Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Pixel Watch overestimating calories

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

The pixel watch is massively overestimating my calorie burn.  I've changed from a charge 4 to the pixel watch and my Kj burned due to exercise has tripled for the same amount of steps.  A 5 km run at a ~30min pace with the charge 4 was about 400kj and with the pixel watch is over 900. Yesterday the watch said I burnt 5900 cal, despite walking only 7000 steps and not doing a workout.  Compared to last week using the charge 4 I had a day with over 25000 steps and 3 hours of workouts, and the calorie calculation was 4900.  I know from counting calories and seeing my weight change that the charge 4 was close to accurate.  So far today i've taken less that 600 steps and done absolutly no excercise, but according to the watch i've burned an additional 2297kj due to excercise.  

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity.
Best Answer
84 REPLIES 84

Hi,

New pixel watch user.

It is February 2023 and this issue is still present.

Please Fitbit and Google. Put some time in fixing the most basic feature on the watch!

Best Answer

Has there been any update to this? It's now April 2023 and it's still doing this. Google and 100s of reports of this acknowledge the issue with Pixel watcha and algorithm but still massively over calculating? Google fit with my phone only works better than a device strapped to my wrist. This is getting frustrating. 

Best Answer

To whoever marked this as "answered" - the only "answer" is to restart the watch, which I have done several times in the several months I have owned it and it has not made any difference. This remains a major issue with what is supposed to be useful as a fitness tracker. Is anyone even looking into it?

Best Answer

Definitely not solved! Yesterday I have burned 5254 calories. I was just biking 1-2 hours which made 1500 calories. It is nearly impossible that I have burned that much calories.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Please fix this bug. I've done workouts for the last couple of weeks and my calories show up as double while I'm doing the workout and half, 50% of what they truly should be after I've done the workout. Just fix the bug.

It's incredible that the exercise app gets something so fundamental wrong. Like how can you write software so that it violates the basic calorie calculation formula.

Sarcastically , I mean I'm impressed at the creativity of the software developers for having managed to create software which either double subscribes or a halfway subscribes to the heart rate, but only for the part of the code that does the calorie display. I'm a pro software developer with dozens of years and this is some next level creative bug that Have managed to ship for it looks like 9 months now. I'm sarcastic but I really am also stunned at how free from knowledge of how the inner workings of the watch and host like heart rate information environment that the developer must have to be to write software that is susceptible to not working, just some of the time. Like It feels that the developer was one where they don't know what is going on, they know how to like print hello world, and call functions, and otherwise have to be watched by other staff all the time to fix things when they write a bug, and add it to the shipped product.

Separately, Why isn't there a forum for pixel watches? I come here and I see the pixel watch show up on the front page of the support area and then I get into the support a little deeper and there are no pixel watch forums. This is a pixel watch bug. I'm having to look through page 3 to page 5 of some wacky thread from 2022 just to get support for my pixel watch. I came here from the pixel forums on Google and then when I get here, at the direction of some pixel platinum support expert on the Google forums, and holy moly I couldn't even log in with my Google account. I had to reset my Fitbit password and it still didn't give me an opportunity to merge my Fitbit account with the Google account as was like supposed to be the thing that everybody's supposed to do these days since Google finally merged accounts or something?

Overall It's an extraordinarily dissatisfying situation.

Best Answer