Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Version 3 - Premium Sleep Data

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I'm extremely disappointed how Fitbit have decided to lock away user's own sleep data behind a Paywall subscription. 

Subscription for: 

* Audio & Video Workouts

* Guided Programs

I totally understand because they're added features to enhance/supplement the tracker but

* Premium Insights

So I can see my sleeping heart rate, my own data from the tracker, is pretty rude.

I bought the tracker specifically for sleep data and there was nothing in the website to indicate that it is or will be accessible behind a paid subscription fee @ $14.99/month AUD... to access my sleeping heart rateScreenshot_20190714_100524_com.fitbit.FitbitMobile.jpgScreenshot_20190714_101349_com.fitbit.FitbitMobile.jpg

Best Answer
61 REPLIES 61

I'm really disappointed in this too! It's one thing to offer a subscription for extras such as coaching etc... It's entirely different to require a subscription to view data for a device we already bought.

I bought the device because on the sleep tracking, I knew an update was in the works, and now I find I need a subscription to access some of the data from my device. What's more, the subscription is over half the price of the device per year!

This is really disappointing, and feels pretty underhanded.

Best Answer

I can see my data and I don't pay a cent. I wonder what the issue is  

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Blacksnake 

Do you have Sleeping Heart Rate as per the screenshot I have above? Depends what data you're familiar with.

This is a new addition from Version 3. The sleeping stages is as per usual.

The Sleeping Heart Rate page I had to activate the trial subscription to see those stats.

Best Answer

Screenshot_20190715-075352_Fitbit.jpg

That is what I get when I scroll down on my individual sleep page, there was never a lock or a subscription. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Interesting considering in my screenshot you can see the 2 padlocks for sleeping heart rate and restlessness. As soon as you tap "View..." you get sent to a paywall subscription page to sign up for a monthly/yearly subscription to Fitbit Premium, charged via Google Play or a 7 day trial.

Confirmed by going in to my Google Play store and under Subscriptions, I can see that my Fitbit Premium is on trial so I could access that data.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Blacksnake I also note your screen is different to mine as you are able to scroll down your entire days data where the sleeping heart rate is below the REM stages.

Mine is divided up in to 3 sections:

*Time Asleep

*Deep and REM

*Restoration

Where each section provides a sleep score and further explanation of each section at the bottom of the page. You can compare the screenshots especially the top and bottom of the screen.

My version is 3.0 (20213406)Sleep ScoresSleep Scores

Best Answer

I think they're trying to do some A B testing to see if they can gouge us for data from a device we already bought. 

My girlfriend is on Android and she can see the sleeping heart rate and restlessness, yet I get a pay wall.

This is really douchey...

Best Answer

You are right. I just checked and my version is 2.95, and I have a version 3.0 waiting for me in my app updates. Apparently I will be avoiding it now, because thats dodgy as hell.

So much for "Bug fixes and made stability improvements" as the changelog.

Best Answer

Days like these I wish I didn't let Google Play auto update my apps...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Weirdly enough I have auto-update on over any network and it hasn't done it for that app only.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm not sure if this is an update thing, I think they are just trying to charge some people and not others... They are seeing if they can get away with it... I think my girlfriend's app is up to date...

Best Answer

2019-07-15 09.32.09.jpg

I decided that the only reliable way to test it is to update. Obviously risky but for the greater good. Have a look at what happened. I am going to guess your gf hasnt yet updated.

Best Answer

I guess we have the answer now... 

This is really bad form. It's not like it's a cheap subscription either, it's over 50% of the cost of the device per year in Australia @ $125/year...

Does make me wonder how legal it is to remove access to significant and meaningful data after a device has been purchased...

I hope they reconsider, this sucks...

Best Answer

They are just shooting themselves in the foot to me. I don't even come close to considering the information that have now hidden being important enough to pay an extra cent for on top of the purchase price of the device. I have a strong aversion to paying for a whole bunch of stuff when I would only use one small part. If anything, this is souring my experience of fitbit.

And don't forget, all this from the company that has been using spO2 as a selling point on most devices in the last few years and haven't come close to actually providing it. My guess is that they will hide that behind a paywall as well when it finally comes out.

Best Answer

I agree.

I only activated the trial to see what I was 'missing'. It's certainly not worth the $ to open up this data but it's also not right to hide my personal stats which we bought the tracker (in my case, Charge 3) for. As mentioned in my OP, extra services like Fitbit Coach which 'enhance' my experience are an acceptable added subscription. My own data which the tracker obtained locked behind a subscription only begs the question, "Once they know they can get away with this, how much more data can they push to the paywall?"

Moving forward, new trackers with new features will probably be moved to the paywall.

PS @Blacksnake Thanks for updating and proving this issue.. it's unfortunate you are now on this side of the wall but it's more of a PSA to others (...are we all in Australia, experiencing this?)

Best Answer

came here to say the same thing.  upgraded to charge 3 for o2 sensor I was promised but never got and now Fitbit is taking away something as well.  they are absolutely horrible.

Best Answer

I've been looking to upgrade from my Alta - but if this is going to happen then I'm going to look at other options for an upgrade! That is ridiculous!

Best Answer

Why does everybody on this forum expect software for free? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Because we paid decent money for the device assuming there was free software that we can use to see our own data. We're not asking them to give us coaching for free, we're asking that more granular sleeping data be given to us. They aren't breaking ground with this information, it's not that special but it's always been there  just held back from us completely. It's something we should have had access to the whole time.

Best Answer