Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text Msgs only show Sender's name (RESOLVED)

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update: 9/12/19

Hey all!

We're still investigating and working on a fix for this text notification issue on Android. 

In addition to not receiving the correct text notification, we're now aware this is also affecting call notifications. Some of you may only see a previous caller's name and not the person actually calling you at the time you're receiving the notification. 

When we have more information for a fix, we'll announce it here in this thread. Please stay tuned for updates! 

Fitbit Update: 7/30/19

Hi everyone.

We're aware of these issues with receiving only the sender's name from your text messages. This appears to have started with the Fitbit for Android app version 3.0. If you're experiencing this yourself with your Fitbit device, please know we're working on a fix. 

While our team investigates this further, we just ask for your patience. Once I have information for a fix, I'll make an announcement here on this thread. 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
795 REPLIES 795

I just got the 3.7 update and text notifications still aren't working.

This problem started in July for me.

July

August

September

October

Entering month four of an advertised feature of the product not working.

Best Answer
Sony very famously had to reimburse any ps3 owner who purchased a ps3 advertised as capable of running Linux when they released an update that removed it. Curious what Fitbit will do since we are getting close to similar territory. Four months with a major feature having gone missing isn't good...
Best Answer

Updated app today....works again. 

Best Answer

Updated app today (3.7 android 9)....no works !! :-(.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Still not working for me either. Restarted my phone, restarted my Charge 2. Now I'm not receiving any text message notifications at all. Not even just the name.

Do they even test this stuff?

Best Answer

I had 5 calls yesterday over the course of 30 minutes, all of them from my fiancee. Surely, this must be an emergency! I need to drop what I'm doing and go grab my phone!

Except, no...only the first one was from my fiancee. The rest were just Fitbit being a piece of garbage and displaying the wrong information for 4 different calls.

Great work, team. Things have gotten worse over the course of the last few months, and all I hear is "Yeah, we know". I know I'm not alone when I say I've bought my last Fitbit product.

Best Answer

Mine and my hubbys alta hr have been ahowing same caller for a month now.  Such garbage!

Moderator edit: Format

Best Answer
Yes, I received such a message from one of their moderators too. I replied
that they cannot expect their customers not to react.
Best Answer

Wow! This is still going on? It's been months, and several versions, and still no fix? If I did that kind of work with my software, I'd be out of a job!

Best Answer

For the hell of it, decided to try the latest update. How much worse could it get, right? Well, now not only does it show the wrong caller, but doesn't even alert me that there's a text at all! That's neat!

Best Answer

yeah, I've answered what I assumed were urgent calls that turned out to be robocalls a few times because of this. Either that or they were actual important calls that I would have rather not taken at the time. Taking a dump and answering a call about a job interview. That kind of stuff.

Also, the update didnt do anything about the no text notification thing.

Best Answer

We should make these posts on Twitter too.  Naturally they will be met with the FitBit standard response of please send a private message to customer support which will be followed by the next standard response of "you are out of warranty" or "we are working on it".  But posting there will at least make the issue more visible to potential customers and investors.

Best Answer
I agree, only... I do not have a twitter account
Best Answer
0 Votes

Let's flood their notifications with negativity and maybe there will do something. I've posted on here and on Google play but maybe the attention of everyone seeing negativity on Twitter, they will do something about it. The more we complain, the more attention we will get!!

Best Answer

Screenshot_20191003-195745.png

 Well here goes nothing. Hopefully they will listen 🙏🤞

Best Answer
0 Votes
@ kris10moorhouse they won't. I've been down every road there is. All lead to a Different brand of smart watch.
Best Answer

As I enter the 4th month of my Fitbit not showing notifications despite supposed updates, my question is this: is Fitbit incompetent (has no clue how to fix) or indifferent (could give a crap about fixing)?

Best Answer

I started to post almost exactly this (incompetent, or indifferent)? I then realized the answer is both.

No company should ever break a MAJOR feature of their product and release to the public.  It could happen on internal builds, but should be caught by SQA.  Clearly, their process must be "it builds, ship it". Even the simplest of test plans would have caught such an easy to notice, easy reproduce bug.  It's not like this is a 1 in 50,000 trials situation here.  It's every freaking text fails.

They also must not care, because when you can point to exactly when the feature broke, it should be easy to do a diff.  (Unless the incompetence truly spilleth over, and maybe there IS no source control and all of this is being released off some engineer's laptop!)  They've known about this issue and occasionally reply with some BS about how they know how frustrating this must be, blah blah blah.

Probably the best thing to do is as others have said, post negative reviews.  No one looks at the Play store before they purchase a product, but the Best Buy website might be a good place since users may go there to look what people say.  Amazon as well.

Fitbit - 30+ pages of complaints with about 20 users per page and let's say an average price per product of $150...so you're at about $90,000 of lost business so far.  And that's just of the users here, and assuming we are only buying for ourselves (not significant other, family, etc.).  Might have been worth it to take us seriously.

I bought a competitor's product last week instead of upgrading to the Charge 3 or Versa 2.  Time's up!

Best Answer

I think it started when the latest android update happened on my samsung s9

Best Answer
0 Votes

See if this will help you fix your issues:

First do a reset on your Fitbit. 

(Which is pressing and holding the left and lower right buttons till the screen shows the Fitbit symbol.  

(When the symbol disappears reset is done)

Have your user name  and password available. 

Next delete the Fitbit app from phone.

Then reinstall and when you have opened the app again tap your picture,  then go to where your device is listed, tap that and scroll to the notifications. 

(You have to choose the notifications you want)

My S8 chose the wrong app for texting and did not have calls highlighted. 

After doing this notifications should be working oroperly.

My Ionic and Samsung S8 working well NOW.

Best Answer