Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria Step Off, Sensing, Error

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Have had this scale for two years and loved it. All of a sudden today I change the batteries and start getting a step off, sensing, error message over and over again. Contacted customer service and all they can tell me to do is throw it away. For a scale that costs so much money it's unacceptable that it stops working so soon. Have been a loyal customer for over three years and now I'll have to look elsewhere for a quality product

Best Answer
138 REPLIES 138

@DC91 It's great to have you aboard in our Fitbit Community! So sorry to hear about the "Sensing ERR" message and I'm also sorry to hear that your Aria scale is no longer under warranty. The warranty period is good for 365 days. I really understand your frustration and I appreciate your feedback and comments about the warranty. I'll forward this info to our team since this helps us to keep improving our services and products.

For more information about the warranty policy, please visit this page.

Let me know if you more assistance is needed my friend! Smiley Happy

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the exact same issue. Changed batteries and suddenly it starts giving error message. Have tried all sorts of things i.e. changing batteries again, changing wifi networks but it gives error message when you do a weigh in! Searched the community and saw many others are facing this issue. 

Can you suggest what should I do?

Best Answer

I wish I did but unfortunately I don't. As I found out yesterday Fitbit is unwilling to assist in this issue so I'd suggest to start looking into other products as that's what I'm currently doing. Garmin has a scale that seems to do everything the aria does and from the reviews I've read is more durable. I think I'm going to give them a chance now. 

Best Answer

@ZUK Thanks for joining us in this thread and our Fitbit Community! Thanks also for your time in troubleshooting this issue before getting in touch with us. I would like to know if your Aria scale is placed on an even and flat surface. Also, try setting up your Aria from scratch so it can get refreshed internally.

@DC91 I really understand your frustration and I'm sorry to hear that you decided to stop using Fitbit. I appreciate your sincere feedback. Don't hesitate to get back if you need more help my friend.

See you guys later! Smiley Happy

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer

Yes JuanJo I have tried these things as well ie set up from scratch and changing places but the issues continues. 

Best Answer

I have just had the same issue occur today - it's been working well up until yesterday and as soon as I've changed the batteries, it's bringing up this message and there's nothing I've tried that is stopping it.

Fitbit - this is unacceptable. For a device that is an expensive outlay that is used in confined and stable circumstances and, in my case, used only one per week if that, we should not be expected to to accept that it's reached the end of its lifer expectancy and to throw it away. What an appalling way to treat your customers. This feels like planned obsolescence to me. 

Best Answer

I have been using my Aria for about a month. Bought it a couple of months ago. But, waited to set it up. Finally, I think I conquered set up. But, it never gave me more information than my weight no BMI. 

Two days ago, I started getting error messages. It would read: step on, sensing, thinking, step off, then error. So, I changed the batteries. It required that I set it up all over. I did this time with my cell phone. 

Still error messages. What is going on ??? 

Best Answer

Just trying to understand... Was there an update that has caused this error to occur to our "old" scales?  I just returned from vacation and am receiving the same error this morning!

Best Answer

I have also had my scale for a few years now and have had no problems with it until today. I just used it last night and then this morning updated the Fitbit app on my phone. Now I am also receiving the "error" message. This has to be related to the new update. 

Best Answer

This has to be an update sent out, just as they're preparing to launch a new Aria scale. My scale was working fine, and now everyone has the same issue, on the same day. Not ok. 

Best Answer

Seems to be a failure of the software and as such the product is unfit for purpose.

At present I've submitted a replace, upgrade or refund request, but am quite happy to return to Amazon under their own processes and claim a refund accordingly before buying a reliable product from an alternative vendor. Safe to say I won't be upgrading my Fitbit Charge 2 in a hurry.

Best Answer

I would like to know what Fitbit's official response is to the long list of failing Aria's and if they are actually expecting us to believe it is caused by user error. Please respond

Best Answer
I got no response to my post about my failed Aria

ttps://webmail.w14d.comcast.net/owa/?ae=Item&a=New&t=IPM.Note&email=mailto%3axmnuz23762.prod%7c5a9b0e40%7c549de5ad-7444-4b83-9347-a308d16bac23%40reply01.lithium.com%3fsubject%3dRe%3a%2520Aria%2520Step%2520Off%2c%2520Sensing%2c%2520Error
Best Answer

No one has responded to me.

@Francesco10 wrote:

I would like to know what Fitbit's official response is to the long list of failing Aria's and if they are actually expecting us to believe it is caused by user error. Please respond

Best Answer

As far as I can see, everyone got the same error message on round about the same day. Which points to a firmware update. 

Best Answer

Just started to have this exact issue since a few days ago. It's like Fitbit intentionally sabotaged the old scale to drive people to the new one.

This and both of the 2 Charge HRs needed 3 replacements between them under warranty, then both broke again right after warranty expired. I will no longer buy anything from FitBit.

Best Answer

what do you know? My scales stopped working around that time too! I think I got one reading out of them (they were turning themselves on and off all day) and now the batteries have run out Im getting the same error as everyone else after having to go through the setup again.

@stephenju wrote:

Just started to have this exact issue since a few days ago. It's like Fitbit intentionally sabotaged the old scale to drive people to the new one.

This and both of the 2 Charge HRs needed 3 replacements between them under warranty, then both broke again right after warranty expired. I will no longer buy anything from FitBit.

Best Answer

I'm having the exact same problem, and it started at the same time as the replies on this thread. I've had my Aria for several years (so my warranty is over) and I'm very unhappy that it suddenly started having this issue. Customer Service is saying to just throw it away?? That doesn't sound like customer service to me... the timing is VERY fishy to me, especially given that the new Aria scale is coming out (or has come out?) soon.

I *was* a loyal fitbit buyer, but for such an expensive item as an Aria, I was expecting a much-longer lifespan. I won't be purchasing a new one, and I'll think twice about purchasing other Fitbit items in the future.

However, I will hang on to mine for a bit longer (stick it in my bathroom closet), in the hopes that if this is a software upgrade glitch, Fitbit figures it out in the next software update.

Best Answer

Our scales seem to have stopped at the same time as everyone else. I’m hoping there will be a fix soon since we just replaced a fit bit because we had the scale. We almost went with Garmin but went with Fitbit because we spent so much on the scales. Soooo diappointed

Best Answer