Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 2 GPS distance inaccuracy after 2.66 - RESOLVED w/ 2.67.1

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update: 3/12/18

Hey, there!

I wanted to check-in with everyone as it seems that GPS distance and accuracy has improved with version 2.67. Thanks for letting me know that its better!

Today, we released the Fitbit for Android app version 2.67.1. Please update the app and let me know how it goes with this version. As always, we recommend updating whenever there is a new app version released as this ensures your tracker works as expected.  

If this continues even on the latest version, I'll need to gather some more specific data from some of you to pass this along to our engineers. Thanks for all your help and cooperation! 

Fitbit Update: 2/21/18

Thanks for all the responses! Smiley Happy

As mentioned, this issue with Connected GPS has been escalated to the appropriate team for investigation. I would really appreciate everyone's patience in the meantime. When a fix is in the works, I'll make sure to update you all here. Stay tuned for any updates! 

Fitbit Update: 2/16/18

Thanks for all the great information, everyone! I have merged in some additional threads to get one unified conversation. 

I really appreciate you all taking the time to share the details of your current experience with Android app: 2.66. I understand how important accuracy is to all of you. This has been escalated to our team for review! I will provide updates here in this thread when more information becomes available. Thanks for your help. 

Hi, everyone!

Thanks for reporting and bringing this to my attention. Sorry to hear that you are all getting inaccurate distance measurements after recording GPS Runs with your Charge 2. 

Please help me narrow down and confirm the following:

-Did this issue begin with the last Fitbit for Android app version: 2.66?

-Is this distance discrepancy also happening with Mobilerun or only when using Connected GPS

-Which error message are you seeing on the tracker, if any? 

If you haven't already, please try a restart and take a look through this help article for more troubleshooting suggestions. Let me know if this changes anything or the same issue persist! 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
283 REPLIES 283

Thanks! I was able to find one - but having issues due to ads - getting to the apk file. 

Aptoide... Forgot about this one - use it for my Amazon stuff too... when I forget to turn auto-updates off. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@AllSpark yes I paused it twice. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Oh Joy!  After reverting to v2.65.1 I have had a successful tracking and mapping.  Started my walk on my Charge 2, ended on the Charge 2, syncing was short and painless (best part imho), distance was correct(?) (a little long?) and voilà, a map, split times, heart rate, calories burned.  What more could a girl ask for?  😉

Charge 2 is v22.22.55.2, phone is Samsung Galaxy S7 running Android v7.0.  I used bluetooth headphones both during the walk and the sync.  No interference.  I would like to be a more patient person but some known issues have gone on for months through countless app upgrades and I was frustrated.  I was happy at v2.65.1 and I wanted to return to that blissful state.

Kathy | USA
Versa SE, Charge 2, Samsung Galaxy S10+
Best Answer

@kcronin That's great! Hopefully @AlessFitbit can note this so developers know something significant changed between versions 2.65.1 and 2.66.

Maybe others can weigh in with how version 2.65.1 is working for them as well ... will be trying mine tomorrow on a run. Fingers crossed Smiley Frustrated ...

Best Answer

@kcronin @SunsetRunner @AlessFitbit
I downgraded from 2.66 to 2.65.1 this morning (even though FitBitSupport on twitter told me that was not possible).  I just went out for a run and ALL OF THE PROBLEMS FROM 2.66 ARE GONE.
 - I started the GPS run from my Charge 2 without issue.  Sync'ed immediately.
 - My in-run pace was back to where I expected it. This is CRITICAL for me.  This is how I throttle myself for a successful run. This run went much smoother than the previous few weeks. I suspect since I am not trying to run too face to get my pace down to an unnachievable rate.

- I can't say specifically if the final distance measured is correct (I think it is), but, it is longer than my previous two runs of the same path by over a quarter mile.
 - The map has NO discontinuities or jagged lines AT ALL.

Best Answer

@foofarley Awesome! I think Fitbit really doesn't want to allow downgrading for some reason (I was scolded by a moderator for supplying instructions), but obviously, it can be done if you are even slightly savvy... glad to know your issues are resolved. Hoping Fitbit releases a new version above 2.66 with the fix included.

Best Answer
In that case I suspect pausing might make things worse. I havnt had chance
to try myself yet so not sure if you want to give it a go, but if so, see
if not pausing improves anything...?
Best Answer
0 Votes

Can someone post the instructions to downgrade to the previous version please?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I paused the walk I tracked earlier today on a couple of occasions and it did not affect the accuracy of the mileage or route mapping.

Best Answer

Anyone get an answer for the GPS not connecting or it's horrible inaccuracies as of late? Frustrating 

Best Answer

My update.  I also downgraded to 2.5.1 and everything was working again on my run this evening.  Thank you to the poster who provided instructions!  You provided far more help than Fitbit has.  

I now have auto-update disabled, but will watch this thread for news of an update that fixes the problem that came with 2.66.

Best Answer

Please tell us the progression.All the patience from your customers depend on the time frame that fitbit should be announce to all of us. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Downgraded and back in business. Sorry Fitbit...fix your s#!t and we won't down grade. You know how health nut ppl are. Good luck with the fix. 🙂

Best Answer
How do you downgrade to the 2.5 version
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Chrispeck400 Google it 🙂

(Don't mean to be rude but it's against the forum rules if I tell you ... sorry!)

Best Answer
Gotcha, thank you!
Best Answer
0 Votes

A place like 

https://www.reddit.com/r/fitbit/

might be a good place to look.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey everyone! I hope you are doin' great! Smiley Very Happy We know that this issue with connected GPS has been affected a lot Android users but as my friend @AlessFitbit mentioned above, the Fitbit team is already aware of this and they are working in order to get a solution as soon as they can 'cause is interfering with our results, specially if we take training and everything into consideration, we can't have our data as we used to. Now regarding downgrading to the previous app version, the 2.65.1, doesn't guarantee that you'll get better results and keep in mind that previous bugs might come back. 

In addition, we don't recommend sideloading the Fitbit app since it is not an official Fitbit release which may cause issues such as viruses on your mobile device.

In the meantime, I will appreciate your time and patience into this matter. And if you have further questions or comments, keep us posted folks! 😉 

Heydy | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi HeydyFitbit,

Thank you for the update but it would appear you/ the Fitbit team have an inability to read and take on-board customer feedback and respond appropriately to customer issues.  Please note the above comments that state, where downgrades have been completed to the previous version it has resulted in a vastly improved Fitbit experience from the current 2.66 version.      

Your immediate response, as a result of this feedback, should be to rollback to the previous version until your tech team finds a solution to the 2.66 issues to provide complete customer satisfaction or at least provide the option.  Alternatively, to save the tech team the embarrassment they could call it 2.66.1 and hey presto they have found a fix! You don't have to tell us its the previous.

Good luck with finding a solution.

Best Answer

Just wanted to also confirm that under version 2.65.1, the issue is resolved: pace, distance, and connected GPS path are all correct once again. See below:

Before on v2.66Before on v2.66

After on v2.65.1After on v2.65.1

Sorry if you already know the root cause and all, Fitbit folks, but... just wanted to weigh in.

Best Answer