Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria Step Off, Sensing, Error

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Have had this scale for two years and loved it. All of a sudden today I change the batteries and start getting a step off, sensing, error message over and over again. Contacted customer service and all they can tell me to do is throw it away. For a scale that costs so much money it's unacceptable that it stops working so soon. Have been a loyal customer for over three years and now I'll have to look elsewhere for a quality product

Best Answer
138 REPLIES 138
This is a rip off.

I can't believe that the company is doing absolutely NOTHING to address
this issue, other than telling people to throw away the scale.

I was so excited to join the Fit Bit Community, and using the products has
helped me to exponentially increase my fitness level. I'm on my second
Fitbit watch.

I am on the path to be a LIFETIME fit person, who routinely purchases
fitness related items, but I will NEVER purchase from Fitbit again.

What type of company would knowingly have a defective product in
circulation and simply ignore it? It's astounding.
Best Answer

I really believed that when I called they would have a solution.  It seems that they did a firmware update that broke our scales.  I've had such great customer service before that I'm truly shocked at this level of disconnect.  Any Fitbit employee monitoring this thread???

Best Answer
They'll be monitoring, but short of admitting fault, there's nothing they're going to do.

Its really pathetic.

I'm done with fitbit.

⁣Sent from Blue ​
Best Answer

Hi Juan,

hope you are well. I came to this thread after I recieved "ERR" message on my scale.

Is there any solution to our problem?

It would be nice if Fitbit could let us know what is going on. Angry customers with the same issue does not sound like anything Fitbit wants.

Best Answer

It seems that this is still an ongoing problem.  Does Fitbit have a firmware solution?  

Best Answer

Hi everyone! I'm so sorry to hear that your Aria scales have been showing a "Sensing ERR" message. I really appreciate your feedback and I understand how frustrated you are due to this issue.

I would like to follow up and would like to know if the issue persists or if the error got solved. In the meantime, please follow this workaround: take out the 4 batteries for 15 seconds and put them back in. Once this has been done, make sure that your scales are placed on an even or flat surface. Finally, weigh yourselves 5 consecutive times in order to re-calibrate your scales.

If you already did this, also let me know and I'll be happy to assist you my friends! Smiley Happy

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes
The error remains, even after trying multiple times to reset it by your instructions.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Customer service have offered to help with proof of purchase but I no longer have my receipt after moving house and it would be out of warranty anyway. I won’t be buying fit bit products again. 

Best Answer

I am having a very similar problem but the err message began when I switched to a new wifi network.  The scale weighed me yesterday and today but did not show up on my dashboard.  I realized it was due to our new router so I did the set up on the Aria and starting getting the err message.  I tried multiple times to take out both just one battery and all of them, replaced all the batteries, and weighed myself five times with bare feet on a hard surface.  Customer service just told me I was out of warranty (and therefore out of luck).  Why would this happen just by setting up a new wifi setup.  I have had the Aria for 3 years with no prior problems.

Best Answer

So glad to hear that I am not the only one having this problem.  I thought it was because I changed my internet router, but I see that this is not the problem.  I am disappointed at the ethics Fitbit is adhereing to, money, money, money.  I will stop buying  Fitbit product from now on. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JuanJoFitbit wrote:

Hi everyone! I'm so sorry to hear that your Aria scales have been showing a "Sensing ERR" message. I really appreciate your feedback and I understand how frustrated you are due to this issue.

I would like to follow up and would like to know if the issue persists or if the error got solved. In the meantime, please follow this workaround: take out the 4 batteries for 15 seconds and put them back in. Once this has been done, make sure that your scales are placed on an even or flat surface. Finally, weigh yourselves 5 consecutive times in order to re-calibrate your scales.

If you already did this, also let me know and I'll be happy to assist you my friends! Smiley Happy

Did all that myself and it didn't help. Contacted support and was asked to repeat it again. Still didn't work. Support asked for receipt and what not then decided my scale is not in warranty. So no help, no replacement, no repair. I am throwing that thing out the next time my town does tech recycling, along with 2 Charge HDs that have been replaced more than once and are still broken.

Guess who's never going to buy anything from FitBit?

Best Answer

I have done all of the troubleshooting steps mentioned (multiple times) and the error message is still there.  Customer service told me to stick a paperclip in the small hole on the bottom of the scale and that did nothing to solve the problem either.

Best Answer

Already did this.  3 Times.  Not resolved.  Issues persists.  This is not a resolved issue.

Best Answer

I am having all these issues today with my Aria scale. I love this scale and have used it regularly for about 18 months or so. Today got a message that battery was low so I changed the batteries. Get a message that says "sensing" then "step off" then "thinking" then "ERR". Changed batteries again tonight and then just totally reset from the beginning. Same thing happens. Have been reading messages since August. Very disappointed that it seems like FITBIT is just saying the scale is not fixable or replaceable - seems a bit outrageous to me. I have grown to depend on FITBIT Charge and the ARIA to help me in my fitness program.

Best Answer

I tried your work-a-round solution without success

Aria Fit Bit Smart Scale worked well for 2 years ... until it didn’t.

Best Answer

I'm having the same issues. It will NOT resolve no matter what the steps.

Best Answer
This seems to be a problem with so many people! Is Fitbit doing nothing to solve the problem??
Best Answer
0 Votes

When I called I was stunned when they told me I was out of warranty and they wouldn’t help.  They did a firmware update in August and messed up the “old” scales and now won’t help fix them. Their customer service has always been great...until now!  So very disappointed!!

Best Answer

Sigh. I'm facing the same issue now. This is not accepted given that this scale is not cheap. Any ideas if there will be a software upgrade to fix this problem ? Fitbit has got to realise none of us are gonna buy the Aria 2 if the first one is not durable at all!

Best Answer

Yes, same here.

The sad thing is that the tech support in Singapore is non-existent.

I called the retailer and they referred me to Fitbit Singapore.

The Fitbit representative from a company called Mojito advised me to write in to Customer Support in the US.

Now I find this thread in the forum showing that it is a known issue but no one at Fitbit is acknowledging it.

Are Fitbit going belly up? Suggest that shareholders dump their stock before it gets worse.....

Best Answer
0 Votes