Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seniors

Hi,  I am 65 years old.  I am looking for friends that are retired and just starting out.  I just got my FitBit for Christmas, as so far loving it.  I would love to have some friends in my age group and fitness level to work with and help to keep me motivated.  

Best Answer
132 REPLIES 132

June-Being a caregiver takes a lot of time.  Your Mother is blessed that you want to "give back".

We have a lot of bike races here in Texas during the summer.  The front 20% feel they are racing.  The other 80% are just out for a good time and friendship.  Sure no pressure on speed.  With some practice, you might see your youth coming back.  I know you can reach your goal.----Gee, thinking of 90.  I know I probably have only 2-3 GOOD years left.  Quality is more important than than quantity.  Take care of yourself.

Marathon 101

Cliff

Best Answer

Keep up the walking your doing good. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes swings yours arms but not so high and Fitbit calculates. Maybe use the poles? Keep stepping! 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi cliff

I know what you mean about the bike. My granddaughter rides in downtown Toronto and it really worries me. Hope you also have a safe happy summer.

Norma

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

Norma-Maybe us seniors, 5 or 6 of us have a comment every few weeks.  I feel that we all have more to say but kinda hold it in.  We don't know where anyone of us lives so we are no threat to each other.  We might become better friends through Emails. My Email is run101m@aol.com. if someone might want to Email me.  Let's all have a good summer.  I go to the coast next week for 4 days.  It is a 6 hour drive but I will enjoy getting away.  Have some long walks along the beach  early in the morning before it gets to 98 degrees or a little higher.  Good seafood awaits me.

Cliff

Best Answer

I am lucky to have my 90 year old mother with me for so long. I am an only child, and my mother was a stay home Mom. She was a friend, and kept me entertained, as well as healthy. Caring for her is the least I can do.                                                                               Where do you live in Texas?  I was in San Antonio when I was in the army, and loved it. I belonged to a large bicycle group, and we mostly did recreational, and touring cycling. We were a social, and fun group of riders. I miss cycling, as I loved riding in the country, which I found relaxing. I was able to bike ride for 2 years when I retired in 2014, and that is because my mother was not as confused. I biked 11 to 30 miles a day.                          Know I enjoy walking my dog, and neighbors dog, twice a day.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Walking is excellent exercise, and especially enjoyable while walking a beloved dog. I live in Canada. I must find some way to get mor3 exercise. I have a Balance issue. The doctor has advised that I have broken capillaries in my cerebellum which controls balance. I walk with a cane and get dizzy very easily. Perhaps you can suggest some form of exercise that I might try

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

June, I live in Waco.  I have always enjoyed working but "retired" when I was 74.  Not being a real social person,  I started substitution teaching to keep me busy.  Did that for 5 years but I seem to be tired when I got home.  Body was just not "it's old self".  With total retirement now I can get out early and do my walking and a little jogging twice times a week.  Going to the gym seems to be a big help.  Walk, jogging and running were a big part of my life for 20 years and I really missed it.  Ability is sure not what it use to be, but I have to look at my age.  I use to be able to work and train as a package but I knew I could not do both at a good level.  Now, every day is Saturday, and I can get outside like I want.  My Dad died at age 63 and Mother earlier.  Dad was a doctor----but that is another story.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Norma--Balance seems to a problem for a lot of use as we get older.  Probably caused by age or medical problem.  Because of a stroke, I do use a cane at night and the first ten minutes when I get up.  I don't always walk straight during but I am very careful of my steps. You might consider going to a gym.  Stationary bicycles and other equipment might be useful to you.  People of all ages and ability are at the gym so you can fit in.  I find going early is the best time for me.  The "young ones" are working so I am around some people  that I can relate to.  I am glad you use a cane when needed.  Falling and possibly breaking a hip is bad news for any of us.  Every day is a new beginning so get out there and enjoy yourself. Keep moving.  Have a good summer. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Have a fabulous time

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello, All!  My name is Barbara and I just purchased a Versa a few days ago.  Over the years I've owned a Fitbit One, a Charge, an Alta HR and now the Versa.  I am 60, and used to exercise avidly (step aerobics, weight lifting DVDs, walking).  The past three or four years I have turned very sedentary due to some personal challenges.  The most recent year has been the most sedentary as I have struggled with severe plantar faciitis.  I just had surgery last week, and bought the Versa with the intention of starting back to exercise as soon as my stitches are removed.  I am not sure how to begin after four years of doing nothing (other than adding 40 pounds to my 5'1" frame). Walking has been so painful for so long, i guess I'm a bit afraid to trust my feet again. 🙂  I'm looking forward to sharing motivation with this group.

Best Answer

Barbara---I am surely no expert but I would consider a gym.  These machines are non pounding which give less stress on your feet. You might also consider a rowing machine. A stationary bicycle could help with your movement and could add strength to your legs.  You are on the right track, that is you know you have gained some weight and you have problems with your feet.  You are still young and you want to take action.  Think positive and hang in there.  Have a good summer.  Bless you.

Cliff

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi    I am new here. I do cardio twice a week also Zumba and bang power Zumba with weighted gloves. I try to walk once or twice a week. I guess you could say I like exercise. I have a alta fitbit. How are you doing?   Gale

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi Gail

I’m 73 and have fallen off track. I have balance issues and have stopped walking. I need to get back on track. Continue doing what you can. The more we try the more we can do

Norma

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Norma,  I am a returnee.  I hope you can regain some balance and start walking again, some day.  I have some balance issues and have fallen way out of shape, gained a LOT of weight over the past 4 years or so.  Prior to that I was running in 5K's!!!   I'm 64, will turn 65 this fall.  I had an extreme wake up call when I recently had a 5 day conference in Las Vegas and could barely make it walking from my hotel to the conference center.  Oh, and the airport concourse gate was always the last one at a very long concourse.  But, you know what after recovering from extremely swollen feet, ankles, legs after my return.  I felt a bit stronger.  I decided to get a fitbit Versa.  I've had it for a couple of weeks now.  I like it.

Because I have some balance issues, I thought well I will try some beginning yoga they've been hawking on t.v.  Can't get through the first one without gasping for air and feeling like I cannot balance well enough to do it.  I think I'm going to order that Tai Cheng I see advertised on t.v. and hawked by Dick VanDyke, who is 92.  That may help me with my balance a little better.  In the meantime, I can walk and that's what I've been doing, increasing little by little, trying to get to 10,000 steps per day.

I also wanted to mention, your Doctor could also refer you to Physical Therapy for balance training.  Might not be a bad idea for you.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

As we get older, we seen to have balance issues.  Falling and breaking a hip would be BAD.  I find a lot of confidence in using a cane at night.  This could a cheap way to make you feel mentally stronger.  Hang in there.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hello.

My doctor says my balance issues are caused from silent mini strokes
In the cerebellum. I do pretty well with the cane and find I can’t last more than 15 or 20 minutes without feeling extremely fatigued and dizzy. I think I need a new fit bit. I have the very first one that came out I think it’s called the Fitbit one and lately it doesn’t seem to be holding a charge. I must say I’ve taken it off and not used it for sometime now.
After receiving several emails from the Fitbit community I decided to put it back on and try to get moving. I encourage you to keep trying doing a little bit further each day as I am also trying to do the same. Good luck and thank you for the encouragement
Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
Thank you for your encouragement. I do use a cane all the time but find I can only go for about 20 minutes without feeling fatigued and dizzy. I do much better with a walker. I’m not sure what my issue is I just don’t seem to be able to get moving.I’m going to make an honest effort as soon as this dreadful heat declines.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

Not sure how to do this either I am 80 years old and can no longer go in the pool so my kids but me the Fitbit. I'm not sure if it's synced right but I think I do about five to six thousand steps a day. Find it kind of lonely because most people my age don't participate in trying to keep themselves healthy.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Keep doing what you can. Move and walk. The 80 is the new 70! 😊

Sent from
my iPhone ~GAIL~yes
Best Answer