Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to: Setup your Fitbit Aria

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

The simplest and quickest approach to setting up your Aria scale is by installing and running the setup software from here.

If you are unable to complete the setup with this software, we recommend using the web-based setup as a secondary alternative. Complete instructions for this process can be found in this help article, along with the instructional video below.

Setting up your Aria via the Web-based Method

For assistance with putting your Aria in "Setup Active" mode, please consult this post.

If you are unable to complete the setup process using the above information, check this help article for more setup tips. For further assistance, please contact our Support Team at http://contact.fitbit.com or join the discussion in our Aria Community forum. Be sure to provide as many details as possible about where in the process you are getting stuck and what error you are encountering.

Best Answer
293 REPLIES 293

Me too, @timf - I'm using my good 'ol floor scale and it works just fine. I type in the numbers every morning and it syncs perfectly with my Fitbit dashboard - quick, easy, dependable, and no worries. I could've saved myself a few hours of frustration and time last Saturday afternoon by not trying to hook up an Aria. Love my Fitbit Charge HR though!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@timf

You definitely do not need a new router. Your Comcast router should work fine. Did you have a look at the pages I linked too?

Do you know how to login to your router?

@Julia_G

No, that's not what I was suggesting... BUT... If you have the time to try a couple of things perhaps we can get this working...

Seeing as you have a second device that you are using to configure the Aria scales anyway, maybe try switching them around.

e.g:

1. You have your phone which provides your internet connection in your home.

2. You have a 2nd device (phone or tablet) that you are using to setup your Arial scales to connect to your phone.

Test:

So if it's possible ( and this is just as a test) put the SIM from your phone in the 2nd device and configure it as your internet gateway.  Then try using your phone to configure the scales to connect to the second device.

Alternately, what make/model phone do you have? Perhaps I can have a look at the specs or test it out with my phone here. I have three android phones and a few apple devices as well.

And (I'm sure you mentioned this already, but) exactly what error do you get on the scales and at what point?

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

@thedriver, you are so kind to keep trying to help me with this!  I can't try your experiment, however.  I only have one device that I can use to connect to the internet, and that is my phone (Nokia Lumia 925).  I use it as a wifi hotspot and connect my computer and iPad to it, with no problems.  I have an unlimited data account which allows tethering, so this is the best solution for me as I live on a boat and am not connected to landlines, cable, satellite or any so thing.  My phone's wifi settings are: WLAN IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n, which means it ought to work with the Aria.  Its WLAN security settings are: WPA, WEP, EAP-AKA, PEAP-MSCHAPv2, WPA2 (AES/TKIP), WPA2-Enterprise, WPA2-Personal, WPA-Enterprise, EAP-SIM, WPA-Personal, which I understand is also what is required, and as it is a cellular connection it is a dynamic IP address. 

In running either the web set up or the little downloadable tool (with the very annoying unresizable windows) pretty much the same thing happens:  I detect the Aria, I connect to the Aria, the Aria detects my network, asks for password, tells me it is on the last step and all I need to do is reconnect to my network and confirm I am connected and then I get the dreaded wifi err message and the scale reverts to set up active.

"Support" offer such useful advice as "make sure the scale is within 10 ft of the router" (it is right next to the router = phone), make sure the password is correct and doesn't contain special characters and isn't longer than 31 characters (it is, it doesn't and it isn't) and then they just refer me back to the instructions.

They do say, without explanation, that there might be "other incompatibilties" -- which I guess there are!

Thanks again!

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer
0 Votes

@timf

Changing the protocols on your router to enable an extra protocol (802.11b) won't stop any of your other devices connecting as long as you keep the other protocols (802.11g and 802.11n) enabled.

It also shouldn't affect the speed of your connections as the scales only commincate with your router when you use them and then they're off the rest of the time. So the network connection speed should remain consistent for your other devices.

And if you find it is causing you ANY problem after you've enabled 802.11b, then you can just change it back to the way it was and everything will remain the same as if you hadn't don'e anything.

If you want, you can read more about 802.11b and the influence on network speeds here:

http://www.howtogeek.com/210062/how-802.11b-devices-slow-down-your-wi-fi-network-and-what-you-can-do...

@Julia_G

Okay, my suggestion would be to try this as a test...

a. Change your Wifi hostpot name (I think this is referred to as the "Broadcast Name") on your Lumia to something simple like wireless, but importantly, the hostspot name is different and new.

b. Set the Password on your Lumia to something simple and new, perjaps like, myW1F1password

c. Connect your ipad to your phone's new hotspot, then open your web browser on the ipda and go to www.fitbit.com/scale/setup/start and click on Get Started, then follow the prompts.

d. When prompted, remove your Aria's batterys for 10 seconds (or however long it is to put them into setup mode) and reinsert them. The scales should show SETUP ACTIVE.

e. When prompted, connect your ipad to the Aria's wireless network and follow the setup using the new settings for your phone.

See if that works...

It's not ideal, but it might just be an issue with your wireless network name or password or a combination of them. I've seen this happen on computers too that can't connect to the wireless network for whatever reason , but changing the wireless name solves it.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Julia_G

Okay, my suggestion would be to try this as a test...

a. Change your Wifi hostpot name (I think this is referred to as the "Broadcast Name") on your Lumia to something simple like wireless, but importantly, the hostspot name is different and new.

b. Set the Password on your Lumia to something simple and new, perjaps like, myW1F1password

c. Connect your ipad to your phone's new hotspot, then open your web browser on the ipda and go to www.fitbit.com/scale/setup/start and click on Get Started, then follow the prompts.

d. When prompted, remove your Aria's batterys for 10 seconds (or however long it is to put them into setup mode) and reinsert them. The scales should show SETUP ACTIVE.

e. When prompted, connect your ipad to the Aria's wireless network and follow the setup using the new settings for your phone.

See if that works...

It's not ideal, but it might just be an issue with your wireless network name or password or a combination of them. I've seen this happen on computers too that can't connect to the wireless network for whatever reason , but changing the wireless name solves it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Alas, I already thought of this!  The name of my hotspot contained an underscore so I thought that might be the problem.  I renamed it JuliaNokia, which I thought was pretty simple -- but no go!  It just doesn't like my system so back it goes.  The good news is I bought the Withings scale (sadly significantly more expensive) and it likes my phone hotspot just fine.  Worked straight away with no hiccups and syncs nicely to the FitBit software.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Count me in the group that can not get the Aria to find my network. I have tried all three methods of setup with no luck. I have an older router that I use that is set up to "mixed" so I should be able to get both g/b. My network name does not have any special characters in it. 

When I go through the processs I get far enough where I am on the aria network. The aria itself is saying "Network Detected". But it is not finding any networks at all. This happens both when I have tried it on my phone as well as my laptop. I have clicked the refresh button but there are still no networks to select from. 

At this point I am wondering if I have a defective device or if there is still something wonky going on between my network and the Aria. Does anyone have any one have any advice before I exhange it for a new one?

Best Answer
0 Votes
From my experience, and from what I have read here, I would doubt if an exchanged Aria would solve the problem, but please let us know if you succeed!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm just trying to setup my scale, and I'm having what appears to be a very common problem.

When using the little applet downloaded from fitbit.com/start, I make it all the way to the point where the applet says "Transferring your network settings to Aria scale", which always fails.

The scale is in Setup mode. I can see the Aria WiFi network, and I can even connect to it from my tablet, though it does show up as "Limited", of course. I can also see it from my phone, but when I try to connect using my phone, I get a message on my phone that says "Your phone cannot connect to this network".

I have Wireless b/g enabled on my Fios router with WEP enabled security.

Any help getting this thing to work would be greatly appreciated. Right now, it doesn't look like I can use it to simply weigh myself until I get past the setup.

Best Answer

I've just spent the past 2 hours trying to troubleshoot why my Aria won't connect to the router anymore. I've replaced the batteries, reset the device, tried setting up the device again but every time I try to select my SSID in windows the Aria cancels setup.

I've had the weight scale for over a year now. Haven't made any changes to my network in 6 months. When I initially set up the scale I had the same problems but was able to get it to work somehow.

Best Answer
0 Votes

3 hours of troubleshooting.

I use a DLINK 615.  Mixed mode.  Auto-channel.  WEP.  I fiddled with every setting, with no luck.  The application would not work on 3 separate PCs (win xp, 7 and 8.1).  I used an android tablet to connect to the scale and had WIFI ERR continuously.

I eventually just turned off all security and it connected.  I swapped to WPA (back to it actually) and it finally worked, after having set it to no security and changing the password.  So now I have to change the password on the dozen+ devices already connected to my network.

I have to say, this is one of the least intuitive pieces of technology I have ever come across.  I am thankful I work in IT, and even then I'm sure I have more gray hair now.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Why is it so hard to set up the aria scales? Ice tried setting it twice. When I step on it shows hi 🙂 step on but no other information will show. It's not a cheap product so I'm disappointed that's it's so difficult to get going😡
Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome aboard @lauraby. Setting up the Aria can sometimes be tricky since it requires a series of specifications from your router. You can check out this specifications . After taking in consideration this, please give the setup process another try making sure you have the scale within 20 feet from the router.

Let me know if this helped. Smiley Happy

Melissa | Community Moderator, Fitbit

How are you fitbitting with your (pet) best friend? Show us!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks Melissa. I have it right beside the router. It showed that it was set up but when I step on it keeps telling me to step on..... I've had no other information. I've reset my internet too but to no avail
Best Answer
0 Votes

I see @lauraby. OK, please try the troubleshooting steps listed in this article. After doing this, you should be able to use the scale. If this is not the case, let me know.

Thanks!

Best Answer
No luck Melissa. I've removed the batteries and replaced them but I'm still getting step on step off message.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for your reply @lauraby. I believe that the best thing to do is to contact customer support at http://contact.fitbit.com or by calling (877) 623-4997 between the hours of 4am-8pm PST Mon-Fri and 6am-5pm PST on weekends. I'm sure they will get you back on track soon.

Remember you can always contact me back if you have any other questions or comments. 

Best Answer
Thank you Melissa. I really do appreciate your help.
Best Answer
0 Votes

just got my aria scales today. i have been faffing about all afternoon now trying to set it up. have tried at least 10 times with my iphone, at least 6 times with windows 8 computer. near tears. this is unbelievable, i just keep getting stuck. seems like its going to work then...just doesnt. im going to return the **ahem** things to the shop soon, really disappointed.

Best Answer
Seems really difficult to set up. I'm very disappointed in Fitbit and Harvey Norman. I made two calls to the store support and I'm still waiting on a call back,

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes