Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 2 GPS distance inaccuracy after 2.66 - RESOLVED w/ 2.67.1

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update: 3/12/18

Hey, there!

I wanted to check-in with everyone as it seems that GPS distance and accuracy has improved with version 2.67. Thanks for letting me know that its better!

Today, we released the Fitbit for Android app version 2.67.1. Please update the app and let me know how it goes with this version. As always, we recommend updating whenever there is a new app version released as this ensures your tracker works as expected.  

If this continues even on the latest version, I'll need to gather some more specific data from some of you to pass this along to our engineers. Thanks for all your help and cooperation! 

Fitbit Update: 2/21/18

Thanks for all the responses! Smiley Happy

As mentioned, this issue with Connected GPS has been escalated to the appropriate team for investigation. I would really appreciate everyone's patience in the meantime. When a fix is in the works, I'll make sure to update you all here. Stay tuned for any updates! 

Fitbit Update: 2/16/18

Thanks for all the great information, everyone! I have merged in some additional threads to get one unified conversation. 

I really appreciate you all taking the time to share the details of your current experience with Android app: 2.66. I understand how important accuracy is to all of you. This has been escalated to our team for review! I will provide updates here in this thread when more information becomes available. Thanks for your help. 

Hi, everyone!

Thanks for reporting and bringing this to my attention. Sorry to hear that you are all getting inaccurate distance measurements after recording GPS Runs with your Charge 2. 

Please help me narrow down and confirm the following:

-Did this issue begin with the last Fitbit for Android app version: 2.66?

-Is this distance discrepancy also happening with Mobilerun or only when using Connected GPS

-Which error message are you seeing on the tracker, if any? 

If you haven't already, please try a restart and take a look through this help article for more troubleshooting suggestions. Let me know if this changes anything or the same issue persist! 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
283 REPLIES 283

I'm now on 2.67, was better than previous version but still not recording distance right.

Just downloaded new version but not tested it out yet.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks.i m going to test it tomorrow.
Best Answer

What is the reason for not re-releasing 2.65.x until the problem has been definitively fixed?  

I *love* replacing functional software with a buggy beta release.  

Best Answer

Thanks to @AlessFitbit for posting the information regarding version 2.67.1.

I installed 2.67.1 earlier this afternoon and I have since tracked two walks and two cycle rides.  The accuracy of the distances recorded for my activities is much improved on 2.66, although my Charge 2 still under recorded mileage by a smaller amount when compared to previously recorded data and data from my Urban Biker cycling App.

The accuracy of GPS mapping of my routes was greatly improved and asides from a single spike during my first walk, the maps were comparable to previous versions of the App and Urban Biker.

Sorted then...maybe!

Since installing version 2.67.1 the App keeps randomly crashing and when I try to open it all I see is the Fitbit banner and a blank screen.  I have found the only way to clear this issue is by restarting my phone, which is all very well, but who wants to keep rebooting their phone every time Fitbit decides to crash?

Update: The issue with Fitbit crashing appears to have resolved.  It occurred to me that when I install 2.67.1 some of the settings reverted to default, including granting Fitbit unmonitored app status, which I believe may have been the cause of the crashes.

Samsung Galaxy A5 (2017), Android 7

Best Answer
0 Votes

Samsung Galaxy S8 Active | Charge 2

And surprise, surprise. My phone had a software update, and now the fitbit app no longer works, even at the 90% ability it was previously functioning at. It's either that or I somehow developed the ability to teleport, which would explain the MASSIVE gaps in the GPS tracking on the run I just went on. See below. I should add that it has been over 1 month since this issue was brought to Fitbit's attention by the user community and they still have not rectified this basic issue. It's has become clearly obvious that fitbit has 0 sense of urgency when it comes to the android user community, which is very disappointing. Everyone in my running group, also experiencing this issue, has agreed that we will not be continuing to support this company who clearly only cares about money and just parades around as a company pretending to care about people trying to live a healthier lifestyle. Anyone else who is experiencing this consistent issue, please join us in spreading the word of your experriance and help stop those who are considering purchasing these defective products, and point them toward a more experrianced and reliable company, like Garmin. Companies like Fitbit should not be allowed to succeed in their abuse of people trust like this.Screenshot_20180313-195922.png

Best Answer
I've given up, this problem should never of happened and it shouldnt be
taking so long to resolve, and by the looks of things it still isnt
resolved by version 2.27.1. I've now sold my charge hr 2 and bought a
garmin forerunner 235, gps and distance were spot on.
Best Answer
The latest update fixed the issue. My 5K was almost perfect last night.
About 50m difference between Runtastic and fitbit
Best Answer

Last update 2.67.1 fixed the issue on Android Motorola at least for my last run. Tracked in km correct distance. WillWgo for another run in three days.

Best Answer

I have just returned from a 12-mile cycle ride and I am pleased to report that my Charge 2 accurately mapped my route and my mileage was only out by 1.7% when compared to my Urban Biker App; which is negligible really.

It does seem that version 2.67.1 has at last fixed the GPS issue, as well as improving syncing.

However, I am unable to load maps for my activities via the App and when I click on an activity the route displays but the map has just road names and the background keeps flashing.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Couldn't agree more. I went through all this with the surge, bought a charge 2 thinking if it was a new model it would work.

it's just an expensive piece of rubbish since the update. It doesnt work as advertised and in my opinion isn't fit for purpose.

another expensive waste of my money.

you're right about fitbit. Feeble answers trying to shift blame to users who are expected to constantly reboot their phone.

Other companies manage updates perfectly well.

fitbit has a lot to learn. i'm never buying anything of theirs again.

Garmin and polar are currently getting researched.

Best Answer

i went for a run this morning, and tracked it on both my charge 2 and the fitbit app. distance and time is still off. this is incredibly frustrating, why is this taking so long to correct?

Best Answer

Finally got to test out 2.67.1.... You broke it again. It wasn't right with 2.67 but after a month of this nonsense it was finally getting closer. Today's 4 mile run had gps drop out approximately 2.5 miles into it while Strava continued all the way through to the end.  

Can anyone explain to me why I have to field test a product that I paid for? 

Best Answer

I tried 2.67.1 today and it recorded as 6.0km, rather than the 6.2km that Strava recorded. The Strava figure again agrees with a manual plot on http://map.meurisse.org/. Fitbit is only ~3% out this time, rather than ~7% last time with 2.67, so might be getting closer, but 2 runs isn't really a great sample size.

I've had my GPS drop out halfway round a couple of times since upgrading to 2.66. On both occasions I had received a phone call during the run, but the GPS dropped out 5-10 minutes after the call finished, so that was probably a coincidence. I also noticed that the Fitbit battery was fairly low - definitely less than 50%, probably less than 30%, but not so low that I'd expect it to stop working. On one of the runs I noticed it wasn't connected any more, opened the Fitbit app and it suddenly reconnected, so that would suggest that it didn't think the battery was too low to use the GPS.

However, since then I've made sure I charge it before I'm going for a run and it hasn't dropped out again. I haven't had a phone call mid-run though, so I can't rule that out either.

Best Answer

Two days ago I updated the FitBit app on my Moto G5 Plus to version 2.67.1 and based on two (known) routes it seems to be spot on again! It fixed it for me.

Somewhere on page 1 of this topic I posted the comparison of my lunchbreak route on two occasions. Today I recorded the exact same route and it's just like it used to be the months before the dreaded update early febuary. Thanks FitBit!

fitbit-gps-compare.jpg

Best Answer

I ran yesterday with 2.67.1. It still seems off; a run I'm pretty sure is 7.1 got measured as 7.01. However, it is now not "as off" as what caused me to seek help to begin with. So, although I think things can be further improved, I also think things are tolerable for my purposes.

Best Answer

Haven't tested connected GPS yet but since upgrading to 2.67.1 (from the 2.65.1 version I rolled back illegally to Smiley Tongue), I've noticed that the app seems to randomly log me out. This was only mildly annoying at first since I have my credentials saved on Android at the system level, but it does mean that the tile layout within the app is reset as well. I also have to reconfigure notifications and go through the "welcome" steps to each section (reminders to move, exercise goals, etc) before viewing live data. It's as if the app is suddenly reset to some freshly-installed mode.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm on Android 8.1 (Oreo) using a Google Pixel (1st-gen from 2016).

Best Answer
0 Votes

I haven't been able to run my normal route to compare due to an autoimmune flare up, so I mapped a quick walk with dogs today just to check out the map. The distance seems to be ok, but the map is still all over the place. Not as jagged as it was at it's worst, but not as good as it was pre update from hell in February.

Everything is up to date on my phone. I've double checked all my settings. At this point I've lost all faith and trust in the bit and app. How hard is it to just roll back the update? Is there some ulterior motive? What do you want from us??

My boyfriend asked me a dozen times if I was sure I wanted a fitbit for Christmas, and not another brand. I said yes, of course I want fitbit! And here I am with a thing that's worked well for a mere month and a half, and he gets the satisfaction of know he was right and I was wrong. I'm so frustrated. I doubt I'll be keeping it around much longer.

Best Answer

@Aelizl Would you be willing to share screenshots of your walk today? Being able to show Fitbit the jagged lines you're still getting might help them see there is still an issue perhaps... especially if you can also share a screenshot indicating you're on v2.67.1 (the latest version released).

Best Answer

i ran again today (up to date pixel 2, fitbit at 2.67.1), this time with no bluetooth headphones connected (but at a normal pace). distance is still off; i ran what i know (from multiple devices) is 3.0 miles, and fitbit said 2.95. within rounding error, but not correct like it used to be.

Best Answer

This is all I have as far as proof. I've been updating as they roll them out. I included the strava import from my walk today because it shows the wayward lines better. I did clock the walk from today in my car, and the distance seems fairly accurate. Perhaps it's just cosmetic at this point, but I have a hard time trusting it. Especially considering a straight map wasn't always out of the realm of possibilities.  CollageMaker_20180315_144420067.jpg

CollageMaker_20180315_144933782.jpg

Best Answer