Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notifications: not working on Silent mode (RESOLVED - 5/3)

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update: 5/3/18

Hi, everyone! 

We released to 100% the next Fitbit for Android app update: 2.71. In this app version, we released the fix for this notifications issue. Please update your app!

You will see a new option in your Notifications Settings that reads "Vibration Settings," which is where you can toggle on/off if you want to receive notifications when your phone is set to Do not disturb or Silent mode. 

I'm glad we could get this resolved for you all! Your patience was really appreciated. 

Fitbit Update: 4/23

Hi all - Our team is currently working on a fix so you all can get your notifications back whenever in "Silent mode." 

I don't know when the fix will be released but I will let you know once I have that information available. Thanks for your patience! Sounds like many of you are using the workaround to just put your phone on vibrate to the lowest setting. I appreciate everyone helping each other out and making suggestions for the time being. 

Updated: 4/20

Hi, everyone!

Our team is aware of this Notification issue when you put your Android device in Silent mode. This began with the last app version 2.70. 

largeandroid.jpeg

If your phone is on Silent mode, notifications will not reach your watch/tracker. If you have silent mode off, your notifications will be received. 

I will provide updates on this problem here. Please stay tuned! Thanks so much for your patience. 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
230 REPLIES 230

No update for me either. I really think the Versa looks like a great watch but this whole mess has me really concerned about Fitbit and whether to even buy a Versa. The problem itself isn't the issue, it's the slow walked "fix" that actually hasn't happened but has been marked as solved by the Admin.  

When I buy a Versa I want the confidence to know it will work and if it doesn't, that Fitbit will make it a priority to fix it. I don't see that here. And their earnings report yesterday is troubling.  I don't want to end up with a brand new "Pebble" and have no company there to support it in a year  

Best Answer

HI there everyone, thank you for getting back and reporting the update is not available yet in the Google Play Store.

As I mentioned earlier, the update will become gradually available to all our users. So if the update is not available to install yet, have a little more patience. I know this is an important feature of the Fitbit app to all of you and soon you will receive the new version of the Fitbit app.

See you later.

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer
It does not take this long to launch an updated version of any app. My guess is there is not one. 

Sent from Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
Best Answer

"As I mentioned earlier, the update will become gradually available to all our users." 

Sorry Roberto, but this response is nonsense. Why would an update become "gradually" available? What scenario would call for some users to get the update and others not to?

I'm suspicious of this kind of non specific language because it's the kind of BS response I call my developers out on all the time. People here want a specific timeline, and asking them to be patient is a poor customer service approach to take.

Best Answer

He said yesterday that "yesterday" they were starting to do the update. So that means it's gradually been 48 hours and counting. Do you guys offer 1 week contracts for app designers? Asking for a lot of friends

Best Answer

I still have not seen a direct response to my question:

This is a very odd way of addressing the issues raised in this thread: "This new version includes the fix for this error appearing in the notification section of the Fitbit app."  I have not yet received the update, but am wondering whether the underlying issue of notifications not working on silent mode has been fixed or if just the error message in the app has been removed?

Best Answer

They heard us 3 weeks ago. Some are saying there is an update. Some are not. Uuuugh.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I finally saw the update and did a test. It actually worked. OMG lol

Best Answer
0 Votes

Do Not Disturb.png

Well, how about that.

Just received the update and there's this new option there. Working great so far. Thanks to the Fitbit team for making this right. Google Pixel XL, 8.1.0.

Not sure if this'll work for anyone else, but I uninstalled my 2.70 app, reinstalled it, and then I had the 2.71 update waiting for me in the Play Store.

Best Answer
I need it.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Update working on Samsung galaxy S8. Just updated and tested. Working fine!

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
Best Answer

I got the update  I am getting email notifications again even though I have them set to silent, so that is a plus. However, the "fix" is an absolute regression for me. I have my phone go into do not disturb mode at night. I have exceptions for favorite contacts  What I do Not want is my Fitbit buzzing all night long when emails come in. Can someone at Fitbit please explain the rationale for breaking a feature and then implementing a fix that creates a new problem? What was wrong with the way the app worked before the 2.70 "update?"

EDIT: After some experimenting it seems that the issue is my confusion around the new always vibrate toggle  If I toggle it to on, then I get email notifications even when phone is set to DND  If it is off I get email notifications even though I have them set to silent. I interpreted the toggle to be required to be on in this scenario, which seems to not be the case  My Fitbit now appears to be working as it was before. I just wish there was a more clear explanation as to how the toggle works. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@btschuster wrote:

I got the update  I am getting email notifications again even though I have them set to silent, so that is a plus. However, the "fix" is an absolute regression for me. I have my phone go into do not disturb mode at night. I have exceptions for favorite contacts  What I do Not want is my Fitbit buzzing all night long when emails come in. Can someone at Fitbit please explain the rationale for breaking a feature and then implementing a fix that creates a new problem? What was wrong with the way the app worked before the 2.70 "update?"

The problem before the 2.70 update was people would put their phone in silent mode. Which for their phone meant DND mode. And they wouldn't get updates to their fitbit. In your situation, you are saying now even with the phone in DND mode it will still notify you of emails? Or you think it will operate that way?
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm jealous you have emails and other app notifications on your menu though. lol You must have a high end FitBit

@threshfire wrote:

Do Not Disturb.png

Well, how about that.

Just received the update and there's this new option there. Working great so far. Thanks to the Fitbit team for making this right. Google Pixel XL, 8.1.0.

Not sure if this'll work for anyone else, but I uninstalled my 2.70 app, reinstalled it, and then I had the 2.71 update waiting for me in the Play Store.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Look at the notification settings in the Fitbit App.  You can choose to get notification or jot during DND Screenshot_20180503-182219_Fitbit.jpg

Best Answer

Just ran the update and it's now working, thank goodness!!👍

Best Answer

Got the update. Notifications are working again. Glad It's fixed, but that took way longer than it should have. Glad it's finally fixed though. 

Best Answer

Its working again. 

Best Answer

The new update works well, thanks for implementing the toggle!

However, you should think about how you roll out your updates. Maybe uploading your released apk to apkmirror or so might reduce the bad feedback for those who cannot wait until Google decided to roll it out to complaining users 😉

Best Answer

I can confirm it works again with the app new version if you enable the new option "Always vibrate".

Best Answer