Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Step Count being re-averaged and total steps reduced after exercise

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Has anyone else noticed that your 15 minute step totals after longer sessions are being re-averaged after a few hours to show an "average for the entire session".  This also ends up reducing the total number of steps for the session.  I'm on a live chat now to see if the firmware update changed this.  It began in the last several weeks. 

Moderator Edit: Updated Subject For Clarity.

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

Hi there @DavidWright, nice to see you have joined the Fitbit Community! My apologies for the late response and thank you for bringing this issue you are experiencing to my attention. 

Would you mind to share a few more details of this issue. Are you doing any exercise in particular beyond a brisk walk? Is this related to any GPS feature that your tracker or app have? Can you share some screenshots of what you are seeing to have a closer look of this issue? For more details about uploading images to our Community, please refer to this post.

I'll be looking forward to your response. See you soon!

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you. Sorry for my late reply!

The activity seems to always be what FitBit categorizes as "high intensity"
based on steps per 15 minutes. For me, this includes slow jogs at 12
minute pace, up to tempo runs of 9 minute pace. It doesn't appear to
affect my normal activity.

My android device doesn't allow me to do screenshots of app-linked
pages--or at least, I can't figure that out!

No loss of GPS signal is apparent.

The dashboard of steps clearly shows variable step counts for each 15
minute increment of the high intensity activity immediately after the
activity, and within hours revises it to reflect that every 15 minute
segment *has the identical step count*, AND has reduced the total number of
step count/distance covered by anywhere from 1,000-3,000 steps, depending
on the duration of the activity.

I appreciate your efforts--please keep me in the loop. Again, it has only
started doing it this year.

David

Moderator Edit: Format

Best Answer
0 Votes

yesterday.JPG

Best Answer
0 Votes

I was able to go into my computer dashboard and download examples.  The April shot is a reaveraged example.  The January shot is what I was accustomed to seeing.january.JPG

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @DavidWright, thank you for all the details you have provided me and for the screenshots you shared. Please accept my apologies for the late response and I saw you were in contact with our Customer Support team. Have you received any update regarding this previous interaction?

By reviewing your screenshots, I can see your concern. Since all your steps have been even in the step graph of your Dashboard. I'm wondering if you have manually logged any activity? I am assuming there is an activity in the graph corresponding to the graph dated on April 8th, different from the graph of January 6th.

Note that when you manually log an activity or any activity entry, its step and calorie data override the data automatically detected by your tracker during the same time period. This ensures that your steps are not counted twice as long as the logged activity has the correct start time and duration. By looking the screenshot of April 8th, I can tell there is an activity during the time the green bars start rising.

Please confirm this and let me know how it goes.

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer
0 Votes