Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blaze Battery

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My new Blaze will not hold a charge.

l was able to synch the Blaze to my fitbit account via the iOS app, but the Blaze will not charge. The device is in the charging cradle; pins aligned; cradle snapped shut. The screen shows a small battery icon in the upper left with a single flashing red bar.

It will not charge further, no matter whether it's connected to a USB outlet (wall or charging adapter) or to a laptop port. I let the battery drain overnight and again to charge it. Same result. Low battery state. I've reset the Blaze multiple times. It briefly showed the large battery icon, but the battery never takes a charge.

I tried charging it in my wife's Blaze cradle (her device works fine). No joy.

I'd appreciate repair advice to avoid returning the device for a replacement. I've just about concluded that the device has a bad battery.

Jim

Best Answer
27 REPLIES 27

Wow! had I known this!  Fitbit should have notified us... after all, they have our contact info!  This is nuts!

@SFCRTucker wrote:

They said they are changing the instructions for charging. Never charge with a wall charger, never charge more than 4 hours. Sounds like they have a real problem with the blaze, and I wouldn't be surprised if they quit making it real quick. Bad engineering with the battery or something. Time to get something else after this one dies in 9-10 months. I like it, but it won't keep working.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Samdog99 I would want to see a link to this quote.

As someone who has been playing around with electricity since he was 7, when I built my first AM crystal radio. I understand a little about electricity.

First thing to note is a device will only use the power it needs even if the source can supply a lot more. This is why a 1000 watt hair dryer can be plugged into the same outlet as a 1.5 watt night lite and both units are happy. It makes no sense from an electrical point of view to say a wall phone charger can not be used.

However some of the high tech wall units, along with some portable power packs will not work.Thwy have circuits that automatically turn off the charging once the battery is charged. I found that the Fitbit unit pull so little current that the charging unit turns off to soon and the Fitbit never gets fully charged.

All USB ports on a computer or a phone charger are about 5 volts. 

The Fitbit has a built in battery charging circuit, most of the Fitbit models have a controller designed to accept up to 30 volts. Don't try it, the Fitbit's could not handle the excess heat.

Some wall chargers only put out 500 mA which is what a PC port is designed to provide. While other wall units may put out as much as 2000 mA. The charge controller will only take what it needs.

As for 4 hours, a Fitbit, phone, laptop, in fact any battery operated device should not be left on the charger once it us charged. The excess heat is what kills batteries. Fitbit has always said that it was ok to leave it on it's charger even though no phone manufacturer says that it is ok.

When it comes to charge ingredients a lithium battery, ideally it should not be charged much above 80% or let get below 30%. Studies have shown this is best to prolong the life.

When a lithium battery is left dead it starts to break down and .shortens the expected life. The user may find the battery gets warmer during the charge cycle and the extra heat then does more damage.

Leaving the unit in a hot car is also not good.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Samdog99 wrote:

Wow! had I known this!  Fitbit should have notified us... after all, they have our contact info!  This is nuts!

@SFCRTucker wrote:

They said they are changing the instructions for charging. Never charge with a wall charger, never charge more than 4 hours. Sounds like they have a real problem with the blaze, and I wouldn't be surprised if they quit making it real quick. Bad engineering with the battery or something. Time to get something else after this one dies in 9-10 months. I like it, but it won't keep working.

Samdog, you're a laughable troll at best. An opinion from a 2 time poster over a year ago cleared it all up for you huh? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi guys, thanks for your participation in the Forums.

If you are experiencing battery issues, I recommend taking a look at this post and follow the instructions provided there. Now about the discount some of you have received, you can check this page where you will be able to compare all the Fitbit trackers, maybe there is one that meet your needs.

Also, I suggest checking our warranty policy.

Catch you later. Smiley Happy

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer

After being totally blank for a day, the watch green lights in the back were flashing, and the time was correct, but placing it in the charging cradle only showed a red line flashing. Sounds like its not getting a new charge even though it kept the right time for the past 2 days. I will contact fitbit support, but I have a feeling since my warranty expired I will not get a replacement, and I have no intention on buying a new one.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @Bentleyjk, it's nice to see you around. I'm sorry for my delayed response.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I see where are you coming from and I'll help you out with your Blaze not charging correctly. If you've not done so, please try the following steps:

1. Clean the gold contacts on your device and charging cable.

2. Try a different USB port or a UL-certified wall charger.

3. Restart your device.

4. Try charging it for about 2 hours before using it.

Let me know how it goes. Woman Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you.

I tried what you said , and at first nothing. somehow it just started
working and I charged it.
Best Wishes & Make it a wonderful Day

Moderator edit: removed personal information

Best Answer

Hi @Bentleyjk, thanks for getting back.

I'm so happy that your device started to work again, and thanks for trying my suggestions. You did a great job! I wish you a great day (It's almost Friday Woman Very Happy)!

I'd like to invite you to visit our Discussion Board where you can share your experiences, meet people and create new topics.

See you around.

Best Answer
0 Votes