Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scammers using Fitbit Profiles

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit needs to do something to get rid of all the scammers plagueing the app. Their profiles are pretty easy to recognize. 

1 recently joined, usually with no personal information or posts

2 they join lots of groups

3 they send out dozens of friend requests to women

Seems to me it would be fairly easy for Fitbit to develop a routine to recognize these creeps and block them. It’s really ruining the community for a lot of women. 

Moderator edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
81 REPLIES 81

I was just reading the postings.  She just started it this evening and already 40 members.  Yippee.  Go under "Fitbit Developers" group.  Her name is Sharon L.    Ask her for an invite to the group.  Right now Fitbit is not letting her make it a public group - I just read.  So for now it is just her friends and now that she has posted under Fitbit Developers - she will send an invite to the Scammers and Creeps group.    Sorry about being so excited about it - I was a bit premature in announcing it as a public group

Best Answer
No problem, I will keep an eye out for the group or an invite. Thanks for letting me know

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Best Answer

Hi Fitbit Moderator:

I would like to request on my behalf and that of many, many others that you remove the opportunity for individuals that you have offered a free account when they do not even have a Fitbit device.  Over the last several months we have been inundated with hundreds of creepy people (male and female) and the sexual and provocative pictures and postings are disgusting.  It is making the fitbit community a place that many of us are considering turning away from.

We have tried blocking these people - but they use another persons group of photographs or cartoon characters and have numerous accounts and then they friend each of their accounts - and if they have friends doing the same thing - then all their alter egos are friending all the other alter egos.  Are you following me here?  These people are harassing those of us who are here to work out and get fit.  They are here to get some "action" - either from adults or possibly even trying to get someone who has young children - because I have seen the profiles of very, very old white headed, very wrinkled men who are in the "wanting to conceive" group.  Now that is just sick.

I am putting this here because when we block them - they really are not blocked.  They get a friend...then go down that new persons list of friends and send friend requests and then they are in groups and challenges - even though many of them do not even have one single step logged.

Please PLEASE stop this!!!!!!!!!!!  You are allowing stalkers, creepy people, etc to harass your long term fan base and loyal customers.  Should you decide to continue to allow this behavior on the creepy people part - you WILL not only lose people on your website and app - but also as a customer.  Many are already shopping for a different activity device to put on their Christmas list!!!  Just sayin'

Help us out please - get rid of these people who could not give two hoots about exercise - it is all about trying to scam people out of money or hooking up with someone.  Some have posted pictures (from google images) of kids with cancer - claiming it is their kid with cancer and the kid is going to be kicked out of the hospital because they are out of money, can't pay the medical bills.  And there are more sick stories.  There are females who are half naked and making suggestions about having sex (one even said there is only one word that begins with F that she likes better than food; and another said fun).  Seriously?  That is offensive

You can stop this - if you choose to.  

Best Answer

Hey everyone, just an update, you can now report inappropriate profiles. For instructions, please see this article

Actively managing your weight? Find accountability buddies on the Manage Weight board

Best Answer
Thank you, Moderator! I will spread the word in the forums where I participate!

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

Where is the group? I get at least 5 a day! They ask for money and profess their love! Ugh!! 

Best Answer

Thank you. I friend requested Sharon. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ditto. While it may be a step in the right direction to be able to report a profile, fitbit needs to take action to get the fake creepy profiles out of there and make it difficult to create new ones. I spend more time reporting and blocking profiles than I spend on any productive interaction. It’s seriously alienating me from the community and the device. Fitbit, you are not doing enough. 

Best Answer

Hello everyone.

Thank for your feedback. Please do know that we truly appreciate it and we are continually looking for ways to improve the overall Fitbit experience.

As mentioned before, this whole situation is being looked into and we'll let everyone know as soon as we have any updates.

Feel free to reach out with any further questions.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer

Hi LanuzaFitbit!

Thank you for posting and letting us know if Fitbit is doing something to rid your website of stalkers and scammers.  I just saw that I can report a person who sent a friend request on the app.  I will be reporting this guy.  He is the same guy who has sent a friend request 3 different times with 3 different names.  He has no badges, no trophies, etc.  He is also old with white hair and white beard but he is a member of the group trying to conceive (what a joke).  That just tells me he is a perv.  His profile states he has an average step count of 6K now - before it was zero.  I guess he either borrowed one for part of a day or him and his creepy buddies just share the same fitbit with the step count everyday.  

I wish there was a way you could prevent anyone from becoming a member unless they have a fitbit that they own and that same fitbit cannot be associated with another account either.  Please present this idea to those that make decisions.  I have had to remove myself from every single group I was in for motivational and informational purposes and I also had to remove "friends" because they had many people with no steps, no fitbit listed and had multiple accounts with different names.  They did not remove these people, and I did not want them to have access to my account - so had to get rid of friends.  This is really sad.

I really hope that when we report a profile to you all - they will actually be removed.

Best Answer

I agree.  I have a few friends, but hundreds of reported and blocked profiles.  I’m not convinced Fitbit is really getting rid of anyone.  The problem isn’t really being adequately dealt with. 

Best Answer

Where is that group?  I can't find it!  I have so many that are scammers.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone. Old topic, I know. I just wanted to say that this isn't only affecting women. I get a lot of "beautiful women" friend requests. If I do add them, they're very flirty then act like they really like me way too fast (you're so sweet, honest, gentleman, etc) without me even saying much.

I get these kinds of requests often, including today. And when you mention any suspicion, they unfriend you.

Best Answer

My requests slowed down when I put my cat as my picture. I guess scammers don't know if I'm a man or a woman ... Lol

At least we are not asking. Thank you for posting! 

Best Answer

I have 5 suspects bogus acct where many scammers come from maybe monitor their conversations for proof,just saying,contact me if your interested in pinpointing their Hornets nest...... Thanks

Thomas F and Tom F,versa and blaze

Best Answer
0 Votes

I copy and paste YouTube music links in my challenges,stepper love it

Best Answer
0 Votes

Greetings,scammers are everywhere on this app,they tend to use symbols at the beginning of their name to id each other,I can find one on any friends list,just saying:anchor:,Savvy💀🔪💣:trident_emblem:

Best Answer
0 Votes

The blocking feature is a joke,it only blinds yourself from seeing the bad guys activities,but does prevent them from accessing you post,when I log out then log back in all of the blocked profiles become unblocked,**ahem**bit glitch,I reported this to tech dept along with the other **ahem**bit glitches

Best Answer
0 Votes

We need a new moderator

Best Answer

This post is a year old and not much has been done,just saying

Best Answer