Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit app crashes when attempting to log custom food

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

When you go into the app on Android, go to add a food item that you ate, click on custom and then try to scroll down to find the food item, the app crashes stating:

Something went wrong with Fitbit

Fitbit closed because this app has a bug.

Try updating this app after it's developer provides a fix for this error.

This was AFTER I updated to the latest release.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
85 REPLIES 85

You anticipate a fix in the next few *months*? For a crash that completely breaks core functionality? Are you people serious right now? This is no way to run a business.

But given your track record for other bug fixes, I think you're actually being too optimistic. It usually takes you years to fix obvious bugs.

Best Answer

I am having the exact same issue and am again very disappointed in the Fitbit staff and lack of providing customer service for product they sell.

Due to medical issues I rely on a device to ensure I meet certain milestones, which I share to my DR.

Best Answer

Yes , Bloody annoying, especially as the 'fix' would be just to wind back to the previous version which (mostly) worked fine, but instead we get an 'update' that none of us wanted and isn't any better. Really glad I have bought 2 fitbits now !!

Best Answer
:hundred_points: agree! It is very sad because alot of us use it for health reasons and
when the company doesn't care about that meaning their customers it is so
disheartening. There didn't seem to be issues before Google bought them and
they're so big they obviously don't care.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello everyone. Welcome to all newcomers!

Thanks for sharing the current status of your situation. Please rest assured that this has been reported already and Fitbit is working on getting this resolved. We appreciate your feedback and patience regarding this matter.

I wish you all an amazing weekend. Have a good one!

RodrigoM | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer
Yah. And I am waiting for Xmas. Weeks to months!!!! Sad for fitbit. Every
day you are loosing more customers and you do not seem to care.
Best Answer

For me, on Google Pixel:

• Crashes when scrolling through custom foods.
  • Crashes when creating a new custom food.

Unusable in its current state for me, since I rely on custom foods a lot.

Best Answer

Agreed... it's awful, and still not resolved in the 3.67 release of the app. BUT... if you know how you've input your own custom foods, the search function still works so you should be able to log them via that method.. as a last ditch resort, you could add them via web browser at https://www.fitbit.com/foods/log - not particularly convenient, but slightly better than noting

Best Answer
0 Votes
Looks like 3.67 is for iOS apple not available for android.. Really. Sadder
by the day. FITBIT has lost contact with the user. Just want to sell
watches
Best Answer
0 Votes

This has already been going on for a month. And it will be "months" to fix it?

Is it possible to roll back to a version that works?

Best Answer
0 Votes

A few months? Really? You may well have lost a high number of users before then, me included 

Best Answer

Those of us who pay for the premium service should get a refund!

Best Answer

Having the same problem. Have used this function religiously so this is a real PITA.

Has worked for me for over 3 years. Entirely unacceptable.

Fitbit was better off independent than with Google. 

Best Answer

Having the same problem on my Android app, and so have had to establish a work-around:

• can get to historical custom foods using fitbit login, and navigating to the following in my browser https://www.fitbit.com/foods/private;
  • can then add to, change, or log those foods there;
  • once these foods have been logged once, they appear in my Recent / Frequent lists in the app, and can be used from there.

Still clunky to use, as serving size and quantity doesn't appear to work fully from the browser version, and inconvenient, as switching to browser version slows things down, but thankfully only when reaching into the past for infrequent foods, after which I can manage via the app.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Specifically back to LizzyFitbit, can I make the distinction between functionality, where it's appropriate to say that you'll try to get a new feature in over the following months, and bugs, where you've broken something that lots of people use, and that people use the devices for.

Giving a timescale of months works for new features.  Can I suggest that where fitbit has broken their own app functionality, and their app is crashing, something more like "We have this logged, our developers are looking into it urgently, and we'll keep you updated" is more appropriate, and fixes should probably come within weeks at the most.

It's deeply concerning that your users need to point this out to you, rather than your internal Fitbit development contacts, as this directly damages the brand, as you can see in the comments above.

[ gets off of soap-box ]

I hope the workaround I added above works for those that need the functionality, while Fitbit look to fix the bug.

Best Answer

All I have to say is me too. I've used this feature every day for years and spent countless hours creating my custom food list, now inaccessible. Ive spent a few weeks uninstalling/reinstalling, logging in and out, rebooting. Nothing worked. I just found this thread in hopes of finding a solution but it seems I found a community of equally frustrated users. 

Best Answer

Still no fix. Posting again to remind the Fitbit staff that this is completely ridiculous and they should all be ashamed of themselves.

At this point I'll be passing on any developer resumes I see that even list your pathetic company in their history.

Best Answer

What a joke. Done with Fitbit, and actively swearing anyone I can away from it.

You have Google money now, and can't get basic functionality working on a mainstream device?

Months of nonsense and BS communication. (Mods aside. They're doing what they can.)

Best Answer

Hi everyone and welcome to the forums.

Thanks for the details provided and your efforts while working on this matter. We're happy to let you know that the issue with the Android app crashing when attempting to log a custom food has been fixed with our Android 3.68 App release. This app is progressively rolling out to all our members, so in case you don't see it right now, please check later.

Your feedback is truly appreciated, so please don't hesitate to let me know if you encounter any issues after installing this update. This will help us to investigate and continue helping you.

Best Answer

Just updated to 3.68 on a Samsung S22, and I'm tentatively happy.

Custom Food no longer crashes and macro counts look legit. 

Fingers crossed it stays this way. 

Thank you @LizzyFitbit for the update.

Best Answer