatted with support and they said they are aware of it. Next update in the Play Store should address it.

Best Answer

Just checked in with support. they are now aware of the issue and working on a fix, which "should be in the Play Store soon."

Best Answer

I am having the same issue with Alta HR and Pixel XL on Android 8.0 (Oreo). The food tracker is all messed up and generates exceptions. The barcode scanner doesn't work all the time when looking up products.

The app is pretty miserable in Android 8.0 right nowScreenshot_20170905-191920.png

Best Answer

I also use the Google pixel and after there Oreo update I have the same issue. I can log foods from the frequent list but not new food. App crashes and displays a crash message allowing me to send feedback.

Best Answer

I updated to Oreo 8.0 on my Pixel yesterday, and I'm having the same problem as you all. Glad we're all in good company, but this is miserable. Hopefully the update comes out soon to fix this bug. 

Best Answer
I contacted Fitbit yesterday, they did not acknowledge that it was a
problem that they had heard of yet. It may be limited to pixel users. If
you are getting the crashed app popup window be sure to send a few reports.

For me the recent list , frequent list and barcode method still work just
not the search. It's still a pain though. Both the lists are too small.
The recent list doesn't have thing that I ate earlier the same day.

I tried the web app and it's no help.
Best Answer

Same issue after Android 8.0.0 update on my Google Pixel with Fitbit Flex.

Best Answer

Same issue. Just reported through "send feedback" when it crashed. Scanning new foods works fine, just the manual search causes issues.

Best Answer

Same here, scan, frequent, recent, and custom work. Not new search though

Best Answer

I'm having the exact same issue.

Best Answer

After I installed the latest Pixel update, my app shuts down when I manually enter food. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, and forced stopped the app and it still.shups down. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Best Answer
0 Votes
After doing some digging around in the forum I see that the food app isn't
the only problem. There are some issues with the GPS mapping feature not
getting enough data after the screen blanks off, some issues with syncing
and problem with sending alerts and messages to be displayed on the watch.

It may take them a while to get it all fixed.

I mapped my run today with the "MapMyRun" app and it didn't have any issues
with the "Oreo" update as far as the mapping goes anyway.

Hopefully an update will be out soon.
Best Answer

This is happening to me as well. I tried uninstalling the app and reinstalling and it still occurs every single time. I can pick a food from recent history, but if i search for something new, the app crashes every single time. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Fitbit Community @Tim01, hope you're doing good! Thanks for already troubleshooting this, nice way to go! 

Hmmm... this is very strange let me say my friend, I have tried using an Android app and my iOS app and both worked fine when I logged food. So, I'd like you to please try the following step-by-step:

• Make sure that your Fitbit app is up-to-date (2.56)
  • Log out of your Fitbit app
  • Force quit the app
  • Turn off the Bluetooth
  • Shut off your phone and turn it on after 1-2 minutes
  • Turn on the Bluetooth
  • Log back into your Fitbit app

If the app is still crashing after that, can you try using a different compatible device to see if the another platform is also having this inconvenience with the food section?

I'll be around my friend! 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer

I am having this same issue on a pixel.  I have tried to steps indicated.  I have even tried factory resetting my phone.  There is a problem with the latest version of the app on the latest update for Pixel phones.

Best Answer

Same issue. The Fitbit app is crashing on my pixel phone when I try to enter food. This has been since the most recent Android update (Oreo)

Best Answer
0 Votes

I performed all the steps as you laid out and there was no change in the apps performance. I will probably just live with this until I can trash my Pixel and go back to a Galaxy. We have two Pixels in our family. Mine has been replaced once and the other twice. I'm very disappointed in the Pixel and will be very hesitant to buy one again.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm a Pixel owner with the same issue.  >=(

Best Answer
0 Votes

Oh no, didn't even think about the other features. I haven't used the GPS run feature since I updated two days ago.. I planned to use it tomorrow. Hopefully I won't have any issues, but it's not sounding good. 

Best Answer
>From what I understand the Oreo update includes a change in how GPS data is
handled. In order to save power the GPS data flow is reduced when the phone
screen blanks off. For some apps this is not a problem but for apps that
are mapping or measuring distance it's a different story. For the short
term you can set your phone display to stay on and turn the brightness way
down, not an idea fix but should work for most runs for now.

If you have the free " MapMyRun" app , it is working after the update. You
can log the run in map my run and just let the Fitbit app auto detect the
workout if your model supports that.

You will probably notice that the workout details very Abit between the two
apps but they are close enough. Don't try to log with both at the same
time by manual starting the logging, that results in the Fitbit app
recording bad data and killing your averages.

If you like to map your runs you might want to try the "Strava" app as
well. It has support for Fitbit Heart rate data and the mapping feature.
The only drawback with it is it's not live, it imports the data
automatically from Fitbit. It's free and easy to set up.
Best Answer
0 Votes