Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connectivity difficulties between Aria and Comcast/Xfinity routers

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi everyone! It has come to our attention that some users are experiencing issues with syncing/setting up Aria scales with Comcast/Xfinity routers and we are currently reviewing. 

There is a workaround that has helped most users. For this, follow the instructions below:

• Once logged in,  visit https://internet.xfinity.com/more
  • Edit wifi settings under "Additional Settings"
  • Click on 2.4 frequency edit button.
  • Select g/n, hit save.
  • When the screen refreshes, click edit again, select b/g/n and hit save. 
  • Stand on scale
  • Continue with the regular setup process

Thank you all for your patience. Any update available, I'll make sure to share it in this thread.

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
607 REPLIES 607

I have tried this process multiple times; it is a struggle as it does not connect every time. This time it is adamantly not connecting and is stuck in the 'Setup Active' mode. I am completely frustrated with it at this point and am not sure what to do next... the lack of answers from customer support is also frustrating. 

Best Answer

Fitbit has done nothing to remedy this issue.  You are now a voice in a chorus of Fitbit customers who have had this problem.  My scale hasn’t worked since March.

It says a lot about Fitbit that no fix or act of customer service has been issued for so many clients that have a failed product.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Here it is in a nutshell... it is your internet provider’s crapping router and modem. I had Comcast and rented the combo. Once I purchased Eero & Surfboard my scale has not had a problem. I did this up grade for several reasons: paid for 300 mbps but rarely had that when tested, I started purchasing smart devices. I would suggested purchasing a Eero with three puc.

Sincerely, Cindy
Best Answer
0 Votes

I appreciate that “the team is still reviewing the issue,” but the last software update is time stamped July of 2015. The Aria is no longer listed as an active product on the website. Looks like that bus left town.

Best Answer

Actually, that is not a solution.  Fitbit will not support an owner solution.

Fitbit has to publish one

Best Answer
0 Votes

Best to not bother wasting time. They probably have paid trolls to say there is a solution if you run hoops and climb ladders and go to staples 10 times, but there really is no solution. They don’t care

Best Answer

Renpho scaleRenpho scale

I converted to the Renpho scale someone else mentioned. Under $30 on Amazon and its rechargeable. Works off Bluetooth instead of WiFi and connects to Fitbit. I’m liking it so far! 

Best Answer

The issue with the Aria 1 not "talking" to the Comcast/Xfinity gateway routers seems to be rooted in the fact that the Aria 1 needs to use the old wifi b standard, and can't connect to the newer g, n, a etc. Comcast recently pushed out an update to my gateway that took away its b wireless capability, and my Aria 1 promptly stopped connecting.

I solved this by getting an old router from a thrift store (or get one from that box of old stuff in your garage you've been meaning to get rid of) and setting it up as a wireless access point (it's simple to do, and there's lots of instructions on the internet -- just google "use old router as access point" and you'll find lots of step-by-step instructions -- it takes about five minutes).  Just be sure when you set it up that it's set to the b standard or mixed b and g.  Once you've set it up, run an ethernet cable from an open port on your Comcast/Xfinity gateway to one of the ports on the back of the re-programmed old router (use one of the standard output ports, not the one dedicated to an incoming signal), power it up, and viola, you've got a "b" standard access point that the original Aria can talk to.

This totally worked for me after my Aria 1 quit uploading data right after Comcast pushed out the update to my wireless gateway that took away the b wireless standard.

Or you could always get a new Aria 2 that works with the newer wireless standards.  It's a really cool product and the setup is very easy. 

But for me, five bucks for an old router from Goodwill was better than $129 for a new Aria 2.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Or $30 for an awesome RENPHO scale from amazon that gives you more information then the Aria scale and works all the time

Deb sent the message. iPhone sent the typos.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I totally agree!! I love my RENPHO and I had a doctor tell me that it is the best option

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer
0 Votes

Almost daily I see replies to my original posting about this issue.  No fixes from Fitbit.  No solution without buying something else.  The best solution is to buy a Renpho.

Best Answer

Yeah I'm trying to be patient but man, this is frustrating.  I'll do the fix and it'll work for a week then stop. Do the fix again and it stops working the next day. So inconsistent.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I love my Renpho. Even if they came up with a fix I would not go back. For $30 I have a much better scale.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

Does anyone else have to do this solution daily?

(From the prior post)

Click the drop-down on the "b/g/n" and change it to "g/n". (Yes, I know, the scale is on b.) Hit save. Wait until it refreshes. Then repeat the process and change it back to "b/g/n" hit save, wait until it refreshes and then go stand on your scale.

This solution used to work for a couple of weeks, now I need to do this each and every day. Is there a new workaround?

Best Answer
0 Votes
The only work around I found was to get a RENPHO scale

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer

I checked out the Renpho on Amazon, and it looks like a really cool product.  But my Aria 1 has been working flawlessly ever since I got that old router out of my junk box in the garage and set it up as a wireless access point, so I'll stick with it and save the money for now.  For me this was a no-cost fix that didn't require buying anything or setting up anything new.

But good to know the Renpho is there, and that based on what folks here are saying, it can be set up to "talk" to Fitbit.

For reference, here's an excerpt from my earlier post about how to set up an old router as an access point:

"I solved this by getting an old b/g standard router either from a thrift store or that box of old stuff in your garage you've been meaning to get rid of and setting it up as a wireless access point (it's simple to do, and there's lots of instructions on the internet -- just google "use old router as access point" and you'll find lots of step-by-step instructions -- it takes about five minutes).  Just be sure when you set it up that it's set to the b standard or mixed b and g.  Once you've set it up, run an ethernet cable from an open port on your Comcast/Xfinity gateway to one of the ports on the back of the re-programmed old router (use one of the standard output ports, not the one dedicated to an incoming signal), power it up, and viola, you've got a "b" standard access point that the original Aria can talk to."

The minute I hooked this up the Aria 1 started connecting again and has been flawless ever since.  Yeah, it's kind of a cheapskate solution, but it works!

Best Answer

Considering how long this process has been going on it seems Fitbit had no intention of fixing this issue. I'll stop recommending fitbit products on the dozens of WW groups I'm I'm and get a renpro. At least I can feel less locked into Fitbit products when I replace my watch at Christmas and go back to Samsung.

Best Answer

Absolutely agree.  Fitbit has been using an outdated protocol (b) for several years, now.  You can force Comcast to use that protocol but the fix lasts only until the next update.  Fitbit needs to get their act together.  Am very disappointed.  

Found an article on Comcast - not Fitbit - that explains why it is so difficult to connect the scale.  The 2.4 GHz network has to be set to 802.11 b/g/n protocol; normally Comcast is set only the later protocol which is 802.11 g/n.  The article even has a touch of humor for those like me who are about to quit. 

Here’s the article

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Internet-Archive/Connecting-Aria-Scale-to-network/m-p/3092716#M533233

See also…

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Aria/Troubleshooting-tips-for-Comcast-routers/m-p/2505881#M24640

Solution is to get an Aria 2, I suppose…not!  I suspect the 802.11 b/g/n issue is why the Fitbit Flex 1 won’t sync, either, but I already gave up on that and have switched over to the Flex 2. 

@KrysKrys4kismet wrote:

Considering how long this process has been going on it seems Fitbit had no intention of fixing this issue. I'll stop recommending fitbit products on the dozens of WW groups I'm I'm and get a renpro. At least I can feel less locked into Fitbit products when I replace my watch at Christmas and go back to Samsung.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yeah, it's frustrating when technology moves on. 

The Aria 1 is unfortunately a legacy product, no longer being produced or sold outside of eBay and other purveyors of old, outdated equipment.  Personally I have a tough time blaming Fitbit for the fact that the Aria was designed to work with a wireless standard that was common when it hit the market, but has pretty much been abandoned in the interim.  Raise your hand if you own software and/or peripherals that worked great under Windows 7, but isn't supported by Windows 10.  Is it the software manufacturer's fault?  Is it Microsoft's fault? I still miss my beloved HP photo and slide scanner that only worked under Windows XP, but never got an updated driver for Win 7 because it was just too old and better scanners were on the market.

So get a Renpho, get an Aria 2, or add a B standard access point to your network to keep the old Aria chugging along.

Yeah, it's frustrating when technology moves on.  But blaming Fitbit for not rolling out some kind of magic update to the Aria 1 is like blaming Sony for not updating their old standard def TV's to high def.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Your comment regarding obsolescence is lame! The 802.11g protocol was
approved in June 2003. I purchased my scale in 2015. No where was there
any comment about the scale working only on 802.11b protocol. You should
need a EE degree to buy a scale and have confidence in it.

Fitbit scammed its customers!
Best Answer