Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Body fat % vs BMI inquiry

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Curious as to why my body fat percentage is going up from 33 to 35.5% but yet BMI is going down?

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@Techy It's great to see you in our Fitbit Community! The information that shared my friend @JohnnyRow is totally correct.

In addition, I'd like to share this help article, under the subject "How can I get the most accurate reading from my Aria scale?", which provides some tips and explanation about the Aria accuracy.

Let @JohnnyRow and me know if you have any doubts! Smiley Happy

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
4 REPLIES 4

If this is a short-term effect (a few days), it's probably a temporary water-balance issue.  The body fat % as measured by the Fitbit scale method is very sensitive to body fluids.  Muscles have more water (blood) than fat so being dehydrated gets interpreted as more fat/less muscle.  If this is your case, it should return to making more sense as your fluids return to normal within a few days. With body fat loss, or gain, it often takes the body several days to adjust water retention.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer

So it’s better to weigh yourself the next morning after using the restroom?

Also since I’ve been working out more (the best I can since I’m really over weight) I’ve been told to drink lots of water to flush the toxins out of my body. Which is any where between 1 gallon to maybe 2 gallons a day. Some drinks I feel like I’m using the restroom every couple hours maybe more. And others I go before work and usually need to around 4-5 hours in. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I do think morning after using bathroom is the best time, and keeps it consistent.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer

@Techy It's great to see you in our Fitbit Community! The information that shared my friend @JohnnyRow is totally correct.

In addition, I'd like to share this help article, under the subject "How can I get the most accurate reading from my Aria scale?", which provides some tips and explanation about the Aria accuracy.

Let @JohnnyRow and me know if you have any doubts! Smiley Happy

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer