Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Persistent "Connected GPS" message on Android.

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I went for my first bike ride with the Versa watch. It automatically connected with my Samsung Galaxy for GPS, which was great! But now that I am finished my ride, my phone notifications still show under Fitbit "Connected GPS is running." I ended my exercise on the Versa and have my workout summary, but I can't figure out how to stop the connected GPS feature.

Moderator Edit: Clarified Subject.

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Fitbit Update: 3/12/19

Hi everybody!

It appears with the most recent Fitbit app - version 2.89, this issue has now been resolved. If you haven't already, please make sure you update the app. With this app version, you should no longer see the "Connected GPS is running" message in the Android status bar. 

If you're still experiencing this on version 2.89 please let me know. 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
42 REPLIES 42

Hello @Laura10, I hope you're doing well, it's nice to see you around. Smiley Happy

I appreciate you have brought this to my attention. You mentioned you're currently using a Samsung Galaxy, which model are you using? Which Android version is your phone running? Which app version is currently installed in your phone (go to Account > Help to get it)? At this moment I would like to ask you for a screenshot of the message you're seeing so I can check this further. That will be very helpful. 

Thanks for your patience and understanding, I'll be waiting for your reply. 

Marco G. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution! Robot wink

Best Answer

@MarcoGFitbit

Galaxy S7

Android 7.0

Fitbit Version 2.71

I do not have a screen shot. I somehow got it to disconnect, but I don't remember all the manual steps I did. I think I turned off the connected GPS option, synced my watch, may have restarted my phone, then turned the GPS option back on for next time. If it happens again, I will take a screenshot for you.

Update:

I just tested the connected GPS with a walk. This time it did disconnect automatically when I finished my walk. I'll see what happens next time I bike ride.

Best Answer

Hello @Laura10, I hope you're doing well, I appreciate you have taken the time to reply with the information requested. Smiley Happy

Thank you for keeping me updated, I'm very glad to hear the connected GPS disconnected automatically after your walk, I would like to ask you to keep monitoring your tracker and phone and let me know if you come across this issue again. 

Additionally, if there's anything else I can do for you, please feel free to reply as well. 

Best Answer

Hi there,

@MarcoGFitbit

Just wanted to drop a note that I faced a similar issue. I went for my first run with the Versa run. After I ended the run (via the watch), the notification didn't go away on my phone.

I'm on:

Galaxy S7 Edge

Android 7.0

Fitbit 2.72.1

I've also attached a screenshot for a better idea:

Fitbit Connected GPS Notification

I got rid of the notification by restarting my phone.

Hope it helps! Smiley Very Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @xevenheaven, thanks for joining the conversation, it's a pleasure for me to welcome you to the Fitbit Community. Smiley Happy

I appreciate you have shared your experience and the troubleshooting steps you've tried in order to remove this notification from your phone, I'm sure it will be very helpful for many members of the Community facing the same situation. 

In case you have some spare time, I would like to invite you to visit our Discussions board where you will find great tips and encouragement from other members and if there's anything else I can do for you, please keep me posted!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm having the same issue with Google Pixel running the latest OS/app/watch firmware.  It won't disconnect after I manually stop the exercise.  And GPS is still running, sucking the life out of my battery.  Restarting the phone every time it won't disconnect seems like a Microsoft-kind of solution (a non-starter).  And it happens every time i use a "connected GPS" exercise.  Is Fitbit going to fix this in an upcoming firmware revision?

Best Answer

I'm having this same issue. After runs, the notification for "connected gps is running"will not go away. Using a Charge 3, on a Google Pixel.

Best Answer

Same issue here, seems this has been going on for some time with no resolution. I do not want to reboot my phone every time I exercise. Any movement on this?

Best Answer

I just had this happen to me on my Versa (only had it for about 48 hours at this point) except that I didn't actually start an exercise of any sort. I was just sitting at my desk working, needed to grab my phone for a 2FA login and noticed that there was a FitBit notification saying "Connected GPS is running".

Eventually it went away on it's own, but I have no idea why; I was busy googling to see why it was telling me I was connected to GPS while I was sitting at my desk so I didn't actually do anything to try and stop it, other than open the App on my phone to see if it thought it was doing something (it did not).

The versa didn't think it was doing anything at the time and there are also no activities logged other than the automatic ones it does on it's own (I long ago gave up on the App or the tracker for doing explicit logging of activities) so I don't know what's going on or why it even thought it should be doing something.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi... no idea if this will be seen or not but I'm having same issue ... I have a fitbit charge 3 and my phone is samsung s8! My phone battery is just dropping like crazy! Ive done all i can think of, have read about but its telling me gps is running! Mind you im also having issues getting my fitbit app to sync - didnt have any issues at all with my alta hr - helpppp please???

Best Answer

I have had same issue .Had charge 3 about 4 weeks now . issue just started a few days ago . Disconnect blue tooth. Turn location off. Switch phone off. All combinations of each. Drains battery on Google pixel. Driving me mad as have to turn location back on to sync charge. In the first few weeks I could do a 3-4 hour bike ride with location on and phone battery ok. Now in last few days only a 2hr bike ride and pixel battery almost used up (fully charged at start). Really not sure how to solve issue. Any help appreciated. Thanks

Best Answer

Hi... I'd really suggest you contact fitbit on line chat... they spent ages with me even though the result it mines being replaced 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Did you see my reply???

Best Answer

Thanks I did see reply   it seems to be a sporadic problem   but most of the time it is ok  I will get in touch with fitbit but just need the time to do it   many thanks 

Best Answer
0 Votes

you guys are the lucky ones. 90% of us can't connect

Best Answer
0 Votes

Can't connect to who? The fitbit or help desk? I'll put link I used. They made me go throughbloads of stuff. Mine was faulty so they sent a replacement 🙂 I now love my charge 3 🙂 dont give up guys xx

Https://help.fitbit.com

Best Answer
0 Votes

Last night I noticed on my mobile, rather than the Fitbit notification telling me when it was last synced like it usually does, it was constantly refreshing with the status "Connected GPS is running". 

It's draining my phone battery and has really caused my phone to lag. 

I've tried bluetooth on/off, phone restart, manual sync via the app but nothing is working. 

Any help to resolve will be appreciated, I don't want to have to leave my phone on charge all day as it will kill the battery eventually!

Moderator edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer

Welcome to the Forums @EmmaWFC.

Thanks for bringing this up and sharing all of the steps that you have tried to get it to work.

Let's try turning the notification off. You can do so by tapping and holding on the notification. A option to turn the notification off should show up. In addition to that, you can be sure that there is not GPS data being used by turning off the location services on the phone.

As for why it is showing like that, are you selecting any activities to be tracked on your phone or your Fitbit?

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Lanuza, 

I did that, but it was having issues syncing once I'd done that, so I turned it back on. 

I'm not tracking any activity, but a few times in the last week my fitbit has vibrated and asked me if I'd like to track my run..but I'm only walking to and from work (yes I must be going pretty quick because it's freezing!) so I found it quite funny at first, but it's started this notification thing which is very annoying.

It stopped yesterday, but once again walking to work this morning it asked me to track my run, which i ignored, and sure enough when I checked my phone when I got to work, the notification was back!

Best Answer