Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to: Setup your Fitbit Aria

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

The simplest and quickest approach to setting up your Aria scale is by installing and running the setup software from here.

If you are unable to complete the setup with this software, we recommend using the web-based setup as a secondary alternative. Complete instructions for this process can be found in this help article, along with the instructional video below.

Setting up your Aria via the Web-based Method

For assistance with putting your Aria in "Setup Active" mode, please consult this post.

If you are unable to complete the setup process using the above information, check this help article for more setup tips. For further assistance, please contact our Support Team at http://contact.fitbit.com or join the discussion in our Aria Community forum. Be sure to provide as many details as possible about where in the process you are getting stuck and what error you are encountering.

Best Answer
293 REPLIES 293

download fitbit aria setup..then it is a piece of cake   you have to have the id and pw for your wifi or it wont work

Best Answer
0 Votes
Have tried this....still won't work. I think it has something to do with my
router specifications not being compatible with the Aria set up. But thank
you to all who have commented!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Success
I purchased an Fitbit Aria Scale, downloaded the software from www.fitbit.com/scale/start and once I installed the software to my computer it would not link to my computer.
When it asked for my Wifi Password it still would not link up. I manually tried to enter my modem information on the Aria generated password under Networks and it still did not work. I returned the scale and tried another one with the same issue. Finally I downloaded the Fitbit App to my Iphone and went to:

1) Setup Device

2) Went to Safari and entering www.fitbit.com/start and followed the instructions

3) it then linked up to my Wifi on my computer with my Wifi on my Smartphone and this is how it connected.
4) It asks you on your Smartphone if you wish to join to your Wifi account on your computer
I discovered that my modem is a newer modem 801.11n and the Aria only connects to older modems 801.1b. Therefore the only bridge I have found to install your Aria scale is through a Smartphone or I believe you can do it through an Android phone also. This is discussed briefly in another community post however is doesn't mention downloading the Fitbit App.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Info I moved your post to a thread where users were experiencing something similar to you. I would recommend checking out the lead-in post in this thread. Hope this helps you out.

Derrick | Retired Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer

I bought an Aria 4 weeks ago at Best buy after 6 hours trying to setup using, my computer, my blackberry, my acer tablet and my husband’s laptop, I was unable to. I contacted Fitbit and they tried to fix it remotely, didn’t work. They said that the unit I had was defective and sent me a new one.

Again after 6 hours trying all the video shows, talking with them they tell me that I have to make my router a “mix receiver” I talked with my IT people that told me I would be inviting trouble into a secure network.

The scale is a disappointment since the setup is so problematic and not user friendly. I have a flex and my husband has a One and both were easy to setup and easy to use.

I a pity that attempt to create an integrated system with the scale is such a flop. I DO NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE TO BY THE SCALE ARIA doesn’t work from the start. If FITBIT fixes the problem and make it easier I might give a try after I hear that the process of setup have been fixed.

I am returning the equipment and I expect a full refund.

Best Answer

@rrlangjr wrote:

Again after 6 hours trying all the video shows, talking with them they tell me that I have to make my router a “mix receiver” I talked with my IT people that told me I would be inviting trouble into a secure network.

I assume make your router  a "mix receiver" means enabling the 802.11b protocol, which is the only one the Fitbit Aria can use to communicate with it (most modern routers use faster protocols like 802.11g or 802.11n). I'm not a network engineer, but I fail to see how your network would be less secure with "n" and "b" enabled, as opposed to "n" only. Security is the result of the authentication and encryption used to access your router. These don't depend on the protocol being used. The only limitation imposed by the Aria relates to the characters that can be used in the SSID name and in the password: some special characters are not allowed, but you can still make a secure password with a proper mix of letters (upper and lower case) and numbers.  I therefore wouldn't blame the Aria for "inviting trouble into a secure network".

@rrlangjr wrote:

I a pity that attempt to create an integrated system with the scale is such a flop. I DO NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE TO BY THE SCALE ARIA doesn’t work from the start.

You should qualify your statement by adding it's based on your personal experience. I've been using an Aria for close to two years and it has served me very well. I recently purchased a competing smart scale (Withings Smart Body Analyzer), just to validate the numbers yielded by the Aria: so far, both scales come very close to each other, for weight and body fat %. Based on my own experience, I WOULD RECOMMEND THE ARIA SCALE to any Fitbit user wishing to integrate weight and body fat data into their account

Moderator edit: merged reply

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Heart the automatic upload of weight / body fat rather than having to manually log.. a normal scale which only displays the weight, doesn't show any progress (weigh increase? oh no must have done something wrong.., wait that could be from becoming stronger, body fat can be lower but it won't be displayed on such scale).. while being leaner and having a flatter tummy. Being fitter but the scale doesn't reflect that.

The Aria Scale provides better insight on progress 'cause it shows a estimation in body fat as well, noticing it decreases / stay the same / or increase a bit over time and possible to change food habits,.. when the increase would go up rather than down when wanting to loose weight or maintaining weight.

http://funny-pics.co/wp-content/uploads/Funny-cat-on-the-scale.jpg

Best Answer
0 Votes

i'm on week 3 of back and forth emails with support - i've tried conecting the scale with my laptop, smartphone and two tablets (ipad + samsung tablet) and no luck..my frustration level is getting high as this should be an easy setup procedure. 

i was thinking of returning the scale in exchange for another model, but then the only time i've been able to have the scale linked is to make my network public... ugh. it signifies that the siutation is somewhere with my router. 

Anyone else using a dlink 815 router?

Best Answer

@krazykanuck wrote:

Anyone else using a dlink 815 router?

No, but I've used older routers from D-Link and they were quite easy to set up. Have you connected to your D-Link 815's IP address in a browser? Have you checked Wireless mode (under Advance wireless settings) is set to "802.11 mixed (g/b)" or "802.11 mixed (n/g/b)", rather than "802.11 n only"? I found a manual here, the relevant settings is on page 59 (64/136 according of the numbering of the PDF). How about the SSID and the WPA password: do they include special characters?

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Best Answer
0 Votes

Did download and didn't work.

Only way I was able to connect is when I opened my network. Not a good thing.

If you can connect you might be right, but if you can not even setup is a mute point.

Moderator edit: Merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

@rrlangjr wrote:
Only way I was able to connect is when I opened my network. Not a good thing

Does your WPA password contains special characters? If it works when there is no protection, but no longer when protection is on, it could be because your password contains special characters.

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer

@rrlangjr wrote:
Only way I was able to connect is when I opened my network. Not a good thing

If you can't get your router to work with the Aria, you may want to use your smartphone as a hotspot (just put it on hotspot mode for the time you are using the Aria). You would then need to launch the setup from another device.

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yup, router is configured to 802.11 mixed (n/g/b). SSID and WPA password are alpa-numeric + numeric characters only. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm going to share with others in case anyone else has a DLINK DIR-815 Router. The response I've received from support:

"I've reviewed your case and understand that you are able to make a successful connection with your Aria only after lowering your network's security.  Looking at previous Support cases with Aria set up and this specific router, it seems that others experienced the same condition where set up was only possible after changing network security to WEP.  

There aren't very many other troubleshoots we are able to recommend as this has been expected behavior with this particular router.  We definitely understand if you are not comfortable with lowering your network security and if return for refund is the best option at this point. "
Best Answer

That is exactly what mine is doing. It says I have successfully set it up but gives me an ERR msg when trying to use it.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I've tried pretty much every tip on here to no avail...I give up! 😞
Best Answer

Hey FitBit - how about taking care of your customers and providing the support we deserve.  It should not be difficult to setup and invite others to use your device.  Talk about poor UX.  We would appreciate a response and fix on this  https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Aria/Cannot-invite-other-people/m-p/707666/highlight/true#M6942

Best Answer

Hello everyone! I wanted to jump in this thread and follow up on your current inquiries about the Aria scale. 

I'm aware that the requirements that the Aria needs in order to connect successfully to a network are very meticulous or specific. I see that some if you mentioned that you have tried all of the troubleshooting steps or recommendations in order to setup the Aria, however, I just want to confirm, @cromelln did you only try setting up the scale using a router or did you try the web based method by using a mobile device? Can you be more specific to what steps have you taken, thanks!

@krazykanuck I read that you wanted to return your scale, were you able to do so?

@margiem It's great to hear that you were able to setup the Aria! Maybe you can share what you did in order to have a successful setup process. In regard to your current issue, what I recommend you do is to follow the instructions listed in this article. This should get you back on track, otherwise, feel free to contact Customer Support.

@beeber Thank you for sharing the link to the other thread you have been posting your experience with the Aria and customer support. This issue has been forwarded to our developers and they are currently working on this. I would appreciate your patience while they find a solution since there isn't a specific time frame for this. I also appreciate your interest in keeping an open communication with support, however, since there hasn't been any updates shared about a fix, they might tell you the same response, so I ask for your understanding in this matter.

I will also take the liberty to forward your feedback on how customer support handled your case via phone and chat. This is very valuable information to us in order to improve on any weak areas and provide the best assistance.

If you wish for us to also follow up on the issue you are having with sending invites, please provide me with the email address linked to your Fitbit account through a private message, if you prefer it that way.

Thanks!

Melissa | Community Moderator, Fitbit

How are you fitbitting with your (pet) best friend? Show us!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Mcore Maybe you mistook my postings with someone else's - I don't want to return my Aria yet.. through multiple emails with customer service for support on trying to connect my Aria securely to my network, it was found that with my model of router the only way to have it connected is to publicly open my home network. I am now in the midst of shopping for a newer model router.

Best Answer

The ONLY wat I could get my Aria connected to my Apple Airport was to change the following setting on the Airport:

Wireless

Wireless option

Radio

choose 801.11a/n-8.02.11 b/g automatic

NO other Radio choice works!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes