Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Syncing in background with automate (llamalab)

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi all,

In order to save battery, and don't have to think about synchronize myself, I'm looking for an automatize sync with fitbit app.

My need is syncing in background with the app at an hour, I choose, and kill app after job is done.

I tried "fitbit launcher", but it launch the fitbit app and I want background.

So I use Automate (from llamalab) and try to start the service "com.fitbit.synclair.forgroundService", but it can't start it, because it's definited "in private" in app.

Do you have any idea for me ?

Thanks in advance for any help !

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@SunsetRunner, for me this topic was at it better place in "third party integration" than "Android app", but ok.

Thanks all for your replys.

It means, I can't force sync without launching fitbit app.

And I can't launch fitbit app in background.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
7 REPLIES 7

Hello @b5267,

Welcome to the community!

Are you trying to save the Fitbit's battery or the phone's battery?  I think you're better off simply turn off "All Day Sync" than trying to figure out a clever way to prevent syncing or force syncing on your schedule.  That said, I have a couple of observations.

First, older bluetooth devices did consume a fair bit of power, so leaving these devices connected did consume enough power so that you may notice a drop in battery life.  Fitbits use bluetooth LE (for Low Emission, part of 4.0 definition) and it takes very little power.  In fact, a Fitbit Zip can last 4-6 months in a single 2025 coin-sized battery (160-165 mAh).  If a Zip had a Galaxy S4 sized battery (2600 mAh), it could last over 5 years in one charge.

Second, unless you're explicitly preventing the Fitbit App from running in the background altogether (which sounds like you're not), then the Fitbit App will eventually run in the background.  While I don't have an Android phone, I'd be willing to bet that if you rebooted your phone and never launched the Fitbit App, it will eventually sync.  This is intentional; some applications install in such a way that they're always, to some degree, running in the background.  A good example of this is Skype, if you just rebooted your phone, should you wait until you run the Skype App before you're alerted that you have a call?

Is there something in particular that leads you to believe that regular syncing is affecting your battery life?

Frank | Washington, USA

Fitbit One, Ionic, Charge 2, Alta HR, Blaze, Surge, Flex, Flex 2, Zip, Ultra, Flyer, Aria, Aria 2 - Windows 10, Windows Phone

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Hi @PureEvil,

Thanks for your reply and your welcome !

To explain a little, I want to save the battery of my Charge HR.

Actually it takes 5 days until turning off, and I want to charge it always the same day (so, I need 7 days battery).

If I turn "All Day Sync" off, it can do it, but I have to think about synchronize it myself, by opening fitbit app every day.

For me "All Day Sync" option is called "Continous Sync", I guess.

So what I want to do :

With "All day sync" option turned off.

-> At 6 o'clock am (for example)

-> turn bluetooth and wifi on

-> Start fitbit app in background to sync (or service of fitbit app)

-> Wait until it finishes

-> turn BT and wifi off

My problem is starting the sync in background, I have to be sure that it will sync when I tell it to sync.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @b5267,

If you want to see if syncing less frequently will have enough of an impact you can log out of the Fitbit App and log back in when you want it to sync and log out immediately.  Yes, this can be a bit inconvenient, but it's only while you're testing the battery's longevity.  I speculate that you won't see a significant change, but I've been proven wrong before.

You may try restarting your tracker.  You may be able to squeeze out a little more juice that way as well.  Good luck.

Frank | Washington, USA

Fitbit One, Ionic, Charge 2, Alta HR, Blaze, Surge, Flex, Flex 2, Zip, Ultra, Flyer, Aria, Aria 2 - Windows 10, Windows Phone

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @PureEvil,

Thanks for your reply.

I guess this topic is at a wrong place and should be into dev forum ^^

Anyway, thanks for helping me !

Best Answer
0 Votes

[...]

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have merged your new post in with your original post as it has already been answered by @PureEvil. I am sorry to say you cannot accomplish what you are trying to do. Your options are either to turn auto sync off and only sync when you need to or leave it on and charge the tracker more often. The Charge HR is designed to last up to 5 days on a single charge, not 7.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner, for me this topic was at it better place in "third party integration" than "Android app", but ok.

Thanks all for your replys.

It means, I can't force sync without launching fitbit app.

And I can't launch fitbit app in background.

Best Answer
0 Votes