Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit app draining too much battery on Pixel 6

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Has anyone else noticed certain apps having wild background battery usage on their #pixel6 ? My Fitbit and OpenPath apps are using a ton of battery in the background and we're not on my #pixel5 running #Android12 earlier this week. 

Both are set to optimized battery usage. Any idea for a fix? Restrict it (though both of these apps require background usage)? Force quit? Clear cache?

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity.

Best Answer
29 REPLIES 29

@benbourgeois1 Welcome to the forums. On my last Huawei device I also used to get a message that the Fitbit App was draining too much battery. I now have another smartphone. I actually let my Fitbit app run in the background. Batteries on smartphones nowadays have longer battery life. It actually does not affect me that much. I have not upgraded to Android 12. 

The Fitbit app drains battery, because it is constantly trying to sync your devices. That is the reason, as you mentioned, that this app requires background usage in order to fully function. Usually the settings for optimized battery should do the job. However, in this case I would recommend force quitting the app. That way it will start working, until you open it again. I noticed it with WhatsApp. Once I force quit it, it will not display new messages until I open it again. 

Have a nice day!

RodrigoM | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer
I force quit the app but unfortunately it drained 18% of my battery in the
last 2 hours in the background. I think I'm going to restrict background
use and submit a ticket to Fitbit.
Best Answer

Same issue here.  Have had my Pixel 6 with Fitbit connected for over 2 weeks.  Everything was fine until this morning I noticed a big battery drain.  Was down to 70% at 7am when I am usually still in the 90's.  The battery report is showing Fitbit as the biggest offender.  Even bigger than Chrome, which is what I am in the most.  Forums didn't help me unfortunately.  Everything I have found says to turn off settings that don't seem to exist in the Fitbit app I have.  Uninstalled the app, and will probably stop wearing the Fitbit.  Will reassess if I see any promising posts.  Good luck to you.

Best Answer

@benbourgeois1 Thanks for the reply and the explanation. Apologize the delayed response. This baffles me and I find it pretty odd. Yeah, better restrict the background use. That will prevent notifications to be sent though. Thanks for reaching out to customer support. I am sure they will help you out. 

@geeky123456789 Welcome to the forums. Thanks for explaining. Please make sure the Fitbit app is up to date. Continue then to monitor the battery consumption. The Pixel 6 is actually brand new. Let's see how it unfolds. 

Have nice a day!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I uninstalled or reinstall the app but it continued draining a lot of battery. I also noticed that after every update, the battery settings automatically reset from restricted to optimized in a battery starts draining quickly again.  How do we submit a ticket to Fitbit? I sent an email to the address listed on their Google Play store listing but it was a no reply address and linked me here.  I believe I've had at least two or three app updates since I got this device and it still happening. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@benbourgeois1 Understood. Thanks for the detailed explanation. 

Okay, the best way to submit a ticket or inquiry is through the help site or the Fitbit app. Here is the direct link to contact support either via chat, email or even phone.  In the Fitbit app you just need to tap on your profile picture. Scroll down and tap on "help & support". There you have the option to contact support through the app. 

Have a nice day. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello all,

i see wired battery usage on my Pixel 6 for Fitbit app. it's like always on and according the stats it is a battery hog!

Hase sombodey elese ecounterd this kind of problems? is there a solution?

By default the battery optimisation setting are on unrestricted, bur if i set on Optimized it has the same behavior

https://imgur.com/a/AUkFmDu 

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity.

Best Answer

@SmXtrem-  if you turn off Bluetooth do you get the same issue?

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello that is the one thing what i did not try 🙂

I tried to force stop, reinstall, restrict battery usage, turn of location, turn off watch notifications all with no result.

Now the app is uninstalled that was the absolute solution for the bug.

I contacted support also and the answers where not satisfied.... There where generic...

They told me they opened a support ticket but never received confirmation e-mail or ticket number.........

Best Answer
0 Votes

changing the battery optimization to restricted doesn't solve the issue too.

Best Answer

Same by me to...

So i reinstalled the app and done some research.

With fitbit installed overnight battery drain is 5-6% and with fitbit unistalled 1%

So the main issue with that app is that it is running in the foreground nonstop instead using las battery and running in background...

How much we need to wait that fitbit solves this critical issue????

Best Answer

+ unlinking of google voice assistant doesn't change the battery drain either

Best Answer
Yep this is exactly what I'm seeing!
Best Answer
0 Votes

@btkeles @Guy_ Nice to see you here again.

@Guy_ I appreciate your help. @btkeles Thanks for letting us know what you have already tried. @SmXtrem Welcome to the forums. Thanks for explaining and your tests results. I have moved your posts here, in order to maintain order in the community. Plus this topic is already been discussed. However, no matter what setting we change or tweak, it does not seem to improve the battery consumption. 

@SmXtrem I was informed that your inquiry was successfully submitted to support. I suggest you keep contact with them, they will provide you with a resolution. 

@btkeles Please make sure the Fitbit app is up to date. Continue to monitor the battery consumption. Given that the Pixel 6 is brand new, I think and app update could improve this. Let's see how it turns out. 

Greetings!

Best Answer

Hello,

Thank you for your reply

Is there any ETA for a possible bug fix or is there a BETA which we can test if the fix is ok or not?

Thank you

P.s. i tried to post it also on fitbit Reddit community to see if there are more users affected but it seems that the community is heavily CENSORED and since days the moderators did not approve the post..... 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I would be interested to know this as well. I've actually had a few Fitbit
app updates on my Pixel 6 in the past few weeks but none have addressed the
battery issue.
Best Answer

Hello, some updates about the issue....?

There where no contact from support team, there where no app updates, nothing.. the my posts on reddit community still censored wtf....

I tried to deactivate the auto detect exercises still not working.

If i go to walk the battery usage of the app skyrockets to 55% for the 2 hour span.  Wtf fitbit.

Why not solving the issue?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I found a workaround, you unistall fitbit and when you reinstalling it do not activate notification service!!!

I enabled developer option and observed that the notification service of fitbit was the battery hog! I did also tests on Android 11 and had no issue 

And now fitbit runs in the background les then 1 min to communicate with the tracker to the refresh data.

Best Answer
I keep having to restrict background usage. Every time there's an update I
try changing it back to default but it uses a ton of battery so there's no
apparent fix in sight.
Best Answer