Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between Aria and Aria 2

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi

Apart from the price point, what is the difference between the Aria and Aria 2? I can't see any enhancements in the specs to warrant considering an upgrade.

Thanks

Best Answer
116 REPLIES 116

You can retain the same body fat percentage, but have lost fat and lean mass. If the ratio of fat to lean mass is the same, the body fat percentage will stay the same:

150 lbs total (100 lbs lean, 50 lbs Fat) = 33.3% Body Fat  (50/150)

120 lbs total (80 lbs lean, 40 lbs Fat) =33.3% Body Fat (40/120)

In this example you have lost 10 lbs fat, but have the same percentage because you also lose 20 lbs lean.

Best Answer

Apparently the Aria had a defect in which the battery in the Aria dies or the system dies exactly 2 years after buying it. So they probably fixed that in the Aria 2. They also put Bluetooth and better wifi connectivity in the Aria 2. At the moment the Aria 1 is very cheap. So I will be getting the Aria 1.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Why can´t Fitbit just update the firmware/software on the Aria for better accuracy?

Best Answer

Hopefully the Aria 2 won't break suddenly after 1-2-3 years of use? That would be an improvement... my Aria scales all died without much reason, from one day to the other, during or just after the expiry of the warranty period.

Best Answer
0 Votes

One thing to keep in mind Jody, is that the calipers only measure subcutaneous fat while the scale also measures visceral fat as well as subcutaneous fat.

Best Answer

To get the best result of any bioimpedance device, it works best if you are well hydrated, have recently eliminated, and haven’t eaten or exercised in about 4 hrs. If you make sure you use the scale under these conditions, you should get the most accurate results.

Best Answer

Maybe... however, I've noticed significant changes in BMI recording based on how hydrated I am. That is how it is "able" to do it anyway. Make sure you're drinking enough water! 🙂

Best Answer

I just found out the price $139.00 for the new Aria 2 it blew me away! I was looking at the other scales and they have a feature which measures your water weight at least I thought Fitbit would add a feature like this. I’m sticking with my Aria  and invest in new batteries I just changed mine out from the ones they give you after a month..

Best Answer
0 Votes

Seems like a way of just relaunching the old one, but making it more expensive. Rubbish update! 

Best Answer
People, it’s a new equation and added Bluetooth. Some professional scales that dietitians use are around $1000 because of the precision of the algorithm used, not because the technology of the scale itself is so vastly different than another. The Aria 2 has a new algorithm and Bluetooth. It’s not a relaunch, a repackaging, or the same old scale.
Best Answer

For what it's worth, my Aria 1 would hardly ever actually return a bf% value for me for whatever reason. I believe I once read somewhere that it referenced some sample data from a published research study to correlate height/weight/impedance to calculate the bf% estimate. Maybe I fell outside of traditional values, but it would always seem to act wonky. I would also weigh myself 3-4 times in a row and the value would change by a pound or two unless I forced the Aria 1 to "tare" itself and re-zero. It also would have problems syncing with my wifi and would occasionally think that I was a guest if I gained/lost more than 3-4 lbs across a day due to hydration levels.

I put some faith in Fitbit correcting these issues now that there is more competition on the market and pre-ordered the Aria 2. So far, it has consistently returned a bf% value for me and appears to give me a more accurate weight measurement. So far, so good here. I am now happy that I can actually use my Aria 2 as a functional tool in tracking my fitness.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Does it also fail with the "Sensing, Step Off, Thinking, Err" at 13-20 months like the Aria 1 did?  Or did you remove that "feature" with the Aria 2?  Also, since the Aria 1 clearly had a design flaw, why didn't your company at least offer a discount on the Aria 2 for folks with bricked Aria 1's?

Best Answer

I just want an accurate scale that I can get on it 3 times in a row and get the same readings.

Best Answer

I have an Aria 1 and really like it. My only complaint is it won't sync to my wi-fi through an extender. Will the Aria 2 sync with an extender?

Best Answer
0 Votes

So I'm purchasing my first scale (for my son who's 14), is version 1 or version 2 best for him?

Thank You!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Make sure you buy the scale from bed bath beyond or Best Buy and get the 3 year warranty.  The Aria 1 bricks itself at 1-2 years, and the Aria 2 is buggy right now... not very encouraging.

Best Answer

in one to two years you wont be able to buy and Aria 1. you will prob get credit towards an aria 2.

Or just buy a better scale now/

Best Answer
0 Votes

Adrian,

I'm intrigued by your comment and would value any competitive suggestions. As I'm not enamored with Fitbit's insistence on developing derivative, anachronistic technology and design (remeniscent of BlackBerry), it would be great to know what better options exist. 

Many thanks.

@Adrian80 wrote:

Hello,

My initial Aria had problems like low battery life (2 weeks). Had it replaced, and I have the same original set from more than 9 months now. All full, and the scale is used daily by more than 1 person. 

The Aria 2 is for me no reason to upgrade. K'mon Fitbit is allmoust 2018. Other scales has segmental analyse, watter/bone mass index and so on, and your new scale is a refurbised Aria ?!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi Robb,

Nokia and Tanika have competitive scales with full body segmental analyse, and Garmin has an entire ecosistem of products from scales to smartwatches.

Trimis de pe iPhone‑ul meu
Best Answer

I see a lot of people complaining about having problems with equipment and it being out of warranty... have you ever actually contact Fitbit when having these problems?  I've contacted them on weird problems for both a tracker and an Aria, and they sent me replacements at no cost, even out of warranty.  I had an OLD clip-on, and I mean it was like two years out of warranty, and they still replaced it at no charge.  I think if there's any known issue or something you can prove had nothing to do with you breaking it, there's a good chance they're going to help you out.

Also, I have the Aria 1, and there is absolutely no reason I can see to upgrade.  None of the new features are all that mind-blowing.  Showing BMI on the display, essentially a pointless measurement, isn't helpful.  I'd rather see fat mass, lean mass, bone mass, water, visceral fat, etc.  All things my $40 Omron seems to be able to do, it just doesn't have the ability to connect and sync with anything unfortunately.

Best Answer