Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Pixel Watch overestimating calories

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

The pixel watch is massively overestimating my calorie burn.  I've changed from a charge 4 to the pixel watch and my Kj burned due to exercise has tripled for the same amount of steps.  A 5 km run at a ~30min pace with the charge 4 was about 400kj and with the pixel watch is over 900. Yesterday the watch said I burnt 5900 cal, despite walking only 7000 steps and not doing a workout.  Compared to last week using the charge 4 I had a day with over 25000 steps and 3 hours of workouts, and the calorie calculation was 4900.  I know from counting calories and seeing my weight change that the charge 4 was close to accurate.  So far today i've taken less that 600 steps and done absolutly no excercise, but according to the watch i've burned an additional 2297kj due to excercise.  

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity.
Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hello everyone. 

I welcome all the newcomers in the forums. Thanks for reaching out regarding the estimated calorie burn with the Google Pixel Watch.

It seems to be a situation affecting many users. According to what I have read on the thread, restart has helped many users get the calculation back to "normal". It is also advised to check the personal settings, such as height, weight, etc. Since these influence the BMR. However, I understand most of you did not change any setting prior upgrading to the Pixel watch, so this would not be a major factor in the miscalculation. 

I suggest you try restarting the device according to the instructions in the following article: Restart your watch - click here. It seems to have helped many users. 

I can confirm that this situation has already been reported. As soon as I learn more about this, I will come back and let you all know. I greatly appreciate your patience. 

Have a nice day!

RodrigoM | Community Moderator, Fitbit

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
84 REPLIES 84

Yes, seeing the same thing here. So far today I've got out of bed and walked maybe 100m Andy literally nothing else, and my watch thinks I've already burned nearly 2000 calories by 11am!

Best Answer

I am having the same issue. I had a Fitbit sense before the pixel watch and my data was very accurate. The calories are certainly overestimating. I hope Fitbit and Google find a solution for this fairly quickly. 

Best Answer

Same here, I just woken up and it says I have burned early 2000 calories. 

Best Answer

Can confirm, it's really overestimated by far. Today I burned 4000+ calories without any exercise on lazy day with just a walk.

It's totally wrong and too much.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm having the same issue. Seems like the BMR is miscalculated? Looking at my calories burned every 15m while sleeping with the watch on.. it's showing 40kcal.. That's almost double what it should be (22kcal)

Past three days of wearing the watch 24h it has calculated daily calories at 5000, 9000!!!, and today is on track for close to 6000).

No workouts on these three days, just very light dog walks, and netflix.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My first full day with the Pixel Watch and I am comfortably 1500 calories over too. Mine is also at least double what it should be overnight. Alongside a poor battery life we're not getting on well at the moment. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same. I did a comparison against my polar H10 on two walks:

- 35mins brisk walk: Pixel Watch = 300 cals, H10 = 200 cals 

- 45mins brisk walk: Pixel Watch = 400 cals, H10 = 250 cals

The overestimation is consistent across all activities, and yes, my personal details (Weight, Height, Age) are the same in FitBit and Polar.

Yesterday, the FitBit app says I burned 5269 cals with the following activities:

- 1.5 hr gym workout

- 1 x 25mins walk

No way would I have a cal burn of 5269 - even when including incidental activities throughout the day.

This issue renders the pixel watch with FitBit useless for fitness tracking. Something is not right - this needs to be recitified asap.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Anyone tried the google support number and get anywhere? They are absolutely useless on this issue for me, and the official Pixel Watch google

I'll probably just return it in a week if there's no fix, or acknowledgment about it from google.

Moderator Edit: word choice

Best Answer
0 Votes

@RodrigoMFitbit Has this issue been reported to the FitBit team, are you aware for this being a know issue with the Pixel Watch / FitBit combination?

Best Answer

Ok, looking closer, it seems like it's counting some things accurately - I did an indoor bike session yesterday and it was very close.

My suspicion is that it's somehow double counting with Google Fit, but not sure how I'd go about turning that off

Edit - I turned off Google Fit's 'track my activity' setting last night and it's calculated my overnight calorie burn at about 20 per 15m, which is about right.  I'll report back this evening to see if that's fixed it for the day

Edit 2 - after going for a walk, it has updated and is now wildly over-estimating again. Something definitely still off 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Pelmichr Not sure about your configuration, but Google Fit isn't syncing with the Fitbit app for me and I don't have Google fit installed on the watch (I don't think you actually install it).

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't have Google Fit either so that's not the issue for me. My exercise/exertion is not far off accurate, it's at rest for me that the numbers are grossly exaggerated. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi new pixel watch owners!

There seems to be a bug where if you have Google Fit tracking your activity, it will double count your calories on the Fitbit app.  This is why so many people are reporting significant overestimation!

To fix, just turn off 'track your activities' in the settings of Google Fit

---------

Do you have another fitness tracking app that could be connected?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've got myfitnesspal connected to my FB account, as I have had for the last few years but it's never interfered in my FB data before so not sure how it would now. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Give it a try for science?
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have MyFitnessPal syncing with the Fitbit app. Have now disconnected it and will report findings tomorrow. This means that I have no external apps feeding data to Fitbit. Let's see how this goes. 

Best Answer

I've disconnected mine now as well so we will see. Its 8am in the UK, I've done 375 steps and I'm about 500 calories ahead of where I should be... 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ok, this might not be working as I'd thought.  

This morning, it had my overnight calorie burn at 20 per 15m but it's just updated and now says 31... Something definitely causing problems still

Best Answer
0 Votes

Disconnecting from MFP hasn't helped. Still massive over estimations here. 

Best Answer
0 Votes