Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips for Syncing with your Android

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

There are multiple troubleshooting steps you can try. Make sure you check the required settings on your phone and try all the recommendations listed below before posting on the forums for further support. 

Requirements

• Your phone is running the latest version of Android OS. To check, tap Settings > About Phone or About Device > Android Version.
  • Your Fitbit device is up-to-date. For more information, see How do I update my Fitbit device?
  • The Fitbit app is up-to-date. For more information, see How do I use the Fitbit app?
  • Your phone is connected to cellular data or Wi-Fi.
  • The Fitbit app is allowed to run in the background on your phone. For more information, see What should I know about using the Fitbit app on my Android phone?
  • The Bluetooth setting on your phone is turned on. To check, tap Settings > Bluetooth.
  • You have location services turned to always on, and the Fitbit app has permission to access your location. For more information see, Why is the Fitbit app prompting me to turn on location services?
  • If you use more than one phone or tablet device to sync, make sure the other device isn't nearby. If the device is nearby, turn off Bluetooth on it.
  • Your phone isn't managing other Bluetooth connections. If you have multiple Bluetooth products like speakers or headsets paired to your phone along with your Fitbit device, you may have trouble using more than one at the same time. Turn off other Bluetooth connections when not in use.
  • Your phone doesn't have a syncing issue listed in What should I know about using the Fitbit app on my Android phone?
  • Your Fitbit device is charged.

Troubleshooting

1. Force quit the Fitbit app, then reopen it.
  2. On your phone, go to Settings > Bluetooth and turn Bluetooth off and back on.
  3. If your Fitbit device doesn't sync, restart it. For instructions see How do I restart my Fitbit device?
  4. Open the Fitbit app.
  5. If your Fitbit device doesn't sync, restart your Android phone.
  6. Open the Fitbit app.
  7. If your Fitbit device doesn't sync, uninstall and reinstall the Fitbit app.
  8. Open the Fitbit app. 
  9. If your device doesn't sync, log in to your Fitbit account on a different phone, tablet, or computer and try to sync. 
  10. If your Fitbit device still doesn’t sync, remove all other Fitbit devices from your account and from the list of connected Bluetooth devices on your phone and try to sync.
Best Answer
84 REPLIES 84

I'm just coming into find any extra help after troubleshooting my Charge 3 since it started having problems syncing in March.   I've done si much troubleshooting that my head hurts but have got it to the point where it will sync, as long as I take the Fitbit off my arm and lay it down so the green light isn't flashing; and of course, my phone is right there.  Unless I need to reboot my cell phone, it will sync like crazy, as long as it's not on my wrist.  Soooo, I sync after midnight, sync in the morning; otherwise, when I feel like syncing, I sync.  😩  Anyone else find a better fix for Fitbit's better idea to cull some of the customer Fitbit's that we bought on Ebay?  It so sad as I've been a Fitbit user since 2015, and this inbe worked fine until March, and the second new pebble we brought is doing the exact same thing on another totally new phone.  Already called support, and we're SOL.

Best Answer

I have followed all of the above recommended steps, but am unable to connect my sense. My phone's Bluetooth is able to recognize the Sense, but will not connect.

Best Answer

Same. I am beyond frustrated. Thinking of cutting my losses and finding another tracker. Fitbit is not performing. 

Best Answer

Okay, I've been through massive troubleshooting steps and my Fitbit has gotten sp much better.  One thing that has made a huge difference, after getting all the settings right and the steps done above, is take the Fitbit off my arm whenever I want it to sync it.  I have gone through several/multiple steps to make sure my Fitbit is getting full permissions to everything it needs, and it's getting to where it will sync on its own at times; otherwise, I'll take it off my arm to sync, like after midnight.  If it doesn't sync when it's off your arm, reboot your phone.  If it still don't, shut your Fitbit down by hooking it up to your charger (make sure the charger prongs are on the correct position with the smiley face or charging percentage showing). Then firmly hold down the Charge 3 button until the six slashes have completed a full line across the screen, unhook the charger, and then hook it back up; it should come back on with a smiley face.  You can then try to see if the syncing improves.  

Some helpful things you can do, taking in consideration or "possibly" doing it in an specific order might be beneficial if you're going to uninstall your Fitbit, and reinstall.  

1. Turn off Bluetooth, and let the Fitbit prompt to turn it back on.  I let the Fitbit do it so it turns it on and the phone gives it full permission at that time. 

2. Check that the battery usage is "Not Optimized" under the Settings>Apps> Fitbit per Fitbit's instructions in a Support article I saw. Sorry I don't have the link available as I'm in my Fitbit app as I'm posting here. 

3. Clear cache for Fitbit under Settings>Storage>Fitbit>Storage  There's other ways to access your cache for the Fitbit if you happen to see it in other screens for your phone. 

4. Try to "Force Stop" under Settings>Apps>Fitbit> app at appropriate times. 

5. Make sure you've completed any Fitbit updates in your Play Store as mine did improve after the last update in early April.  

6. Check to see if your actual Charge  3 Fitbit needs updated by checking under where you see "Help & Support>Check for Charge 3 Update" which you'll see in several areas within the Fitbit app.  This takes a lot of time to get through a full update on your Fitbit so be patient.  I bought a used Fitbit that's fully working after I did this to it the other day.  the 😊

7. Check and recheck through any of Fitbit's permissions under Settings>Notifications>Fitbit and Settings>Apps >Fitbit.  I actually wound up turning some notifications back on for things I don't want, just to keep the permissions door wide open for my Fitbit.  Once I get this one Fitbit working right, I'll remove the Calendar and Messages permission later, but only one unwanted module at a time before going to the next notification I prefer not to have.  I may have more things I've done but not remembering at the moment.  Sorry for any spelling grammar and other mistakes on this and my earlier post.  I haven't figured out how to edit my posts yet as I've been really busy working on three Fitbits, along with other things going crazy.  Any advice on how to edit my posts here? 

Best Answer

I am very frustrated and am ready to return this thing. It doesn't track most of what I do. I haven't received my sleep tracking,  which I find very interesting. I can do my workout anyway. I don't need Fitbit!!!

I guess they want me to upgrade to Premium,  but why should I, if I don't even get the basics?

Best Answer

I agree, they need to add an exercise for the time trying to sync the thing!

Best Answer

I finally just restarted my phone and that seemed to do the trick.😊

Best Answer

Yes, after standing on one foot, lifting the right hand into the air and jumping three jumps, turning on and off bluetooth, resetting the app, restarting the app, resetting the phone, restarting the phone, I have used a good many calories with my thumbs.

I have a Dexcom and when I look at the phone with the app open, the number is there which is not true of the Fitbit which sometimes does not sync for 12+ hours.

Best Answer

Hi everyone, 

Thank you for the time invested while troubleshooting this issue. I appreciate the detailed information shared, I see where your frustration is coming from. 

In order to further assist you, please reply to the following questions: 

- What is your phone model and OS installed?

- Are you getting any error message while syncing? 

Did it start happening after an app update?

- Are you able to sync at all? 

Hope this helps. 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

My Sense is about 3wks old and couple days ago, Skin Temp stopped syncing on my android, then SpO2 stopped.  Last night, app could not sync at all and Sense couldn't find phone, even though they were connected via bluetooth.  Tried turning bluetooth and cell phone off/on but nothing.  Then found couple articles here.  With the addition of clearing the cache (not data) on app followed by steps 1, 2, 3, 4 in Troubleshooting above, all the missing date came up and both app/Sense are now connected.  😊

Best Answer

Thank you!

Sandyman123 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone,

Thank you for the time invested while troubleshooting this issue. I appreciate the detailed information shared, I see where your frustration is coming from.

In order to further assist you, please reply to the following questions:

Please see attached screen shot

Just the red I after the wheel goes round and round.

- Did it start happening after an app update?
Pretty much been erratic the entire time.

- Are you able to sync at all?

Presently (not the current screen shop, that was yesterday) the app says the last sync with the phone was 9:44PM yesterday. It will sync if I start my personal computer and have the Windows app running. May take two or more hours before it does sync though. In my opinion the thing should sync at least on a few hour schedule without intervention by the user or needing the desktop app being open. Am I asking too much for the app to trigger an update on a regular basis?

Moderator Edit: Format 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have to do all of the above for an auto sync feature???????

Best Answer

I have an android Oppo A91 mob phone, system current and updated, all permissions granted, my Sense is 5 days old. It started on the very first time I took it off my wrist and put it on charge, now it constantly needs hours of my attention to get it connected and syncing again, Bluetooth says it’s paired but not connected.

Best Answer

Android Pixel 4a

Version 11

No error message, just "Searching for Charge 4" that eventually times out into "Is your device charging"?

My device is fully charged.

- Did it start happening after an app update?

Worked perfectly on my Pixel 3a which broke. I've been unable to sync to the new phone. 

I have reset my Charge 4. Uninstalled the FitBit app and rebooted my phone numerous times. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Actually... for some reason it worked. I ended up holding the button on side of FitBit for 10 seconds (While on Charger) to reset it and then it found it. 

Best Answer

Ok, since I made the remark about needing a thumb exercise for syncing, and yes the thumbs are in much better shape I have found a way to make syncing more reliable.

1. Close the app.

2. Go to the Apps settings page and force stop Fitbit.

3. Back to the screen and open the Fitbit app which should bring up the dashboard.

4  Wait to see if the app will sync and if not

5. Touch the screen at the top between Fitbit and Today and drag down.  It should tell you to release and when you do if it is going to sync it will.

6. May need to do this a few times and if you get a note that it cannot connect - Fix it, rinse and repeat with step 1.

So far I have only had to do this a couple of times before it has synced up.  Not certain why it operates the way it does but give this a try.

Best Answer

I have a Samsung A52 and it just isn't recognising my Versa Lite; truning Bluetooth off and on doesn't seem to do anything - it cannot even see the tracker on Bluetooth. How do I get it to even see the tracker,  let alone sync with it?

Best Answer
The unit will not register on bluetooth. When you open the app, it should guide you into connecting or will say when you attempt to pair it with BT that an app is required.

One way to tell is turn BT off then open the Fitbit app. At that point it should tell you that BT is off and ask if you want the app to fix it. If you indicate yes then it will power BT on and should be able to be found on the app.

If you have a computer, install the Windows app and ensure it will sync. Most mornings I must log into the computer and sync with it then I can sync with the phone, like magic fairy dust stuff.
Best Answer