Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MobileRun missing data after pausing - Android 2.43+

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update: 9/26/17

Hello, everyone! I wanted to make it known that I haven't forgotten about this issue with MobileRun. Our team is aware of this ongoing problem, however, I don't have a timeline for when there will be a fix available. I understand many of you are frustrated with this feature, and I hope to give you all more information soon. Thanks for your continued patience! 

Just to be clear, this thread is for the MobileRun issue for when you initiate a Run/Walk, if you 'Pause' your activity and then 'Resume' after you finish, you will not see your map or some of your exercise data. Alternatively, this does not happen if you 'Pause' and 'Finish' your Run/Walk right away. 

Fitbit Update: 7/20/17

Thanks everyone for providing the information requested about this MobileRun issue. It appears since the Android app version 2.43, users who initiate a MobileRun on their devices and later pause it at some point will not have all the data saved when syncing afterward. This data can include the map and distance data. 

I really appreciate your cooperation and patience while our team works towards a resolution. I know many of you have been active on this thread and I want to make sure you know all your input has been very helpful in determining the factors. I will continue to update this thread when there is more information available. Thanks again for your help! 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
876 REPLIES 876
But you don't need to use your tracker.
Just take your phone out.
Having said that i do still always wear my tracker.
It's as if the tracker data is overiding the GPS map data.
Tomorrow I'll leave tracker at home an see if the map saves.
That's an interesting test i think?

Sent by LeSLeY
UK. User since Feb 2015. Retired charge HR. Current charge 2
Best Answer
0 Votes

@PiLesley that is not necessarily  so, with the Charge2 and Blaze your not stuck, it is easier to use the connected GPS from the tracker than it is to use the app to get a map. With the Surge it is possible to use the built in GPS and no phone is required to display a map. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

to PiLesley  I have tried taking just my phone and tracking a walk and not having the fitbit on.  About 25% of the time, my MAPPED walk is NOT saved.  This problem appears to me to be completely independent from the tracker.  This phone mapping works, but it doesn't SAVE the data (the map) so if you don't wear your tracker, ALL DATA is lost and you have to make a manual entry and guess.  But either way, you have no map.  Remember, this doesn't happen EVERY time.  It's about every other day for me.  Or, if I do three walks, one of them doesn't save and the other two do.  It would be nice if Fitbit would respond and just let us know an ETA on fixing it...as the map is incredibly important to most of us. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Well tested!
I was going to go with phone and no tracker tomorrow.
Looks like you've proved it's got nothing at all to do with tracker and everything to do with phone.
Thanks for testing!

Sent by LeSLeY
Best Answer
Yes we are stuck. The android phones using fitbit app and phone GPS are not mapping walks, runs.
That's the point of all of this conversation.
We cannot save maps. They work to the point of finish. You can see the map. Then they vanish

Sent by LeSLeY
Best Answer

Correct @SunsetRunner it is not related to the tracker, that is why this thread was combined with three different threads from three forums and moved to the Android App forum. 

My question  was your steps calculated by Fitbit when you where not using the tracker? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@PiLesley, it is apparently not only the phone, but which type of phone.  I have an HTC One M9, with Fitbit app version 2.44.1, and mine has never lost a map.  I use the Charge 2 Connected GPS and it has never failed to create the map, and save it when the tracker is synced to the app.  I recently did a walk using the app track function, and it also created and saved the map.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Have always worn tracker. Will have to see what gets saved in the absence of a tracker. Will try tomorrow. It's 7pm in the UK. Too late. Maybe a US user could test that too?

Sent by LeSLeY
Best Answer
0 Votes
Interesting.
I have charge 2 firmware 22.22.48.14 and nexus 6 app 2.44.1

Sent by LeSLeY
Best Answer
0 Votes

Scenario  1.)   you go for a walk wearing your fit bit..   press the button till you see walk,  hold the button till the walk timer starts..   open the app on your phone (GPS enabled)  go to the weekly exercise option and select the icon "track my walk"  make sure you are set to walk not run..    

Do your walk..

at the end press the Finish option on your phone,   look at your stats and map off your route admire your efforts you have a maximum of 2 minutes to admire them..

Press stop on your fitbit ......    it will now sync with the (recently updated) app on your phone with slightly different , less accurate information.  over riding the maps etc you admired so recently with the steps generated (not GPS) data and deleting your route maps and slightly "corrupting" your stats.

Scenario 2.)

Start your fitbit tracker as above . make sure your phone GPS is on and "location" on in settings. DO NOT select track my walk from within the faulty app..

End of walk "stop" your fit bit and let it sync to your phone app,  not as accurate as using the GPS from within the app but works every time for me until proper app fix available.

I believe this applies to all fitbits.

My wives phone is not supported so no mapping/tracking.   Her tablet however tracks her walk until she is out of range of the house about 100 yards (bluetooth range)

Hope this helps.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Altrick nice post, but you don't mention what tracker you own, and this does matter as for the different ways that a map can be recorded. 

Also if using the app to track, you do not want to start the tracking process on the tracker. You simply want to wear the tracker.

In scenario number 1 you should have 2 events recorded for the single walk. 

No this does not apply to all Fitbits, I can use my Surge without carrying the phone and still get a map. With the Blaze and the Charge 2 I use the connected GPS and get the map of my walk. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yep. You're right.
'Make do' using a sticking plaster to cobble together our walks until Fitbit (who must have a just a few £££/$$$ to throw at this) come up with a much awaited fix

Sent by LeSLeY
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rich_Laue..Yes, I do carry my phone and use Connected GPS...Hopefully, since everything worked well this morning, that'll be the end of it!!

I appreciate the help and guidance and the words of encouragement from this forum, and will continue my Fitbit journey...Yes, losing my mapped walks is an annoyance...but I AM a patient person..I kinda like the results and can only hope I will continue to "SEE" them...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fit bit Charge2,    I was forgetting some have built in GPS. However it seems fairly certain this issue is related to the application which i assume was updated on the 9th march applicable to all devices it seems from the number of responses that a broad range are effected. my previous post is not offering a fix , only a temporary solution. And possibly clarification to some who may like me be wondering what they are doing different/wrong since 9th March. 

I thought my post made it clear NOT to use the tracking process on the fitbit if using the in app tracking . Or to be precise the opposite applies due to the situation with the app.    As you say you would have 2 x recordings of the walk ON THE EARLIER VERSION OF THE APP. However if you do this now when the fitbit sync's next it wipes out one of the recordings (the phone GPS one ) and saves the tracker generated version , ( I have tried this several times .  having to delete the junk data and re-input manual info.)less accurate on distance ( loses about 1 mile in 10)   This can probably be compensated for by changing the personal stride variable..  No mapping if done this way which is why i suggest doing it as suggested in scenario 2.   in previous post.

It seems necessary to remember that the tracker and GPS device (phone) and the app are 3 different devices they to some extent work independent of each other but when sync'd together the last device to sync. (the fitbit) takes precedence and overrides stored data which falls within the same date/time line.

Of course anyone reading this who does'nt understand what we are talking about probably has not got a problem for what ever reason. In this case good luck to you and please ignore my ramblings

Best Answer
You carry on rambling 🙂
I think the good thing is we've just about tested this to exhaustion and at least know none of this is our fault.
We've satisfied ourselves we've got everything set up. Done everything right. In that regard we've done good!
We know it's out of our hands.
I think fitbit are clear in what we want and we want it now!

Sent by LeSLeY
Best Answer
0 Votes

I've now resorted to using the MapMyRun app, less hassle and works every time!

Best Answer
That's disgraceful though isn't it? Shame on fitbit.
That's how you lose reputation and sales.....

Sent by LeSLeY
Best Answer

@HayleyCh  That's what I did too.  Fitbit should jump on this before too many people find other solutions.

Best Answer
0 Votes
We're going back to 9th march.
The date is now.....19th.
That doesn't look like fitbit 'getting on to it' to me

Sent by LeSLeY
Best Answer
0 Votes

So, this afternoon I decided to take a short walk down the road the county line and back, just to test mapping the walk. It is exactly 1 mile to the county line, so I knew what it should look like on the Fitbit map.  I used the exercise mode on the Charge 2 for Walk with Connected GPS.  It recorded the walk, and mapped it very accurately - the final recorded map showed it at 2.03 miles, and the .03 mile is the distance down the driveway and back.  After I synced the tracker, it saved the exercise & map to the Fitbit server, and it displays on both the Android app and the Fitbit.com Dashboard. 

Walk-1.jpg

Walk-2.jpg

Walk-3.jpg

Best Answer
0 Votes