Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria Setup Failure

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I am also unable to set up my Aria.

I followed all these directions (thanks to Erich for helpfully posting):
- Take out all the batteries and wait for one minute before placing them back in.
- Clear your browser's cache and cookies.
- Check that your Wi-Fi password is correct.
- Make sure the Aria scale is within 10 feet of the router.
- Make sure the scale wireless antenna has access to the main router signal, not to an extender.
- Your router needs to be configured to standard 802.11b (for more information about this you can contact your internet provider or your router's manufacturer)

My router is in this mode right now:  Mixed accepts 802.11b and 802.11g connections.  I could have switched it to 802.11b only, but since it says it accepts 802.11b I left it in this mode.

Every time, I do the following:
1.  take out battery, replace battery after 1 minute
2.  Aria says V31 Wifi [SSID], Tap to Change
3.  I hold down lower edge, "Setup Active" appears on the scale
4.  I follow the instructions on my iPhone app, which has me log in to my Fitbit account
5.  It asks me to switch to AriaXXXX wireless network, which I do
6.  It seeks and finds my wireless network, which I select.

7.  It then asks me to switch back to my home wireless, which happens automatically on my iPhone, and then I click a button saying I am connected, and the iPhone attempts to connect to the Aria, BUT
8.  While I am doing that, and before I can get to the button, the scale says JOINING, then Wifi ERR, then goes dark.

5 attempts so far, it's packed and ready to go back pending a non-boilerplate response from Fitbit.  Any help is appreciated!

Best Answer
181 REPLIES 181

Thanks so much for sharing the solution for this  @AaronPlant Woman Very Happy!

You will need to repeat the setup process to reconnect the Aria to your wireless network if you've made any changes to your network, such as changing the network name, password, router, or internet service provider, 

You can do this by proceeding through either of the setup methods detailed here or by watching this video

When you reach the step that asks you to place the scale in "SETUP ACTIVE" mode, please follow the steps below: 

1. Remove a battery from the scale, and wait at least ten seconds before reinserting it. 
2. Your scale should briefly show your previous network name, and will then display "TAP TO CHANGE." 
3. When you see the word "TAP" appear on the display, press down firmly and briefly on the scale's two bottom corners. 
4. Your scale's display should go blank for a moment, then read "SETUP ACTIVE." 
5. At this point you may continue with the on-screen instructions to set up your scale with your new network. 

If the scale's display goes blank or shows weight measurement information during these steps, you will need to remove a battery and return to Step 3 to try again. Once the scale reads “Setup Active,” you can proceed through the rest of Aria setup as normal. 

Happy stepping!

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer

Last week my Aria just stopped connecting to my wifi (little WIFI with an X icon).

Wifi configuration was unchnaged, wifi password did not change, nothing changed except that the Aria stopped connecting.

So I went on to here to find some kind of support and I was instructed to run through the setup process again--which is basically like starting over.

So I did, to failure over and over.  "WIFI ERR" every time.

Then I tried AaronPlant's suggestion, and I still get "WIFI ERR" only now my Fitbit Aria user has been removed which is not a plus in my book.

I tried changing the batteries, and I still get "WIFI ERR."

However, now it's stuck in SETUP ACTIVE mode.  Taking the batteries out doesn't help.  Weighing myself doesn't help, it weighs me, recognizes me, and after failing to sync, goes back into SETUP ACTIVE mode.

I was hoping that this just had to do with reacquiring a local IP or some typical thing like that and I was going to try to give it an IP reservation this time around so I didn't lose the network like this again.

But despite the fact that none of my network configurations have changed, the Aria simply stopped connecting.

I get it, it's a network device, there's going to be a small amount of finickiness to the process. 

But I can't imagine the Engineering meeting where someone said "Hey, I got it, let's just have the user connect to their Aria with a secondary WIFI device, no, no, don't look at me like that, check it out, first we'll make them connect to the Internet to acquire configuration files, then connect to a local Aria based WIFI to send WIFI connection instructions to the Aria and then connect back to the Internet to verify that the Aria can now connect to the Internet via the user's main WIFI connection point!"

And then some executive go "GENIUS, YOU SIR/MADAM NEED A RAISE!"

This is probably the most ridiculous and COMPLICATED engineering solution to what is a VERY COMMON PROBLEM. 

Like you don't need to reinvent wireless device configuration just because it's a scale.  You simply do what EVERY OTHER reasonable engineer would do (and has done) and just utilize a freaking USB hard connection to the Aria and have a simple Interface configuration software that allows users to configure their WIFI connection AS WELL AS create a WAY easier method for firmware updates!

Come on, people, Wireless Printers have been doing this for YEARS!

You're not Vikings of Innovation here, okay?

Obviously, this rant about Fitbit Engineers is not directed at the moderator here, but come on!  You just have to say this out loud to realize that this method is a bad idea.

I'm at a loss what to do now.  Certainly the batteries will wear down faster now that SETUP ACTIVE marquis text scrolls constantly across my display and the **ahem**ed Aria-based WIFI connection point is active and open and waiting for just anyone else in my apartment building to connect to it.

Super.

Best Answer
Lolz

Kind regards
Danelle Eagle
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Totally gave up on mine. Piece of (expensive) junk cluttering up my bathroom. I could not be more disappointed.

I can identify with your experience, but I really appreciate your dark and humorous view of it all. I'd give you a higher "upvote" if I could.  😉

Best Answer

As the original "Im pissed", I'm now amused, but still sorry that you are having these issues. Needless to say I have felt your pain.  Frankly, since this original post my rant gave me the courage to finally get the scale to work.  I learned that the very prescriptive help needs to be followed to the letter.  Tools needs; a laptop, an iPad, iPhone and a bottle of Chivas. For a battery change just a Martini.   Good luck..

Best Answer

If I start with the Chivas, I probably won't get the scale set up properly. But then again, I probably won't care, either, lol!  😉

Best Answer
0 Votes

Bob, you are The Man.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m at the very end after the setup to aria WiFi, then back to my WiFi for final check then it doesn’t connect but ask if I’d like to start again.

iPhone 6s ver 11.1.1

Best Answer

@mikemonagle @Cbyrdie Thanks for joining us in this thread and welcome to the Fitbit forums! I would like to know if your Aria scales are still experiencing setup issues or if they could be connected to your network.

Looking forward to your responses guys! Smiley Happy

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes my Fitbit Aria still has the same issue, when setting up, I have tried
different routers, changing batteries, all the things on this thread except
opening up the scale.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I have no problem with mine. They are connected and work fine. Only problem is, they weigh me too heavy. I can’t imagine me weighing this much. Lol
Actually, each time I have to change computers, phones or router, I have a problem starting them back up but I’m sure it’s user( me) error. I finally get it fixed.
Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

@Kmelvin31 It's great to see you in the Fitbit Community! Please let me know what is the make and model of your router. Also, please provide more details about the issue you are experiencing, are you getting any error message? This info will help me to assist you accordingly.

@Emmonk I'm so glad to hear that your Aria scale is working properly. Thanks for sharing the update in the Community. In case your Aria provides inaccurate readings, please restart your scale by taking out the batteries for 15 seconds and put them back in. After this, weigh yourself 5 times in order to re-calibrate your scale.

See you both later guys! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes
I finally got it set up, but not easy as the box indicated

Carolyn Byrd / Owner/Operator
carolyn.ids@gmail.com / 3103671038
Ice Delivery Service
1060 w. 25th Street
San Pedro, Ca 90731
www.icedeliveryservice.com

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've tried a number of things including:

• Deleting my Aria scale from my account and adding it back in ("Bob" posted this solution here).
  • Setting my wireless router to use the 1 lowest channel (as opposed to the auto setting, don't remember where I read about this).

These things used to work, but with the very latest modem from Comcast I cannot get my Aria to connect at all.

My solution at this point is to also keep using my old D-Link DIR-615 wireless router in addition to my Comcast modem/router.  The Aria scale has no problems at all connecting to this.  You can find these for almost nothing on eBay.

Best Answer

@Cbyrdie That's great news! I'm glad to know that you were able to set up your Aria scale properly. Thank you for letting me know and hope you keep enjoying your scale.

@mikemonagle I'm also glad to hear that your Aria scale is syncing with your D-Link DIR-615 modem. Regarding the syncing issue with your Comcast router, I'd like you to take a look at Kate's post since she shared a workaround and an update about this issue.

I'll be around if more assistance is needed guys! Smiley Happy

Best Answer

I couldn't connect my Aria either. Tried all things, but what did the trick: 

My WIFI network name wasn't readable by the Aria scale! There were spaces and an "&" in it. Maybe symbols like "@#$%^&*()" aren't beneficial for setting up the aria either.

@mikemonagle : Check out the network name of your wireless router and your comcast router. could you switch the names of these two and try to connect your scale to the wireless router now? 

So this could be a solution: Check your WIFI network name for spaces and symbols.

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer

@NMIHVN Welcome to our Fitbit Community! I'm sorry to hear about the setup issues you had with your Aria scale. However, I'm so glad to hear that you managed to get this issue corrected. Thank you for posting the update here and sharing the workaround that you followed. I'm sure that this will help other users that experience the same issue.

I'd like to invite you to visit our Discussions board where you can share your experiences, meet people and create new topics.

Hope to see you in our Fitbit Community more often! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there,

I'm having extreme difficulty setting up my aria to my fitbit account. I've been attempting for two hours, while conducting all the suggestions from fitbit reps and other google responses. I can get to the part where it says to reconnect to my internet and then "confirm connection", however, the aria infinately keeps saying "joining" where my iphone will say the setup did not complete.

I have:

- checked my internet connection

- reset the aria several times

- waited patiently after I enter my wifi password and not touch anything (as suggested in this post)

and nothing happens!!! When i go back to my wifi settings, my phone has already put me back to my own wifi, but the aria still says joining.

Please help me!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JGM2019 Thank you for joining us in this thread and our Fitbit Community! I'm sorry to hear that your Aria scale is not connecting to your network. Thank you for troubleshooting this issue before contacting the Community.

Please let me know the following details that will help me to assist you accordingly: What is the make and model of your router? Is your router running the protocol 802.11b, bandwidth 2.4GHz? These settings can be reviewed with your Internet service provider.

Looking forward to your response! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there,

I checked with my internet provider and contacted a Fitbit rep AGAIN by phone. My internet provider said I met all the requirements that the rep emailed me to verify with the internet provider. The Aria is still NOT connecting. I have worked with that device for several hours on more than one day. 

Best Answer
0 Votes